- Mississippi Blues Trail
The Mississippi Blues Trail, created by the Mississippi Blues Commission, is a project to place interpretive markers at the most notable historical sites related to the growth of the blues throughout the state of Mississippi. The trail extends from the border of Louisiana in southern Mississippi and winds its way to Memphis, Tennessee. One marker was recently erected in Chicago, Illinois, where many Mississippi-born blues musicians, like Muddy Waters, moved before becoming famous.
The list of markers and locations has been developed by distinguished blues scholars and historians. The trail is being implemented in stages as funds become available. The National Endowment for the Arts has provided a grant for partial funding.
More blues singers have come from the state of Mississippi, especially the Mississippi Delta, than all the other Southern States combined. These include Son House, Robert Johnson, Charlie Patton, Muddy Waters, Skip James, Bukka White, John Lee Hooker, and B. B. King. 
The second marker is located in front of the Second Whispers Restaurant on Nelson Street in Greenville, a stop on the chitlin' circuit in the early days of the blues. This historic strip which in the 1940s and 1950s drew crowds to the flourishing club scene to hear Delta blues, big band jump blues and jazz.
- ^ "Elvis gets marker on Mississippi Blues Trail - USATODAY.com". usatoday.com. 2008-01-07. http://www.usatoday.com/travel/destinations/2008-01-07-elvis-blues-trail_N.htm. Retrieved 2008-05-27.
- ^ a b Widen, Larry. "JS Online: Blues trail". www.jsonline.com. http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=347773. Retrieved 2008-05-29.
- ^ "Mississippi Blues Commission - Blues trail". http://www.msbluestrail.org/blues_trail.html. Retrieved 2007-02-09.
- ^ "Haley Barbour Unveils First Marker of Mississippi Blues Trail". Jazz News. http://home.nestor.minsk.by/jazz/news/2006/12/1303.html. Retrieved 2007-02-09.
- ^ a b "Blues Matters! - Delta sites to be included on new blues trail". www.bluesmatters.com. http://www.bluesmatters.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=2493. Retrieved 2008-05-28.
- ^ "BLUES TRAIL MARKS PARCHMAN AS MAJOR INFLUENCE." State of Mississippi. September 23, 2010. Retrieved on October 3, 2010.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Mississippi Blues Trail — Der Mississippi Blues Trail ist ein Projekt der Mississippi Blues Commission. Sie stellt Schilder auf. Auf ihnen wird die Geschichte von Bluesmusikern oder wichtigen Orten des Mississippi Blues erzählt. Der Bluestrail beginnt an der Grenze zu… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Mississippi State Penitentiary — For the song, see Parchman Farm (song). Parchman Unincorporated community Mississippi State Penitentiary … Wikipedia
Blues — This article is about the music genre. For other uses, see Blues (disambiguation). Blues Stylistic origins African American folk music Work song Spirituals Cultural origins Late 19th century, southern United States Typical instruments … Wikipedia
Mississippi — This article is about the U.S. state of Mississippi. For the river, see Mississippi River. For other uses, see Mississippi (disambiguation). State of Mississippi … Wikipedia
Mississippi John Hurt — Hurt giving a recording for the Library of Congress in 1964. Background information Birth name John Smith Hurt … Wikipedia
Blues Hall of Fame — Die Blues Hall of Fame ist die Ehrengalerie der Blues Foundation, einer gemeinnützigen Einrichtung in Memphis, Tennessee, die sich die Förderung des Blues zum Ziel gesetzt hat. Seit 1980 werden Pioniere des Blues durch die Aufnahme in die „Hall… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Mississippi — /mis euh sip ee/, n. 1. a state in the S United States. 2,520,638; 47,716 sq. mi. (123,585 sq. km). Cap.: Jackson. Abbr.: MS (for use with zip code), Miss. 2. a river flowing S from N Minnesota to the Gulf of Mexico: the principal river of the… … Universalium
Clarksdale, Mississippi — City … Wikipedia
Greenwood, Mississippi — Infobox Settlement official name = Greenwood, Mississippi settlement type = City nickname = Cotton Capital of the World motto = imagesize = image caption = image imagesize = image caption = image mapsize = 250px map caption = Location of… … Wikipedia
Canton, Mississippi — Infobox Settlement official name = Canton, Mississippi settlement type = City nickname = motto = imagesize = image caption = image imagesize = image caption = image mapsize = 250px map caption = Location of Canton, Mississippi mapsize1 = map… … Wikipedia