- Donald Sidney-Fryer
Donald Sidney-Fryer is a poet and entertainer born September 8, 1934, in New Bedford, Massachusetts. He served in the U.S. Marine Corps, and moved to California, where he attended university, and met Clark Ashton Smith several times. In 1969, he married Gloria Kathleen Braly, and started giving readings shortly thereafter, usually incorporating material by Smith, and his other principal poetic influence, Edmund Spenser.
Sidney-Fryer is connected principally to the works of Clark Ashton Smith in a number of ways. He published an important essay on him, "The Sorcerer Departs" in 1963, and wrote the principal bibliography, The Emperor of Dreams. He also edited a number of collections of Smith's poetry, chiefly, Poems in Prose and Selected Poems. He has edited a number of collections of Smith's short stories, and co-edited The Black Book of Clark Ashton Smith.
In addition, he has translated Aloysius Bertrand's Gaspard de la Nuit, written A Checklist of the Ballet Scores of Cesare Pugni, and published three collections of his own verse under the generic title: Songs and Sonnets Atlantean.
Donald Sidney-Fryer's poetry has appeared in: The Arkham Collector, Coven 13, The Cthulhu Codex, Flame Annual, The Galley Sail Review, Haunted, Macabre, Nocturne, Nyctalops, The Romantist, San Francisco, Weird Tales, Worlds of Fantasy and Horror, Witchcraft and Sorcery and The Young Physique.
Sidney-Fryer's verse is marked by a strong imagination, and a Francophilic focus. He is a strong believer in pure poetry, and practices formalist verse, developing his own specific poetic form, the Spenserian stanza-sonnet.
- A Checklist of the Ballet Scores of Cesare Pugni (Enciclopedia dello Spettacolo, Vol VIII, Rome, 1961).
- (Ed.) Poems in Prose by Clark Ashton Smith (Sauk City, WI: Arkham House, 1965).
- (Ed.) Other Dimensions by Clark Ashton Smith (Sauk City, WI: Arkham House, 1970).
- (Ed.) Selected Poems by Clark Ashton Smith (Sauk City, WI: Arkham House, 1971).
- Songs and Sonnets Atlantean (Sauk City, WI: Arkham House, 1971).
- The Last of the Great Romantic Poets (Albuquerque, NM: Silver Scarab Press, 1973).
- (Comp.) Emperor of Dreams: A Clark Ashton Smith Bibliography (West Kingston, RI: Donald M. Grant, 1978).
- (Ed.) The Black Book of Clark Ashton Smith (Sauk City, WI: Arkham House, 1979).
- (Ed.) A Vision of Doom by Ambrose Bierce (West Kingston, RI: Donald M. Grant, 1980).
- (Ed.) The City of the Singing Flame by Clark Ashton Smith (New York: Pocket/Timescape, 1981).
- (Ed.) The Last Incantation by Clark Ashton Smith (New York: Pocket/Timescape, 1982).
- (Ed.) The Monster of the Prophecy by Clark Ashton Smith (New York: Pocket/Timescape, 1983).
- (Ed.) Strange Shadows: The Uncollected Fiction & Essays of Clark Ashton Smith (with Steve Behrends and Rah Hoffman; New York: Greenwood Press, 1989).
- (Ed.) The Devil's Notebook: Collected Epigrams and Pensées of Clark Ashton Smith (Mercer Island, WA: Starmont House, Inc., 1990).
- (Ed.) The Hashish-Eater by Clark Ashton Smith (Privately issued, Sacramento, CA, 1990).
- Clark Ashton Smith: The Sorcerer Departs (West Hills, CA : Tsathoggua Press, 1997).
- Songs and Sonnets Atlantean: The Second Series (Holicong, PA: Wildside Press, 2003).
- (Trans.) Gaspard de la Nuit: Fantasies in the manner of Rembrandt and Callot by Aloysius Bertrand (Encino, CA: Black Coat Press, 2004).
- Songs and Sonnets Atlantean: The Third Series (Los Angeles, CA: Phosphor Lantern Press, 2005).
- The Sorcerer Departs: Clark Ashton Smith (1893–1961) (Dole: Silver Key Press, 2007).
- The Case of the Light Fantastic Toe: The Romantic Ballet and Signor Maestro Cesare Pugni (as yet unpublished)
- The Atlantis Fragments. (Hippocampus Press, 2009) [Omnibus ed of the three volumes of Songs and Sonnets Atlantean; 300 copy hc limited edition, and pbk).
- Donald Sidney-Fryer
- Donald Sidney-Fryer: The Last of the Courtly Poets
- A Donald Sidney-Fryer Bibliography by Alan Gullette 
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Donald M. Grant, Publisher, Inc. — Donald M. Grant, Publisher, Inc. is a fantasy and science fiction small press publisher in New Hampshire that was founded in 1964. It is notable for publishing fantasy and horror novels with lavish illustrations, most notably Stephen King s The… … Wikipedia
Sidney (surname) — For the origin and usage of the name Sidney, see Sidney (name origin) Sidney as a surname may be*Algernon Sidney, republican under Charles II *Donald Sidney Fryer, American poet *George Sidney, American film director *Henry Sidney (1529 1586),… … Wikipedia
Donald M. Grant, Publisher — This article is about the publishing company. For the founder of this company, see Donald M. Grant. Donald M. Grant, Publisher, Inc. is a fantasy and science fiction small press publisher in New Hampshire that was founded in 1964. It is notable… … Wikipedia
Smith, Clark Ashton — (1893–1961) Poet, fantaisiste, artist, sculptor, and correspondent of HPL (1922–37). Born in Long Valley, Calif., and residing for most of his life in the small town of Auburn in the Sierra foothills, Smith read precociously as a child and… … An H.P.Lovecraft encyclopedia
As It Is Written — Dust … Wikipedia
A Vision of Doom — Infobox Book name = A Vision of Doom title orig = translator = image caption = Dust jacket from the first edition author = Ambrose Bierce illustrator = Frank Villano cover artist = Frank Villano country = United States language = English series … Wikipedia
Anexo:Convención Mundial de Fantasía — La Convención Mundial de Fantasía (World Fantasy Convention) es una convención anual de profesionales que agrupa escritores, coleccionistas, artistas y otras personas interesadas en el género fantástico. En ella se da prioridad a la literatura y… … Wikipedia Español
Всемирный конвент фэнтези — (англ. The World Fantasy Convention) ежегодноый конвент профессионалов, любителей и людей, интересующихся фэнтези. Во время конвента вручается Всемирная премия фэнтези. Во время конвента также проходят выставки, автограф сессии,… … Википедия
The Black Book of Clark Ashton Smith — Infobox Book name = The Black Book of Clark Ashton Smith title orig = translator = image caption = cover by Andrew Smith of The Black Book of Clark Ashton Smith author = Clark Ashton Smith illustrator = Andrew Smith cover artist = Andrew Smith… … Wikipedia
Clark Ashton Smith — en 1912 Activités Artiste, poète, écrivain … Wikipédia en Français