Infobox Irish Place
name = Ballyshannon
gaeilge = Béal Átha Seanaidh
pin coords = left: 51px; top: 112px
north coord = 54.5015
west coord = 8.2018
irish grid = G874616
EU constituency = North West
stdcode = +353 71 98 5
town pop = 2,004 | rural pop = 2,686
census yr = 2006 | web =
web = www.ballyshannon.ie
widens and its waters meander over a long sandy estuary. The northern bank of the river rises steeply away from the riverbank, while the southern bank is flat with a small cliff that runs parallel to the river. From its idyllic setting the town looks out over the estuary and has panoramic views of mountains, lakes and forests.
The town, with its steep streets, Georgian homesFact|date=October 2007, and backdrop of mountains and river, gives the town a sense of character. It is also an area of archaeological and historical significance.Fact|date=October 2007
Archaeological sites dating as far back as the
NeolithicPeriod (4000 BC – 2500 BC) have been excavated in Ballyshannon and surrounding areas, representing settlement and ritual activity from early periods of human settlement. Finds have ranged from "fulachta fiadh" (burnt mounds) dating from the Bronze Age, to a possible brushwood trackway thought to date to an earlier Neolithic period, to the recent discovery of a previously unknown medieval church and cemetery containing hundreds of skeletons thought to date from between 1100 and 1400. This site yielded numerous artifacts including silver long cross pennies and halfpennies dating from the reign of Henry III (1251–1276) and Edward I (c.1280–1302). Other finds included bone beads, shroud pins, and pieces of quartzwhich were found placed in the hands of many of the skeletons.
Numerous other sites from various periods are thought to exist, including a neolithic tomb, and the grave of King Red Hugh ("Aedh Rua") upon which St. Anne's church (
Church of Ireland) was supposedly constructed, occupying the highest of the town's vantage points—Mullaghnashee. Nothing remains to mark either tomb, the last vestige of the mound on Mullaghnashee having been obliterated in 1798 when a fort was constructed on the hill-top. The 18th century churchyard and the paupers' burial ground were both referred to as "Sidh Aedh Ruaidh", the Fairy Mound of Red Hugh. The 'shee' (Anglicisation of the Irish "sidh") in Mullaghnashee means 'fairies'. Popular belief assigned the interior of hills to fairies' dwelling places and local tradition has handed down accounts of the exploits of the fairy folk, especially among the Finner sand-hills and in the Wardtown district of Ballyshannon.
Vikings, according to the Annals of Ulster, attacked nearby InishmurrayIsland in 795. Later they used the River Erneto attack inland, burning Devenish IslandMonastery in 822. The Annals also record that in 836, all the churches of Loch Erne, together with Cluain Eois ( Clones) and Daimhinis (Devenish Island) were destroyed by the "gentiles". In 923 and 916 respectively, "a fleet of foreigners on Loch Erne plundered the islands of the lake", as well as the surrounding territories.
Normansmarched to Ballyshannon from their base at Sligoand Bishop de Grey of Norwich ordered Gilbert de Angulo to built a castle at Belleek (near Ballyshannon) in 1211. During the 12th century an order of the Cistercians was established on Abbey Island, by the estuary where the ruins of their Abbey, founded by Flaithertach O'Muldorg in 1178, still remain. The ivy covered portions of the West Gable and of the South Wall is a mute reminder of its suppression in the late 16th century. Old stones from the original Abbey can be found in the churchyard wall and adjacent farm buildings. Remains of the Abbey mill nearby are intact thanks to restoration work carried out by the Abbey Mills Restoration Trust in the 1990s.
Down through the centuries the town has been at the forefront of Irish history. The earliest invaders of Ireland, the Parthalonians, led by Parthalon a chieftain from Scythia (near modern Macedonia), are believed to have landed here around 2700 BC and settled on Inis Saimer Island at the mouth of the Erne River. Vikings were also said to have settled here and they, in turn, were succeeded by the great Celtic Warrior Clan the O'Donnells. The O'Donnells built their castle here and in 1597 they defeated the English forces in the 'Battle of Ballyshannon'. The town is claimed to be the oldest in Ireland, receiving Royal Charter in 1613 and was a British garrison town . The building hosting the garrison can still be found at the Erne bridge and was long believed to be haunted by a ghostly figure named 'The Green Lady'. 'The Barracks', as it was referred to, dates from 1700 and was designed by Colonel Thomas Burgh. He was, in Maurice Craig's words, "the first architect".
hydroelectric powerstation was built in the town in the 1950s. The project, or 'Scheme' as it was then referred to, brought engineers, electricians, and specialists in hydroelectricity from many parts of the country and abroad to the town, which experienced a boom during the decade-long construction period. This involved building a dam upriver from the town at Cathleen's Falls (also known as Assaroe Falls) and digging out a deep channel to lower the riverbed through the town to increase the head of water at the dam in order to drive the turbines. Before the station was built, the river was wide, and the water level much higher than it is today. A long bridge spanned from the northern shore to the 'port' on the southern bank. The waters spilled over a number of waterfalls, among them Cathleen's Falls, before meandering out to sea. Today, however, the river runs through a narrow channel, far below the level of either bank and a narrower single arch bridge has replaced the old one. The newly built Ballyshannon–Bundoran bypass has added a new, more modern bridge over the river. A pedestrian bridge was also constructed to mark the millennium.
Second World Warthe British and Irish governments quietly reached an agreement to create an air corridor, the " Donegal Corridor", which was used by British Royal Air Forceflights from Northern Irelandinto the Atlantic Oceancite web
last = Guidera
first = Anita
title = Plaques mark secret wartime air corridor in Donegal
publisher = Irish Independent
date = April 19 2007
url = http://www.independent.ie/national-news/plaques-mark-secret-wartime-air-corridor-in-donegal-44249.html
accessdate = 2008-09-04 ] . This was used by the aircraft which located the
German battleship Bismarck[cite book
last = Kennedy
first = Ludovic
title = Pursuit: The Sinking of the "Bismarck"
publisher = Book Club Associates
date = 1975
location = London
pages = p.137
id = ] .
* [http://www.goingtomyhometown.com The Rory Gallagher International Tribute Festival] took place in Ballyshannon in 2008 over a four-day period commencing on Thursday 29 May and concluding on Sunday 1 June. Over 6,000 people attended the event, the biggest music festival in the north west of Ireland.
RossnowlaghBeach, local surfing venue
* [http://franciscans.ie/content/view/34/33/ Franciscan Friary] is situated convert|7|km|mi northeast of Ballyshannon.
* [http://www.ballyshannonfolkfestival.com Ballyshannon Folk Festival] takes place every year on the August bank holiday weekend.
Transport and communications
[http://www.buseireann.ie Bus Eireann] offers routes to major cities in the Republic of Ireland including
[http://www.ulsterbus.co.uk Ulsterbus] offers services to major cities in
Northern Irelandincluding Belfastand Derry.
[http://www.fedaodonnell.com/ Feda ODonnell] offers routes to from north Donegal (
Gweedore) to major cities in the west of Ireland including Sligoand Galway, via Ballyshannon
broadbandis available in Ballyshannon, installed by Donegal County Counciland provided by all major broadband providers, i.e. Eircomand Perlico
* Birthplace of poet
* Birthplace of politician
William Conollyin 1662
* Birthplace of
Mary Shelley's Grandmother, Elizabeth Dixon. Mary Shelley was author of "Frankenstein" published in 1818
Bram Stoker's grandfather lived in Ballyshannon. Lieutenant Thomas Thornley, 43rd Regiment, married Matilda Blake in St. Anne’s Church on 3 October 1817. After living for some years in Sligo, the couple returned to Ballyshannon in 1832 in an attempt to escape from a cholera plague in Sligo. Along the journey, angry crowds tried to keep travellers from Sligo out of each town, however the Thornleys managed to get into their cousins' house located on the Mall. It is claimed that Charlotte Thornley's account of the plague in Sligo and the dramatic coach journey to Ballyshannon, influenced her son Bram Stoker to write the classic Gothic horror novel "Dracula" in 1897.
* Birthplace of legendary blues rocker
* Birthplace of British Prime Minister
Tony Blair's mother, Hazel Corscadden
* Hometown of well known actor
Sean McGinleyGAA Star Brian Roper and RTÉ Sports Correspondents Martin Carney & Barry O'Neill.
* Birthplace of Thomas Barton's Mother Elizabeth Dixon and Thomas's wife Mary Delap, it was from Ballyshannon port in 1725 that Thomas, his Wife, and son left Ireland for France where he founded one of the worlds largest wine negotiant firms Barton & Guestier and also established Leoville Barton & Langoa Barton Vineyards in
* Birthplace of Seamus O'Jimson
* Birthplace of James Rogan, who, in 1830, founded Rogan of Donegal, the world's oldest fly-dressing firm.
* The Gallagher
clanhave their origins in the baronyof Tirhugh to the north of Ballyshannon.
Gaelic Athletic Associationclub is Aodh Ruadh
*The Holy Family National School (Formerly Known as St Joseph's Primary School).
*St Catherines Primary School (Also known as scoil cathrina in Irish).
*Colaiste Cholmcille Secondary School.
* List of abbeys and priories in the Republic of Ireland (County Donegal)
List of towns in the Republic of Ireland
* [http://www.geocities.com/johngall_99 Ballyshannon Website]
* [http://www.goingtomyhometown.com The Rory Gallagher International Tribute Festival]
* [http://www.ballyshannon.ie Ballyshannon Council Website]
* [http://www.BallyshannonOnline.com Ballyshannon Online]
* [http://www.aodhruadh.org Aodh Ruadh GAA Club Website]
* [http://www.ballyshannonfolkfestival.com Ballyshannon Folk & Traditional Festival]
* [http://www.diceys.com Ballyshannon's Award Winning Bar & Off Licence]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Ballyshannon — Administration Nom irlandais Béal Átha Seanaidh Pays Irlande Province Ulster Comté Comté de Donegal Site web … Wikipédia en Français
Ballyshannon — (spr. Bällischännen), Stadt am Erne (mit 15 Fuß hohem Fall) in der irischen Provinz Ulster, Grafschaft Donegal, Handel mit Getreide, Leinwand, Fischen (Lachse u. Aale), 9000 Ew. Höhle in der Nachbarschaft, das Fegefeuer des St. Patrik genannt … Pierer's Universal-Lexikon
Ballyshannon — (spr. bällĭschännen), Stadt in der irischen Grafschaft Donegal, an der Mündung des Erne in die Donegalbai, mit (1891) 2471 Einw. und ansehnlicher Fischerei … Meyers Großes Konversations-Lexikon
Ballyshannon — (spr. bällischänn n), Hafenstadt in der irischen Grafsch. Donegal, am Erne, (1891) 2471 E … Kleines Konversations-Lexikon
Ballyshannon — (Bällischänʼn), irische Stadt in der Provinz Ulster, 4000 E., Hafen, Linnenfabrikation, Aal und Lachsfang; in der Nähe die Höhle: das Fegfeuer des hl. Patrik … Herders Conversations-Lexikon
Ballyshannon — Der Fluss Erne in Ballyshannon Ballyshannon (irisch: Béal Átha Seanaidh) ist ein Ort im äußersten Süden des County Donegal im Nordwesten Irlands mit 3.486 Einwohnern (2011). Jüngst wurde dort eine futuristisch anmutende Brücke über den Erne… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Ballyshannon — Original name in latin Ballyshannon Name in other language Ballyshannon, Beal Atha Seanaidh, Bal tha Seanaidh State code IE Continent/City Europe/Dublin longitude 54.5 latitude 8.18333 altitude 8 Population 2683 Date 2012 01 18 … Cities with a population over 1000 database
Ballyshannon — Sp Bališãnonas Ap Ballyshannon angliškai Ap Béal Átha Seanaidh airiškai L Airija … Pasaulio vietovardžiai. Internetinė duomenų bazė
Ballyshannon (Parliament of Ireland constituency) — Parliament of Ireland former constituency infobox Name = Ballyshannon Type = Borough Year = 1613 Post Union = DisfranchisedBallyshannon (also known as Ballyshannon Borough) was a constituency represented in the Irish House of Commons from 1613 to … Wikipedia
Баллишанон — (Ballyshannon) торговое местечко с 2840 жит. (1881 г.) в ирландск. провинции Ульстер, в графстве Донегаль (см. это сл.) … Энциклопедический словарь Ф.А. Брокгауза и И.А. Ефрона