- Verbum Dei High School
Infobox Secondary school
name = Verbum Dei High School
motto = (#1) "
Ad majorem Dei gloriam"
(For the greater glory of God)
(#2) "Working" in the
(#3) The School That Works for the 21st Century!
type = Private secondary (Parochial)
grades = 9–12
established = 1962
city = Los Angeles (Watts)
country = USA
enrollment = approximately 350
school colors = Noble Gold & Blue
president = Rev. William Muller, S.J.
principal = Dr. Daniel O'Connell, Ed.D.
newsletter = "Eagles Eye"
website = [http://www.verbumdei.us/ www.verbumdei.us]
Verbum Dei High School, colloquially referred to as "the Verb", is an all-male
Catholic high schoolcombining college-preparatory academic courses and immersion in corporate work environments. It is operated by the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Los Angeleswith the sponsorship of the [http://www.calprov.org/ California Province] of the Society of Jesus. Students can graduate in four years with a high school diploma.
Verbum Dei offers a variety of sports and extracurricular activities. The sports program includes
football, basketball, cross country, track and field, soccer, baseball, golf, and volleyball. Extracurricular activities include Christian community service, cultural awareness, campus ministry groups, an honor society, and musical bands. Although the school is based on Catholic values, it is entirely interdenominational. Students of any faith or religious persuasion may attend.
Verbum Dei was founded in 1962 by the Society of the Divine Word with the permission and recommendation of Cardinal James McIntyre to serve the educational needs of the black community of
South Los Angeles. The school was named after one of Jesus' epithets, "Verbum Dei" ("the Word of God"). BishopJoseph Francis, S.V.D. led the founding team and served as the school's first principal. The Society maintained a presence at the school until December 2006, when long-time Verbum Dei faculty/staff member [http://www.flickr.com/photos/vsqz/305348060/ Br. Richard "Rich" Morrill, S.V.D.] departed due to terminal illness; it remains to be seen if the Society will provide another of its members to Verbum Dei.
At some point, the school expanded its mission in order to also serve the educational needs of the "
Latino" community of South Los Angeles.
Verbum Dei's performance began to decline in the 1980s -- probably due to the urban decay of
South Los Angelesthat began in the 1970s -- and suffered further during the neighborhood gang wars of the 1990s, experiencing declining enrollment and instability within the administration. However, it received significant financial help in the mid-1990s and improvements were made in various buildings on campus as well as the creation of new ones.
In 2000, Cardinal Roger Mahony asked the California Province of the Society of Jesus to assist in the administration of the school, asserting that the school had to improve significantly by 2006 to avoid permanent shutdown. Verbum Dei became recognized as a Jesuit school at that point. Leading the Jesuit team was
ReverendBill Wood, S.J.. The school became a member of the Cristo Rey Networkand adopted its current scholastic model (see "Corporate Work Study Program" below) in 2002. The school has joint accreditation by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges(WASC) and the Western Catholic Education Association(WCEA). Verbum Dei also has accreditation by the California Province (CalProv) of the Society of Jesus.
Religious of the Sacred Heart of Maryhave been providing a nunto the Verbum Dei staff for several years at least.
Corporate Work Study Program
As a member of the Cristo Rey Network, Verbum Dei assigns students to jobs that are "donated" by local white-collar companies and non-profit entities in the Los Angeles metropolitan area. This experience is intended to acclimate students to corporate culture, build their character and provide motive for seeking higher education and productive careers. The money earned by the students defrays the cost of the students' education.
* Raymond Lewis, 1968-1973Fact|date=May 2008
* James Givehand, 1968-1971Fact|date=May 2008
Donny Daniels, 1972: Basketball coach. [cite web | url=http://utahutes.collegesports.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/daniels_donny00.html | title=Player Bio: Donniy Daniels :: Men's Basketball | accessdate=2008-05-08]
* [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1216557/ Dana Glover] , 1976: [http://midianfilms.net/] Filmmaker
Clifford Sanchez] , 1976 or 1977 [http://wootenalbum.org/cliff.htm]
Ken Austin, 1977 [http://www.famous-alumni.com/verbum_dei_los_angeles_ca.html]
* Leonel Marquetti, 1978-1981 (1978 alumnus of
McDonald's[http://www.mcdepk.com/2006allamericangame/downloads/boys_alumni_list.pdf All-American High School Basketball Team] )
*Kenneth Fields, 1980-1983 (1980 alumnus of McDonald's [http://www.mcdepk.com/2006allamericangame/downloads/boys_alumni_list.pdf All-American High School Basketball Team] , former member of the
Los Angeles Clippers
* [http://www.urbanxmarketing.com/rsla/dannybakewell.html Danny Bakewell, Jr.] , 1983 (son of Danny Bakewell, current owner of the
Los Angeles Sentineland a national co-convener of the Millions More Movement)
Hardy Nickerson, 1983
* [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0486708/ DeAnthony Langston] , 1984
Andre Miller, 1994 [http://www.nba.com/playerfile/andre_miller/index.html] [http://www.alumni.utah.edu/continuum/summer99/sidelines.html]
* [http://usctrojans.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/abdul-shaheed_shamsud-din00.html Shamsud-Din Abdul-Shaheed] , 1995
* [http://utahutes.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/blackmon_phil00.html Phil Blackmon] , 1997
* Salim Dawson, 1998
Kenechi Udeze, 1999-2000 [http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/493098] [http://www.trojanfootballalumni.com/index.php?ct=alltime]
* [http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=164&p=8&c=1&yr=2005&nid=2110977 Louis Leonard] , 2001
* [http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=218&p=8&c=1&nid=1741173 Richard Chaney] , 2002 [http://utahutes.collegesports.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/chaney_richard00.html]
* [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0656003/ Michael Pagan] , 2004
* [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0656003/ Ryan Oliver] , 2004
Amir Johnson, 2005 [http://www.hoopshype.com/players/amir_johnson.htm] [http://www.utefans.net/message.php?id=61203&filter=#message61203] [http://www.utefans.net/message.php?id=45344&filter=#message45344]
* [http://www.divineword.org/hutchins1104.asp Rev. Michael Hutchins, S.V.D.]
* Rev. Fisher Robinson, S.V.D.
* [http://utahutes.collegesports.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/daniels_donny00.html Donny Daniels]
* [http://www.jstb.edu/alumni/JSTB_partners.pdf Rev. Scott Santarosa, S.J.] (see page 16 of linked PDF)
* [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0486708/ DeAnthony Langston]
* [http://www.jeffreyallen.org/ Br. Jeffrey Allen, S.J.] [http://www.mauntech.com/]
* [http://www.ilvc.org/Winter06Newsletter.pdf John Saito]
*List of Roman Catholic high schools in Los Angeles County, California
* [http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=18&p=8&c=2&nid=11377&yr=2006 Scout.com - Verbum Dei High School football roster]
* [http://www.jnad.biz/class83/ Verbum Dei High School 1983 Class of 1983 Web Site]
* [http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m5072/is_39_25/ai_108883243 Los Angeles Business Journal article about Verbum Dei's Corporate Work Study Program]
* [http://ca.localschooldirectory.com/private_schools_info.php/school_id/4278 Local School Directory - Verbum Dei High School]
* [http://los-angeles-usa.net/Verbum-Dei-High-School.html Art Schobey Interactive - los-angeles-usa.net - Verbum Dei High School]
* [http://www.charitychecks.us/education/overview.html Charity Checks - video clip about Verbum Dei High School's participation in its Charitable Literacy program] (from
* [http://www.jesuit.org/images/docs/9l5dWQ.pdf "National Jesuit Review" newsletter, October 2001]
** page 4 article: "What's love got to do with it? Love is everything"
** page 12 column: Province Briefs - California
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Palos Verdes High School — Infobox School name = Palos Verdes High School principal = Christopher Bowles location = 600 Cloyden Road, Palos Verdes Estates, California homepage = http://www.pvhigh.com enrollment = 1,904 (from fact sheet for 2007 to 2008 school year) [ [http … Wikipedia
Marquette University High School — File:Webster Club Logo.png MUHS Coat of Arms For Faith, Scholarship and Community Ad majorem Dei gloriam Address 3401 West Wisconsin Avenue Milwau … Wikipedia
Gonzaga College High School — For other schools, see Gonzaga. Gonzaga College High School Address 19 Eye St., NW Washington, D. C., 20001 … Wikipedia
McQuaid Jesuit High School — Ignem Mittere in Terram Cast Fire Upon the Earth Address 1800 South Clinton Avenue … Wikipedia
Crespi Carmelite High School — Zelo Zelatus Sum Pro Domino Deo Exercituum. With zeal have I been zealous for the Lord God of Hosts. Address 5031 Alonzo … Wikipedia
St. Xavier High School (Cincinnati) — Saint Xavier High School Academia Sancti Xaverii Cincinnatensis School seal Vidit Mirabilia Magna; Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam He has seen great wonders; For the Greater Glory of God … Wikipedia
Jesuit High School (New Orleans) — Jesuit High School Address 4133 Banks Street New Orleans, Louisiana, 70119 … Wikipedia
University of Detroit Jesuit High School and Academy — Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam For the Greater Glory of God Address 8400 South Cambridge Avenue … Wikipedia
De Smet Jesuit High School — Men for Others Address 233 North New Ballas Creve Coeur, Missouri, (St. Louis … Wikipedia
Cheverus High School — Crescamus in Illo per omina May we grow in Him through all thin … Wikipedia