- Saltash (UK Parliament constituency)
UK former constituency infobox
Name = Saltash
Type = Borough
members = two
Saltash, sometimes called Essa, was a "
rotten borough" in Cornwallwhich returned two Members of Parliamentto the House of Commons in the English and later British Parliamentfrom 1552to 1832, when it was abolished by the Great Reform Act.
The borough consisted of the town of
Saltash, a market town facing Plymouthand Devonport across the Tamar estuary, and the inhabitants by 1831 were mainly fishermen or Devonport dockworkers. Like most of the Cornish boroughs enfranchised or re-enfranchised during the Tudor period, it was a rotten borough from the start.
Saltash was a
burgageborough, meaning that the right to vote rested with the tenants of certain specified properties. For a long period in the 18th century, there was a contest for control of the borough between the government and the Buller family of Morval, depending partly on legal uncertainties over the precise number and identity of the burgage properties to which votes were attached. In the 1760s it was considered an entirely secure Admiralty borough, where the naval influence could sway all the voters, but by 1831 the Bullers owned all the tenancies and considered themselves the patrons.
1831, the borough had a population of 1,637, and 245 houses.
Members of Parliament
* 1628-1629: Francis Cottington
* 1640-1642: Edward Hyde (Royalist) - "disabled to sit, August 1642"
George Parry(Royalist) - "died, December 1646"
John Thynne- "excluded in Pride's Purge, December 1648"
Henry Wills- "excluded in Pride's Purge, December 1648" Third Protectorate Parliament
* 1659: ?"'Long Parliament (restored)
* 1659-1660: ?
*D Brunton & D H Pennington, “Members of the Long Parliament” (London: George Allen & Unwin, 1954)
*Lewis Namier, "The Structure of Politics at the Accession of George III" (2nd edition - London: St Martin's Press, 1961)
*J Holladay Philbin, "Parliamentary Representation 1832 - England and Wales" (New Haven: Yale University Press, 1965)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.