Beloit Water Tower

Beloit Water Tower

Infobox nrhp
name = Beloit Water Tower
nrhp_type =


caption = Beloit Water Tower
location = 1005 Pleasant St.
Beloit, Wisconsin
nearest_city =
lat_degrees =
lat_minutes =
lat_seconds =
lat_direction =
long_degrees =
long_minutes =
long_seconds =
long_direction =
area =
built =
architect = J. B. Kinley
architecture =
added = January 7, 1983
visitation_num =
visitation_year =
refnum =83003410
mpsub = Beloit MRA
governing_body =
The Beloit Water Tower is an historic 1889 octagonal limestone water tower in Beloit, Wisconsin.

The tower, completed in 1889 to serve the city's water needs, particularly fire protection, was built by a consortium of local businessmen. Eventually serving 25,000 customers, it was abandoned after the completion of an adjacent steel water tower with twice the capacity around 1935, and allowed to stand due to excessive demolition costs.

The structure, located on a bluff overlooking the Rock River just north of the Beloit College campus, originally contained a 100,000 gallon water tank made of cypress, and pressurized seven miles of pipes.

A "Beloit Daily News" article in 1935 said it was "once regarded as the finest piece of masonry in the west". It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983. The Shingle Style pump house at the base of the bluff now acts as the Beloit Visitor Center.

External links

* [http://www.ohiobarns.com/othersites/watertowers/wi/49-45stone.html Stone Octagon Water Tower] (with photograph)
* [http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/wlhba/articleView.asp?pg=3&id=5050&hdl=&np=Beloit+Daily+News&adv=yes&ln=&fn=&q=&y1=&y2=&ci=&co=&mhd=&shd= Old stone water tower, 'built too well', allowed to stand] - Wisconsin Historical Society
* [http://www.cciwi.com/media/beloit.pdf Beloit Visitor Center: A City Symbol Stands Proud Again]


Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.


Поделиться ссылкой на выделенное

Прямая ссылка:
Нажмите правой клавишей мыши и выберите «Копировать ссылку»