- Andrés Duany
Duany was born in New York City but grew up in Cuba until 1960. He attended The Choate School (now Choate Rosemary Hall) and received his undergraduate degree in architecture and urban planning from Princeton University. After a year of study at the Ecole des Beaux Arts in Paris, he received a master's degree in architecture from the Yale School of Architecture.
In 1977, Duany was co-founder of the Miami firm Arquitectonica, with his wife, Elizabeth Plater-Zyberk, Bernardo Fort-Brescia, Laurinda Hope Spear, and Hervin Romney. Arquitectonica became famous for its signature style, a dramatic, expressive 'high tech' modernism. The firm's Atlantis Condominium was featured prominently in the opening credits of "Miami Vice."
Duany and Plater-Zyberk founded Duany Plater Zyberk & Company (DPZ) in 1980, headquartered in Miami, Florida. DPZ became a leader in the national movement called the New Urbanism, which seeks to end suburban sprawl and urban disinvestment. The firm first received international recognition in the 1980s as the designer of Seaside, Florida and Kentlands, Maryland, and has completed designs and codes for over two hundred new towns, regional plans, and community revitalization projects. At DPZ, Duany also led the development of comprehensive municipal zoning ordinances that prescribe appropriate urban arrangement for all uses and all densities.
Duany is a co-founder and emeritus board member of the Congress for the New Urbanism, established in 1993. He has co-authored two books: "Suburban Nation: The Rise of Sprawl and the Decline of the American Dream" and "The New Civic Art." Duany has worked as visiting professor at many institutions and holds two honorary doctorates.
He also helped design Cornell, a community in Markham, Ontario, Canada.
He was featured in the Canadian documentary Radiant City (2006) on suburban sprawl.
- ^ a b c d Hetherington, Peter (2006-09-20). "Urban legend". The Guardian. http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2006/sep/20/communities.guardiansocietysupplement1.
- ^ http://www.alysbeach.com/ArchitectureandHomeDesign/DuanyPlaterZyberk/tabid/108/Default.aspx
- Duany, Andrés, Elizabeth Plater-Zyberk, and Jeff Speck (2000). Suburban Nation: The Rise of Sprawl and the Decline of the American Dream. New York: North Point Press. ISBN 0-86547-606-3
- Duany, Andrés, Elizabeth Plater-Zyberk, and Robert Alminana (2003). The New Civic Art: Elements of Town Planning. New York: Rizzoli International Publications. ISBN 0-8478-2186-2
- Lombard, Joanna (2005). The Architecture of Duany Plater-Zyberk and Company. New York: Rizzoli International Publications. ISBN 0-8478-2600-7
- Duany, Andrés and Jeff Speck, with Mike Lydon (2009). The Smart Growth Manual. New York: McGraw-Hill. ISBN 0-07-137675-5
- Duany Plater-Zyberk & Company
- Congress for the New Urbanism
- Subdivided: Isolation and Community in America A Documentary Film featuring Andrés Duany media
- "San Antonio By Design" A 1991 lecture and slide show media
- "On the Edge: Latest views from Andrés Duany" January 2008 lecture for SFU's City Program in streaming video
- "The Next Urbanism is not New Urbanism" May 2010 Congress for New Urbanism 18, streaming video.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
См. также в других словарях:
Andrés Duany — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Andrés Duany Información personal Nombre Andrés Duany Nacimiento 7 de septiembre de 1949 New York Estudio Duany Plater Zyberk Company … Wikipedia Español
Andrés Duany — (* 7. September 1949 in New York City) ist ein US amerikanischer Architekt und Stadtplaner. Leben Duany wuchs bis 1960 in Kuba auf. Er machte einen Bachelor in Architektur und Stadtplanung an der Princeton University. Nach einem Jahr an der… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Duany Plater-Zyberk & Company — (DPZ) is a Miami, Florida based architecture and town planning firm founded in 1980 by the husband and wife team of Andrés Duany and Elizabeth Plater Zyberk. It is one of the dominant firms specializing in new urbanist town planning in the United … Wikipedia
Duany — ist der Familienname folgender Personen: Andrés Duany (*1949), amerikanischer Architekt und Stadtplaner Kueth Duany (*1980), amerikanischer Basketballspieler Raúl (Bueno) Duany (*1975), kubanischer Zehnkämpfer Diese Seite ist eine Begriffsklärun … Deutsch Wikipedia
Andres — ist ein männlicher Vorname, kommt aber auch als Familienname vor. Herkunft und Bedeutung des Namens griechisch:andros = Mann (Genitiv), also nach seiner Männlichkeit benannt. Bekannte Namensträger Vorname Inhaltsverzeichnis A B C D E F G H I … Deutsch Wikipedia
Duany, Andres, and Plater-Zyberk, Elizabeth — ▪ 1998 In 1980 a Florida developer hired Andres Duany and Elizabeth Plater Zyberk to design a resort called Seaside on 30 ha (80 ac) of Gulf Coast scrubland. By 1997 the Miami based husband and wife team of architects and planners were… … Universalium
New Urbanism — Neotraditionalism redirects here. For other uses, see Neotraditional. New Urbanism is an urban design movement, which promotes walkable neighborhoods that contain a range of housing and job types. It arose in the United States in the early 1980s … Wikipedia
Elizabeth Plater-Zyberk — (born December 10, 1950 in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania) is an American architect and urban planner based in Miami, Florida. A member of the first class of women to graduate from Princeton University, she received her undergraduate degree in… … Wikipedia
Prospect New Town — is a New Urbanist housing development located on the southern edge of the city of Longmont in Boulder County, Colorado in the United States. The first full scale new urbanist new development in Colorado, it was developed starting in the mid 1990s … Wikipedia
Architecture and Civil Engineering — ▪ 2009 Introduction Architecture For Notable Civil Engineering Projects in work or completed in 2008, see Table (Notable Civil Engineering Projects (in work or completed, 2008)). Beijing was the centre of the world of architecture… … Universalium