- Metropolitan Borough of Rochdale
Metropolitan Borough of Rochdale — Metropolitan borough —
Coat of Arms of the Borough CouncilRochdale shown within England
Sovereign state United Kingdom Constituent country England Region North West England Ceremonial county Greater Manchester Admin HQ Rochdale (Town Hall) Founded 1 April 1974 Borough status Government - Type Metropolitan borough - Governing body Rochdale Metropolitan Borough Council - Mayor Cllr. Zulfiqar Ali - MPs: Simon Danczuk (L)
Jim Dobbin (LC)
Population (2010 est.) - Total 205,200 (Ranked 78th) - Ethnicity
(United Kingdom Estimate 2006) 
11.4% S.Asian or mixed
1.4% Black or mixed
0.8% Chinese or other
Time zone Greenwich Mean Time (UTC+0) Postcodes OL & M Area code(s) 0161 / 01706 ISO 3166-2 GB-RCH ONS code 00BQ OS grid reference SD897133 NUTS 3 UKD32 Website www.rochdale.gov.uk
The Metropolitan Borough of Rochdale is a metropolitan borough of Greater Manchester in North West England. It is named after its largest town, Rochdale, but spans a far larger area which includes the towns of Middleton, Heywood, Littleborough and Milnrow, and the village of Wardle.
The borough was formed in 1974 as part of the provisions of the Local Government Act 1972 and is an amalgamation of six former local government districts. It was originally proposed that the borough include the neighbouring town of Bury and disclude Middleton; Bury however went on to form the administrative centre for the adjacent Metropolitan Borough of Bury.
The borough, which lies directly north-northeast of the City of Manchester, has a population of 206,500, and although most parts are highly industrialised and densely populated, contiguous with one of the United Kingdom's major cities, some of the borough consists of rural open space, for the most part due the territory in the eastern half stretching across Blackstone Edge and the Pennine hills.
The borough, which is the largest such borough of Greater Manchester, was formed on 1 April 1974, under the Local Government Act 1972, by a merger of the former county borough of Rochdale and, from the administrative county of Lancashire, the municipal boroughs of Heywood and Middleton, along with the urban districts of Littleborough, Milnrow and Wardle.
Showing former status (prior to 1974)
- Heywood (municipal borough)
- Littleborough (urban district)
- Middleton (municipal borough)
- Milnrow (urban district)
- Rochdale (county borough)
- Wardle (urban district)
- White British - 176,800
- White Irish - 2,994
- White Other - 2,097
- Asian or Asian British: Pakistani - 15,829
- Asian or Asian British: Bangladeshi - 3,594
- Asian or Asian British: Other Asian - 956
- Black British - 1,571
- Chinese or Other - 1,200
- Mixed White and Asian - 900
- Mixed White and Black - 1,100
- Mixed Other - 400
The table below details the population change since 1801, including the percentage change since the last available census data. Although the Metropolitan Borough of Rochdale has only existed 1974, figures have been generated by combining data from the towns, villages, and civil parishes that would later be constituent parts of the borough.
Population growth in Rochdale since 1801 Year 1801 1811 1821 1831 1841 1851 1861 1871 1881 1891 1901 1911 1921 1931 1941 1951 1961 1971 1981 1991 2001 Population 28,689 36,815 46,440 57,377 69,956 80,317 102,247 124,177 146,107 151,490 165,617 181,061 181,227 181,395 177,574 173,833 188,316 204,071 206,351 204,802 205,233 % change – +28.3 +26.1 +23.6 +21.9 +14.8 +27.3 +21.4 +17.7 +3.7 +9.3 +9.3 +0.1 +0.1 −2.1 −2.1 +8.3 +8.4 +1.1 −0.8 +0.2 Source: Vision of Britain
The Metropolitan Borough of Rochdale has formal twinning arrangements with six places. Three were originally twinned with a place within the Metropolitan Borough boundaries prior to its creation in 1974.
Country Place County / District / Region / State Originally twinned with Date France Tourcoing Nord-Pas de Calais County Borough of Rochdale 1956 Germany Peine Niedersachsen Municipal Borough of Heywood 1967 Germany Bielefeld Nordrhein-Westfalen County Borough of Rochdale 1953 Pakistan Sahiwal Punjab Metropolitan Borough of Rochdale 1988 Ukraine Lviv Lviv Metropolitan Borough of Rochdale 1992 Bangladesh Sylhet Sylhet Division Metropolitan Borough of Rochdale 2009
- List of people from Rochdale
- ^ Lead View Table
- ^ Clark 1973, p. 101.
- ^ Lead View Table
- ^ "Rochdale District: total population". Vision of Britain. http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/data_cube_table_page.jsp?data_theme=T_POP&data_cube=N_TPop&u_id=10076780&c_id=10001043&add=N. Retrieved on 20 December 2008.
- ^ "Town twinning". rochdale.gov.uk. http://www.rochdale.gov.uk/leisure_and_culture/tourism_and_travel/town_twinning.aspx. Retrieved 2011-08-18.
- Clark, David M. (1973). Greater Manchester Votes: A Guide to the New Metropolitan Authorities. Redrose
- www.rochdale.gov.uk, Rochdale Council.
- www.investinrochdale.co.uk/, Rochdale Development Agency - information on the borough, its economy and regeneration.
- www.pennineland.co.uk Development Arm of Rochdale Development Agency (RDA) Uniting Private & Public Sector to support the Regeneration of Rochdale Borough.
- www.statsandmaps.co.uk Stats and Maps is the Rochdale Borough statistics and maps website. It is a shared evidence based that provides quick and easy on-line access to data, information, and intelligence about the borough of Rochdale, and aims to meet the needs of the local community, LSP partners, and the general public.
Districts of North West England Cheshire Cumbria Greater Manchester Lancashire Merseyside Metropolitan counties and metropolitan districts Greater Manchester Merseyside South Yorkshire Tyne and Wear West Midlands West Yorkshire
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Metropolitan Borough of Bury — Metropolitan borough Bury Town Hall, the seat of Bury Council … Wikipedia
Metropolitan Borough of Oldham — For the settlement, see Oldham. Metropolitan Borough of Oldham Metropolitan borough Oldham Civic Centre … Wikipedia
Metropolitan Borough of Wigan — For the main settlement, see Wigan. Metropolitan Borough of Wigan Metropolitan borough Wigan Civic Centre … Wikipedia
Metropolitan Borough of Bolton — For the main settlement, see Bolton. Metropolitan Borough of Bolton Metropolitan borough Bolton Town Hall, the seat of Bolton s borough co … Wikipedia
Metropolitan Borough of Stockport — For the main settlement, see Stockport. Metropolitan Borough of Stockport Metropolitan borough Sto … Wikipedia
Metropolitan Borough of Dudley — Metropolitan borough Dudley Council House in Dudley, West Midlands … Wikipedia
Metropolitan Borough of Gateshead — Metropolitan borough Gateshead Council Building, the seat of the Borough Council … Wikipedia
Metropolitan Borough of Solihull — Metropolitan Borough … Wikipedia
Metropolitan Borough of Doncaster — Metropolitan borough Doncaster Sovereign state United Kingdom … Wikipedia
Metropolitan Borough of Barnsley — Borough Arms of Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council … Wikipedia