Modec Limited Type Private Industry Manufacturing Founded October 2004 Headquarters Coventry, United Kingdom Key people Jamie Borwick, (Chairman)
Bill Gillespie, (CEO)
Products Zero Emission Commercial Vehicles Revenue Undisclosed Net income Undisclosed Employees 70 (2007) Website www.modeczev.com
- For Mitsui Ocean Development & Engineering Company (MODEC) Inc. see MODEC Inc.
Modec was a Coventry, UK electric vehicle manufacturer, specialising in Commercial vehicles in the N2 category. It unveiled its first model in April 2006 and announced its intention to commence series production in March 2007, with the first production vehicles destined for Tesco. Following a long term decline in sales, it entered administration in March 2011, with all remaining assets and intellectual property sold to Navistar International.
- eMercury project commenced within London Taxis International (a division of Manganese Bronze). The project was led by Jevon Thorpe, designer of the TX1London Taxi. Some development funding received from the Energy Savings Trust (EST), part of the Department of Trade and Industry.
- Three eMercury prototypes demonstrated - one conventional lead-acid battery powered, one hybrid vehicle utilising a nickel metal hydride battery and one utilising a high energy molten salt battery mounted in a removable cassette between the chassis rails.
- Manganese Bronze announces its decision to focus on its taxi business. The eMercury project bought by Jamie Borwick, former CEO & Chairman of Manganese Bronze, who creates Modec Limited as part of Borwick Group.
- Splits with drivetrain supplier Azure Dynamics, in favour of Zytek, commences development of production vehicles
- Announces partnerships with Lex Logistics for customer service, GE Commercial Finance for vehicle finance and battery rental and Axeon Power for battery cassette assemblies containing Zebra battery technology.
- Unveils next generation of production intent vehicles at SMMT Commercial Vehicle Show. Fitted with an 85 kWh battery pack, they have a 2-2.5 tonne payload, a governed top speed of 50 mph and a range in excess of 100 miles on a typical urban duty cycle. Maximum torque of 300 Newton metres is delivered from rest, resulting in lively acceleration. Zebra batteries are used.
- Coventry production facility officially opened by the Rt Hon David Cameron MP.
- Announcement of that the first vehicles built will be delivered to Tesco for home grocery deliveries.
- Center Parcs also received a fleet of vehicles at their Elveden Forest park for servicing use.
- Vehicles are now operating in London with Accord, Amey, Speedyhire, Hildon Water, London Borough of Islington and others.
- 100th Modec vehicle produced, production at the Coventry plant ramping up according to plan (maximum capacity 5,000 vehicles per annum).
- London dealer network expands to 6 sites; Distributors appointed in the Netherlands and Ireland
- UPS has ordered Modec electric vans for its UK and German fleets. Energy costs are play a huge part in the potential profitability of package delivery companies like UPS, DHL and FedEx.
- Modec is the first electric vehicle in the N2 class to attain European Whole Vehicle Type Approval. Modec has entered into a joint venture with Navistar International for North and South America. The Joint venture is named Navistar-Modec EV Alliance.
- Following a long term decline in sales, and continued losses, Modec entered administration in March 2011 following the failure of a deal with Navistar. Navistar subsequently bought the intellectual property rights from administrators Zolfo Cooper.
The vehicles use an 80 kW motor and an exchangeable lead-acid battery which is charged from an external charger than requires a 32amp 3-phase supply to charge the vehicle for 6 hours, it also has options for Lithium-Iron Phosphote or Sodium Nickel chloride batteries.
It has a 100-mile (160 km) range, 2 tonne payload and a 50 mph (80 km/h) top speed.
Other electric vehicle makers in the UK
- ^ http://www.unece.org/trans/main/wp29/wp29wgs/wp29gen/wp29fdoc/78r1a2e.pdf
- ^ "Europe: UPS Orders Modec Electric Vans for UK and German Fleets | 4EVRiders.org - Charging Locator and News on Electric and Plug-in Hybrid Vehicles". 4EVRiders.org. 2008-11-20. http://www.4evriders.org/2008/11/europe-ups-orders-modec-electric-vans-for-uk-and-german-fleets/. Retrieved 2010-06-26.
- ^ "Millbrook Offers Modec the Right Kind of Approval". PressReleasePoint. http://www.pressreleasepoint.com/millbrook-offers-modec-right-kind-approval. Retrieved 2010-06-26.
- ^ "Modec finalises joint venture with Navistar International". Fleetnews.co.uk. http://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/story/Modec-finalises-joint-venture-with-Navistar-International/51676. Retrieved 2010-06-26.
- ^ Anna Blackaby (April 8 2011). "Modec electric van know-how sold to US firm Navistar". birminghampost.net. http://www.birminghampost.net/birmingham-business/birmingham-business-news/automotive-business/2011/04/08/modec-electric-van-know-how-sold-to-us-firm-navistar-65233-28486941/. Retrieved 2011-04-19.
- ^ Presentation about Modec vehicles form Paul o'Dowd their Nation Sales manager
- Modec Limited
- Videos about Modec Vehicles
- Interview mit Lord Jamie Borwick with Financial Times
- Interview with Lord Jamie Borwick at REAL BUSINESS about Modec
- Video of Robert Llewellyn driving the van from Brighton to London as part of an eco-rally
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Modec — Van in London … Deutsch Wikipedia
Modec — в Лондоне Modec электрический грузовик, производимый компанией Modec в городе Ковентри, Великобритания. Содержание 1 История … Википедия
Geoffrey Robert James Borwick — Modec Transporter in London Geoffrey Robert James Jamie Borwick, 5. Baron Borwick (* 1955) ist ein britischer Unternehmer und Manager. Lord Jamie Brown ist Eigentümer und Chairman des Herstellers von Elektrolieferwagen Modec in Coventry. Er war… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Floating production storage and offloading — FPSO Mystras at work off the shore of Nigeria FPSO Crystal Ocean moored … Wikipedia
List of production battery electric vehicles — This is a list of production battery electric vehicles (all electric cars). You may want to view this information in table format. Cars Current in production carsFull sized carsCars and trucks of normal size and speed.*AC Propulsion eBox, a li… … Wikipedia
United Parcel Service — Ups redirects here. For other meanings of UPS , see UPS. United Parcel Service, Inc. Type Public company Traded as … Wikipedia
Электромобиль — грузовик 1943 года постройки, Швеция … Википедия
Plounevez-Moedec — Original name in latin Plounvez Modec Name in other language Plounevez Moedec, Plounevez Moedeg, Plounvez Modec State code FR Continent/City Europe/Paris longitude 48.56667 latitude 3.45 altitude 178 Population 1398 Date 2007 11 15 … Cities with a population over 1000 database
Van — This article is about the road vehicle. For the city in Turkey, see Van, Turkey. For other uses, see Van (disambiguation). 1926 Tatra 12 van … Wikipedia
Electric vehicle — Sustainable energy Renewable energy … Wikipedia