- J. J. Gibson
James Jerome Gibson (
January 27 1904– December 11 1979), was an American psychologistwho received his Ph.D. from Princeton University's Department of Psychology, considered one of the most important 20th century psychologists in the field of visual perception. In his classic work "The Perception of the Visual World" (1950) he rejected the fashionable behaviorismfor a view based on his own experimental work, which pioneered the idea that animals 'sampled' information from the 'ambient' outside world. He also coined the term ' affordance', meaning the interactive possibilities of a particular object or environment. This concept has been extremely influential in the field of designand ergonomics: see for example the work of Donald Normanwho worked with Gibson, and has adapted many of his ideas for his own theories. Fact|date=December 2007
In his later work (such as, for example, "The Ecological Approach to Visual Perception" (1979)), Gibson became more philosophical and criticised
cognitivismin the same way he had attacked behaviorism before. Gibson argued strongly in favour of 'direct perception', or ' direct realism' (as pioneered by the Scottish philosopher Thomas Reid), as opposed to cognitivist 'indirect realism'. He termed his new approach ecological psychology. He also rejected the information processingview of cognition. Gibson is increasingly influential on many contemporary movements in psychology, particularly those considered to be post-cognitivist.Fact|date=December 2007
Gibson was married to fellow psychologist
* Gibson, J.J. & Gibson, E. (1955). Perceptual learning: differentiation or enrichment? Psyc. Rev., 62, 32-41.
* Gibson, J.J. (1950). The Perception of the Visual World. Boston: Houghton Mifflin.
* Gibson, J.J. (1966). The Senses Considered as Perceptual Systems. Boston: Houghton Mifflin. ISBN 0313239614
* Gibson, J.J. (1972). A theory of Direct Visual Perception. In J. Royce, W. Rozenboom (Eds.). The psychology of Knowing. New York: Gordon & Breach.
* Gibson, J.J. (1977). The Theory of Affordances (pp. 67-82). In R. Shaw & J. Bransford (Eds.). Perceiving, Acting, and Knowing: Toward an Ecological Psychology. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.
* Gibson, J.J. (1979). The Ecological Approach to Visual Perception. Boston: Houghton Mifflin.ISBN 0898599598 (1986)
* Gibson, J.J. (1982). Reasons for Realism: Selected essays of James J. Gibson, E. Reed & R. Jones (Eds.). Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.
* [http://huwi.org/gibson/index.php The purple Perils of J. J. Gibson]
* [http://gombrich.co.uk/dispute.php The Gombrich/Gibson Dispute]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Gibson SG — Производи … Википедия
Gibson Spirit — Производитель Gibson Пе … Википедия
Gibson Guitar Corporation — Rechtsform Kompanie Gründung 1902 Sitz … Deutsch Wikipedia
Gibson Flying V — Производитель Gibson … Википедия
Gibson Gary Moore Les Paul — Производитель Gibson Период 2000 2001 год Конструкция … Википедия
Gibson Les Paul 54 Custom — Производитель Gibson … Википедия
Gibson Les Paul 54 Custom Bigsby — Про … Википедия
Gibson Les Paul 57 Custom — Производитель Gibson … Википедия
Gibson Les Paul Classic — Производитель … Википедия
Gibson Les Paul Melody Maker — Производитель … Википедия
Gibson Les Paul Standard — Gibson Les Paul Standard … Википедия