- White-bellied Nothura
White-bellied Nothura Illustration by Joseph Smit, 1895 Conservation status Scientific classification Kingdom: Animalia Phylum: Chordata Class: Aves Order: Tinamiformes Family: Tinamidae Subfamily: Nothurinae Genus: Nothura Species: N. boraquira Binomial name Nothura boraquira
- Nothura marmorata
The White-bellied Nothura is a monotypic species. All tinamous are from the family Tinamidae, and in the larger scheme are also ratites. Unlike other ratites, tinamous can fly, although in general, they are not strong fliers. All ratites evolved from prehistoric flying birds, and tinamous are the closest living relative of these birds.
The White-bellied Nothura is approximately 27 cm (11 in) in length. Its upper parts are light brown and barred black with white streaks. Its throat is white, its foreneck is buff with black streaking, its breast is buff and its belly is white. Its crown is dark brown and the sides of its head are buff. The legs are bright yellow and the inner webs of its primaries are uniformly dark, unlike in the closely related Spotted Nothura.
Like other tinamous, the White-bellied Nothura eats fruit off the ground or low-lying bushes. They also eat small amounts of invertebrates, flower buds, tender leaves, seeds, and roots. The male incubates the eggs which may come from as many as 4 different females, and then will raise them until they are ready to be on their own, usually 2–3 weeks. The nest is located on the ground in dense brush or between raised root buttresses.
Range and habitat
The White-bellied Nothura prefers dry shrubland regions up to 500 m (1,600 ft) in altitude. It can also be found in dry grassland, savanna, caatinga, and occasionally pastures. This species is native to northeastern and central Brazil, eastern Bolivia and Paraguay.
- BirdLife International (2008). Nothura boraquira. In: IUCN 2008. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Downloaded on 12 Feb 2009.
- BirdLife International (2008(a)). "White-bellied Nothura - BirdLife Species Factsheet". Data Zone. http://www.birdlife.org/datazone/species/index.html?action=SpcHTMDetails.asp&sid=54&m=1. Retrieved 12 Feb 2009.
- Brands, Sheila (Aug 14 2008). "Systema Naturae 2000 / Classification,Genus Nothura". Project: The Taxonomicon. http://www.taxonomy.nl/Main/Classification/51372.htm. Retrieved 12 Feb 2009.
- Clements, James (2007). The Clements Checklist of the Birds of the World (6 ed.). Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press. ISBN 978 0 8014 4501 9.
- Davies, S.J.J.F. (2003). "Tinamous". In Hutchins, Michael. Grzimek's Animal Life Encyclopedia. 8 Birds I Tinamous and Ratites to Hoatzins (2 ed.). Farmington Hills, MI: Gale Group. pp. 57–59. ISBN 0 7876 5784 0.
- White-bellied Nothura photo gallery VIREO Photo-High Res
- White-bellied Nothura: Photos The Avifauna of the Interior of Ceará, Brazil
Tinamous (order: Tinamiformes • family: Tinamidae) Subfamily Tinaminae Nothurinae
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
white-bellied nothura — baltapilvė notura statusas T sritis zoologija | vardynas atitikmenys: lot. Nothura boraquira angl. white bellied nothura vok. Weißbauch Steißhuhn, n rus. белобрюхий нотура, m pranc. tinamou boraquira, m ryšiai: platesnis terminas – noturos … Paukščių pavadinimų žodynas
white-bellied nothura — noun A tinamou, Nothura boraquira … Wiktionary
Nothura — Scientific classification Kingdom: Animalia Phylum: Chordata Class: Aves … Wikipedia
Nothura boraquira — baltapilvė notura statusas T sritis zoologija | vardynas atitikmenys: lot. Nothura boraquira angl. white bellied nothura vok. Weißbauch Steißhuhn, n rus. белобрюхий нотура, m pranc. tinamou boraquira, m ryšiai: platesnis terminas – noturos … Paukščių pavadinimų žodynas
Spotted Nothura — Conservation status Least Co … Wikipedia
Darwin's Nothura — Illustration by Joseph Smit, 1895 Conservation status … Wikipedia
Lesser Nothura — Conservation status Vulnerable (IUCN 3.1) … Wikipedia
Chaco Nothura — Conservation status Least Concern (IUCN 3.1) … Wikipedia
List of birds of Paraguay — This is a list of the bird species recorded in Paraguay. The avifauna of Paraguay includes a total of 700 species, of which 1 is endemic, 2 have been introduced by humans, and 12 are rare or accidental. 27 species are globally threatened.This… … Wikipedia
List of birds of Brazil — Brazil has one of the richest bird diversities in the world, with more than 1700 species of birds, about 57% of the bird species recorded for all of South America. These numbers are still increasing, almost every year, due to new occurrences or… … Wikipedia