Malayan Banking Berhad
மலேயன் நிதியகம் (Tamil)
Type Public Industry Financial Services Founded May 31, 1960 Founder(s) Khoo Teck Puat Headquarters Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia Area served Financial services in:
Papua New Guinea
Pakistan,United States, United Kingdom, Bahrain, Thailand
Abdul Wahid Omar, President and CEOKhairussaleh Ramli, Deputy President and CFO
Products Banking and Finance Services Revenue RM12.87 billion (FY2010) Net income RM3.818 billion (FY2010) Total assets RM336.67 billion (FY2010) Website http://www.maybank.com
Maybank (MYX: 1155), a trade name for Malayan Banking Berhad is the largest bank and financial group in Malaysia, with significant banking operations in Singapore, Indonesia and the Philippines. The bank also has large interests in Islamic banking through Maybank Islamic Berhad and insurance via its Etiqa subsidiary. Maybank is the largest bank in Malaysia with 384 domestic branches and 190 international branches and offices. Maybank is largest listed companies on the Malaysian Stock Exchange, Bursa Malaysia, with a market capitalisation of over RM54 billion (USD22 billion) as of end-March 2011.
In 2008, Maybank completed the acquisition of 15% in An Binh Bank (Vietnam), 20% of Muslim Commercial Bank of Pakistan and 97.5% of Bank Internasional Indonesia (BII). In addition, Maybank won for the second year Malaysia's Most Valuable Brand (worth RM9.3 billion), and Deal of the Year - Insolvency & Restructuring Deal of the Year at the 2008 ALB SE Asia Law Awards.
In 2011, Maybank was ranked at 458th in the Forbes Global 2000 Leading Companies with market cap of USD 20.98 billion.
- 1 Corporates
- 2 Financials
- 3 Chronology
- 4 Principal subsidiaries and associate companies
- 5 Principal Competitors
- 6 Subsidiaries and related firms
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Maybank operates consumer banking, business and corporate banking as well as private banking services, through a network of 384 branch offices and more than 2,800 automated teller machines in Malaysia. The company operates 22 branches throughout Singapore providing a full range of banking and financial products and services. Maybank, through Maybank Philippines Incorporated, has 50 branches in the Philippines and also has a banking presence in most of the other Southeast Asian markets, including Brunei, Papua New Guinea, Indonesia, Cambodia and Vietnam. The bank also operates branches in New York, London, Hong Kong and Bahrain
Beside its commercial banking network, Maybank operates a number of specialized subsidiaries in the insurance, investment banking and assets management, and finance sectors. The group's subsidiaries include Etiqa Insurance & Takaful which provides both conventional and Shariah-compliant insurance products, and Maybank Investment Bank which is the Group's investment banking division following the acquisition of Mayban Discount and Mayban Securities. Maybank was the first Malaysian bank granted the right to establish a branch office in China.
Maybank was founded by Malaysian business tycoon Khoo Teck Puat, who died in 2004. The company was led by President and CEO Amirsham Abdul Aziz for some two decades until March 2008 after which he was appointed Minister in the Prime Minister's Department in-charge of the Economic Planning Unit, a post he held until April 2009. Dato' Sri Abdul Wahid Omar was officially appointed as President & CEO of Maybank Group in May 2008.
As of June 30, 2010, Maybank is the largest Malaysian bank, boasting group assets worth RM337 billion (US$106 billion), placing it among the top 120 banks worldwide. Malayan Banking is also a listed corporation on Bursa Malaysia.
Maybank Group financials (FY ending 30 June 2010)
Total Assets = RM336.7 billion (USD105.9 billion)
Net Profit = RM3.82 billion (USD1.2 billion)
Maybank financials (FY ending 30 June 2010)
Total Assets = RM248.4 billion (USD78.1 billion)
Net Profit = RM3.55 billion (USD1.11 billion)
- 1960 - The bank was formed and founded by Malaysian business tycoon Khoo Teck Puat with a few partners in Kuala Lumpur. The bank grew rapidly to more than 150 branches within 3 years. In 1963, the bank purchased Goodwood Park Hotel, Singapore for $4.8 million.
- 1964 - The company established Mayban Trustees Bhd (MTB)
- 1965 - Khoo Teck Puat was ousted from Maybank by the Government of Malaysia under the then Deputy Prime Minister Tun Abdul Razak's administration on the pretext of pumping the bank's money into his own private firm in Singapore.
- 1973 - Forming its own investment banking subsidiary, Aseambankers Malaysia Berhad (Asian & Euro-American Merchant Banking (Malaysia) Berhad)
- 1975 - Aseambankers establishment of a joint venture, Kota Discount Berhad, in partnership with a group of Kuala Lumpur-based investors
- 1986 - Acquired a majority stake in Kota's which renamed to Mayban Discount Berhad in 1989
- 1987 - Mayban Securities Sdn Bhd set up to provide stockbroking and other investment services
- 1990 - The new Malaysian Offshore Banking Act passed and the bank set up new operations in the Federal Territory of Labuan
- 1990 - Mayban Unit Trust Berhad has been added, a subsidiary focused on the management of unit trust funds
- 1992 - Maybank launched Maybank General Assurance Bhd
- 1993 - Acquisition of Safety Life & General insurance Sdn Bhd then relaunched as Mayban Life Assurance
- 1994 - Set up a subsidiary in Papua New Guinea, which opened 2 branch offices in Port Moresby and Lae
- 1996 - Entered a joint-venture with PT Bank Nusa Internasional (Indonesia), bringing the Maybank name to the Indonesian market
- 1997 - Joined forces with Philippine National Bank, acquiring 60 percent stake of the former Republic Savings Bank
- 1997 - Renamed its new subsidiary Maybank Philippines Inc. (MPI) which later gained full control of the enterprise
- 1997 - Acquired through Philmay Holding Inc. and establishment of the real estate and property development vehicle Philmay Property Inc.
- 2000 - Maybank Philippines Inc. (MPI) network boasted nearly 60 branches across the Philippines
- 2000 - Merger completed with the Pacific Bank and the PhileoAllied Bank after Malaysian Government directive.
- 2000 - the corporate cracked the world top 120 banks for the first time
- 2001 - Opened a branch office in Shanghai after gaining a licence in China
- 2001 - Applied for a license to begin operations in Bahrain
- 2002 - Launched of Mayban Takaful Bhd begin promoting Takaful insurance products
- 2004 - Failed in a bid to take over Bank Permata of Indonesia
- 2005 - Finally received approval to launch a takeover bid, through its Aseambankers subsidiary, of BinaFikir Sdn Bhd. However, this deal had fallen through by the end of 2005.
- 2005 - Acquired, via the Insurance Company Mayban Fortis, MNI Insurance and Takaful Nasional
- 2006 - Maybank acquired American Express' card business in Malaysia
- 2007 (Nov) - MNI Insurance and Takaful Nasional were rebranded as Etiqa Insurance & Etiqa Takaful respectively. Subsequently, Mayban Takaful transferred all its business, assets and liabilities to Etiqa Takaful.
- 2008 (May) - Dato' Sri Abdul Wahid Omar, is officially appointed as President & CEO of Maybank Group.
- 2008 - Completed the acquisition 15% in An Binh Bank (Vietnam), 20% of MCB Bank Ltd (Pakistan) and 97.5% of Bank Internasional Indonesia (BII).
- 2009 (January) - Renamed its subsidiary Aseambankers to Maybank Investment Bank.
- 2009 - Raised RM6 billion in equity capital through a 9-for-20 rights issue at RM2.74.
- 2010 - Introduced a Dividend Reinvestment Plan, the first Malaysian company to do so.
- 2011 - Acquired 44.6% of Kim Eng share
Principal subsidiaries and associate companies
- Maybank Investment Bank Berhad - Investment banking
- Maybank Islamic Berhad - Islamic banking
- Etiqa International Holdings - Insurance and Takaful (Islamic Insurance)
- PT Bank Internasional Indonesia Tbk - Top 10 largest bank in Indonesia
- Maybank Philippines Incorporated - Commercial bank in Philippines
- MCB Bank Limited - Commercial bank in Pakistan
- An Binh Bank Commercial Joint Stock Bank - Commercial bank in Vietnam
- PT Bank MayBank Indocorp - Shariah bank in Indonesia
- Bina Fikir Sdn Bhd - Financial advisory
- Mayban Ventures Sdn Bhd - Venture capital
- Maybank (PNG) Ltd - Commercial banking in Papua New Guinea
- Maybank International (L) Limited - Offshore banking in Labuan
- Public Bank Bhd
- CIMB Bhd
- RHB Bank Bhd
- AMMB Holdings Bhd
- Hong Leong Bank Bhd
- HSBC Bank Malaysia Bhd
- Citibank Bhd
- Maybank Islamic Berhad
- Maybank International (L) Limited
- Maybank Philippines Incorporated
- Maybank (PNG) Limited
- PT Bank Maybank Indocorp
- PT Bank Internasional Indonesia Tbk
- MCB Bank Limited
- Etiqa Insurance (previously known as MNI Insurance)
- Etiqa Takaful (previously known as Takaful Nasional)
- Etiqa Offshore Insurance (Labuan) Ltd (previously known as Mayban Life International (Labuan) Ltd)
- Mayban General Assurance Bhd
- Mayban Life Assurance Bhd
- Mayban Takaful Berhad (transferred all business, assets and liabilities to Etiqa Takaful)
- Aseam Credit Sdn Bhd
- Aseamlease Bhd
- Maybank Investment Bank Bhd
- Mayban Discount Bhd
- Mayban Investment Management Sdn Bhd
- Mayban Securities Sdn Bhd
- Mayban Securities (Holdings) Sdn Bhd
- Maybank Singapore
- Maybank Islamic
- Maybank Investment Bank
- American Express Malaysia
As of 3 March 2010 Core 30
AMMB · Axiata · BAT Malaysia · CIMB Group · DIGI.COM · Genting · Genting Malaysia · Hong Leong Bank · Hong Leong Financial Group · IOI Corporation · KL Kepong · Malayan Banking · Malaysia Airlines · Maxis · MISC · MMC Corporation · Nestle Malaysia · PPB · Petronas Dagangan · Petronas Gas · PLUS Expressways · Public Bank · RHB Capital · Sime Darby · Tanjong · Telekom Malaysia · Tenaga Nasional · UMW · YTL Corporation · YTL Power International
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Maybank — bezeichnet Maybank (Kreditinstitut), die Kurzform der Malayan Banking Berhad Maybank (Mississippi), Ort in den Vereinigten Staaten den Familiennamen folgender Personen: Anthuan Maybank (* 1969), US amerikanischer Leichtathlet Burnet R. Maybank… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Maybank HC — Full name Maybank Hockey Club Short name Maybank Ground Seremban Hockey Stadium Seremban, Negeri Sembilan Malaysia Manager … Wikipedia
Maybank — est le principal groupe bancaire et financier malaisien. Annexe Article connexe Banques malaisiennes. Maybank Tower. Lien externe Site officiel … Wikipédia en Français
Maybank — Malayan Banking Berhad 馬來亞銀行 Lema Making Every Moment Count Tipo Pública Fundación 31 de mayo de 1960 Fundador(es) Khoo Teck Pua … Wikipedia Español
Maybank Tower (Kuala Lumpur) — Maybank Tower 馬來亞銀行大厦 Alternative names Menara Maybank Malayan Bank Headquarters General information Type Co … Wikipedia
Maybank Tower (Singapore) — Maybank Tower 马来亚银行大厦 Alternative names Maybank Chambers General information … Wikipedia
Maybank (Kreditinstitut) — Maybank Staat Malaysia Sitz Kuala Lumpur Rechtsform Ak … Deutsch Wikipedia
Maybank Numismatic Museum — Maybank Tower, which houses the museum. The Maybank Numismatic Museum is a museum in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, that is run and owned by the Maybank. It holds the largest coin and money collection in Malaysia … Wikipedia
Maybank Tower — may refer to : Maybank Tower (Kuala Lumpur) Maybank Tower (Singapore) This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the same title. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to ch … Wikipedia
Maybank Tower, Kuala Lumpur — Infobox Skyscraper building name=Maybank Tower ms icon Menara Maybank built=1984 1987 use=Office location=Pudu, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia roof= top floor= 244m (799 ft.) antenna spire= floor count=50 floor area= architect=Hijjas Kasturi Associates… … Wikipedia