- Killiechassie House
Killiechassie House is a 19th century
Estate house, situated on the banks of the River Tay, near Aberfeldy, in Perth and Kinross. The current owner of the house is J. K. Rowling, the author of the Harry Potterseries, who purchased it in November 2001 [ [http://marriage.about.com/od/thearts/p/jkrowling.htm J.K. Rowling and Neil Murray] at "marriage.about.com". Accessed 8 Feb 2007.] for the sum of approximately £600,000. [ [http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2002/06/07/ncot07.xml Cotswolds-style boom sees 'bothy' priced at £120,000] at "telegraph.co.uk". Accessed 8 Feb 2007.] Since then the value of the house has increased significantly, with the estimated value rising to £1.5 million. The house is now ranked at #91 in a list of the Top 100 Finest Homes of the UK, published by Britain.tv. [ [http://www.britain.tv Britain tv - Information for Britain - Tourism and Travel - Studying in Britain ] ]
* In the 17th century, Reverend Robert Stewart, the minister of Killin, bought each of his sons an estate north of the Tay, giving Killiechassie to the eldest.
* The house was built by a Scottish general in 1865, [ [http://archives.cnn.com/2001/SHOWBIZ/News/11/21/showbuzz/index.html Rowling buys secluded Scottish home] at "archives.cnn.com". Accessed 8 Feb 2007.] to replace a much older building.
* Locals say that Bonnie Prince Charlie sheltered under a tree on the estate during his retreat north to
Invernessin 1746, and Robert Burns ( Scotland's national poet) took walks nearby.
* Killiechassie House lies in an area of outstanding natural beauty in rural Perthshire, and in close proximity can also be found
Castle Menzies(16th Century castle which is Seat of the Chiefs of Clan Menzies), General Wade's Bridge at Aberfeldy, Dewar's World of Whisky at Aberfeldy Distillery, the Birks of Aberfeldymade famous by poet Robert Burns, and the Black Watch Monument, which commemorates the raising of the world famous regiment.
J.K. Rowlingmarried Neil Murray in the library of their house.
* There is a lake near the house which is said to be haunted by a water spirit. [ [http://www.szjo.uw.edu.pl/twardo/2003-2004%202rok/essbystp2/spmysza.htm Joanne Kathleen Rowling – icon of success] at "szjo.uw.edu.pl". Accessed 8 Feb 2007.]
* The house is known to encompass two Halls, a
Drawing room, Morning room, Dining room and Library.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Historic houses in Scotland — is a link page for any mansion, palace, country house, stately home or other historic house in Scotland.See also: List of castles in Scotland NOTOC Aberdeenshire*Balmoral Castle *Cairness House *Duff House *Elsick House *Fasque House *Fetteresso… … Wikipedia
J. K. Rowling — J. K. Rowling … Wikipedia
Aberfeldy, Scotland — infobox UK place country = Scotland official name= Aberfeldy scots name= gaelic name= population= 1,895 [cite web|publisher=Scotland s Census Results Online|title =Comparative Population Profile: Aberfeldy Locality |… … Wikipedia