Nanumanga — Island —NASA Landsat visible color image Coordinates: Coordinates: Country Tuvalu Area - Total 3 km2 (1.2 sq mi) Population (2002) - Total 589 - Density 196.3/km2 (508.5/sq mi) Demonym Nanumangan
On May 9, 1824 a French government expedition under Captain Louis Isidor Duprerrey of the ship Coquille sighted Nanumaga.
Louis Becke, who later became a writer, working with the Liverpool firm of John S. de Wolf and Co. on Nanumanga from about April 1880 until the trading-station was destroyed later that year in a cyclone. Becke later wrote The Rangers of the Tia Kau that describes a shark attack at the Tia Kau reef between Nanumea and Nanumanga.
In 1986 it became a centre of debate by Pacific archaeologists who discovered the submerged Caves of Nanumanga, which found the remains of fire created by pre-historic inhabitants.
There are three lagoons, the largest, Vaiatoa, having four islands. There are mangrove woods and dry vegetation. The island has an oval outline, with the longer axis oriented north-south. A fringing reef surrounds the whole island, which makes local fishing and transport into and out of the island difficult.
- Cape on the north: Te Kaupapa
- Cape on the south: Te Papa
At the 2002 census the population of the atoll was 589.
The two villages are Tonga (population 308) and Tokelau (pop. 281), at the western side of the island. The junior school is Lotohoni Primary School.
There are a few paths.
Nanumanga is one of the eight constituencies in Tuvalu, and elects two Members of Parliament. Following the 2010 general election, its current representatives are Monise Lafai and Falesa Pitoi. Pitoi was a successfully re-elected incumbent, while Lafai defeated incumbent Otinielu Tausi.
2010 election results
Nanumaga constituency results  Party Candidate Votes Percentage Non-partisan Monise Lafai 379 % Non-partisan Falesa Pitoi 296 % Non-partisan Otinielu Tausi 230 %
- ^ Keith S. Chambers & Doug Munro, The Mystery of Gran Cocal: European Discovery and Mis-Discovery in Tuvalu, 89(2) (1980) The Journal of the Polynesian Society, 167-198
- ^ 'Louis Beck, Adventurer and Writer', Chapter 8, Rascals in Paradise, James A. Michener and Arthur Grove Day, Secker and Warburg (1957)
- ^ http://www.readbookonline.net/readOnLine/22486/
- ^ Richard Bedford, Barrie Macdonald & Doug Monro, Population Estimates for Kiribati and Tuvalu (1980) 89(1) J. of the Polynesian Society 199
- ^ W.F. Newton, The Early Population of the Ellice Islands, 76(2) (1967) The Journal of the Polynesian Society, 197-204.
- ^ Cannon, Brian (2010-09-16). "Tuvalu Election Results". Tuvalu News (Tuvaluislands.com). http://www.tuvaluislands.com/news/archives/2010/2010-09-16.html. Retrieved 2010-09-17.
Islands and atolls of Tuvalu Islands Atolls Islets of FunafutiAmatuku • Avalau • Falaoigo • Fale Fatu • Fatato • Fongafale • Fuafatu • Fuagea • Fualefeke • Fualopa • Funafala • Funamanu • Luamotu • Mateika • Motugie • Motuloa • Mulitefala Nukusavalevale • Papa Elise • Pukasavilivili • Te Afuafou • Te Afualiku • Tefala • Telele • Tengasu • Tepuka • Tepuka Vili Vili • Tutanga • Vasafua Islets of Nanumea Islets of Nui Islets of Nukufetau Islets of Vaitupu
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Nanumanga — visto desde el espacio. Nanumaga o Nanumanga es una isla, un atolón o un distrito de Tuvalu. Tiene un área aproximada de 3 km². En 1986 se convirtió en centro de debate entre los arquéologos del Pacífico, quienes descubrieron las Cuevas… … Wikipedia Español
Nanumanga — Vorlage:Infobox Insel/Wartung/Höhe fehlt Nanumanga NASA Bild von Nanumanga Gewässer Pazifischer Ozean … Deutsch Wikipedia
Nanumanga — Admin ASC 1 Code Orig. name Nanumanga Country and Admin Code TV.NMG TV … World countries Adminstrative division ASC I-II
Caves of Nanumanga — In 1986, off the northern shore of Nanumanga island in western Polynesia s Tuvalu group, two scuba divers found an underwater cave more than 40 metres down the wall of a coral cliff. Dark patches on the roof and walls and blackened coral… … Wikipedia
Ellice-Inseln — Tuvalu … Deutsch Wikipedia
Ellice Islands — Tuvalu … Deutsch Wikipedia
Elliceinseln — Tuvalu … Deutsch Wikipedia
Fakavae Aliki-Malo i Tuvalu — Tuvalu … Deutsch Wikipedia
TUV — Tuvalu … Deutsch Wikipedia
Tuiva — Tuvalu … Deutsch Wikipedia