- John Osmond
John Osmond (born 1946) is the director of the independent Welsh
think-tank, the Institute of Welsh Affairs. He has contributed to numerous books on the subjects of Welsh politics, culture and devolution, and is also a former journalist and television producer.
Personal life and education
John Osmond was born in
Abergavennyin 1946. He attended King Henry VIII Grammar School, before moving on to study for a Bachelor of Arts(BA) in Philosophy and Politics at the University of Bristol. In 2004 he was awarded an honorary MA by the University of Wales[ [http://www.wales.ac.uk/resources/documents/section%208%20hon%20grads.pdf University of Wales Honorary Graduates] ] .
Upon leaving University, Osmond began working as a reporter for the
Yorkshire Post. He returned to Wales in the 1970s to work for the Western Mail newspaper as a reporter and Welsh Affairs Correspondent. During the 1980s he worked for HTV Wales, helping launch the current affairs programme "Wales this Week" and producing a number of documentary series, including "The Divided Kingdom" for Channel 4. He was Deputy Editor for Wales on Sunday between 1988 and 1990.
In the 1990s Osmond formed his own television company,
Agenda Productions, producing programmes for the BBC, HTV, Channel 4, S4Cand STV.
In 1996 Osmond became the director of the Welsh think-tank, the
Institute of Welsh Affairs, a position that he still holds. In May 2007 he stood for election for the Preseli Pembrokeshireconstituency in the National Assembly for Wales Election, representing Plaid Cymru. However, Conservativecandidate Paul Davieswon the seat, defeating Tamsin Dunwoody, the Welsh Labourincumbent.
Osmond was the editor of a radical magazine, , which was published between 1980 and 1982.
He currently holds a number of notable positions:
* Honorary Senior Research Fellow with the Constitution Unit, School of Public Policy,
University College, London.
* Fellow of the
University of Wales Institute, Cardiff.
* Member of [http://www.academi.org Academi] Literature Promotion Agency for Wales.
* Board Member of [http://www.darwincentre.com Pembrokeshire Darwin Centre for Biology and Medicine] .
* Board Member of [http://www.cynnalcymru.org Cynnal Cymru] : the Sustainable Development Forum for Wales.
Osmond has contributed to a number of books on Welsh politics, culture and devolution; the titles of which are given below.
* Crossing the Rubicon: Coalition Politics Welsh Style (IWA, 2007)
* Myths, Memories and Futures: The National Library and National Museum in the Story of Wales (Editor, IWA, 2007)
* Time to Deliver: The Third Term and Beyond (Editor, IWA, 2006)
* Welsh Politics Come of Ages (Editor, IWA, 2005)
* Birth of Welsh Democracy (Editor, IWA, 2003)
* Building a Civic Culture: Institutional Change, Policy Development and Political Dynamics in the National Assembly for Wales (co-Editor, 2002, IWA)
* The National Assembly Agenda (Editor, IWA, 1998)
* Welsh Europeans (Seren, 1995)
* The Reality of Dyslexia (Cassell, 1993)
* The Democratic Challenge (Gomer, 1992)
* The Divided Kingdom (Constable, 1988)
* The National Question Again - Welsh Political Identity in the 1980s (Editor, Gomer, 1985)
* Work in the Future (Thorsons, 1986)
* Police Conspiracy (Y Lolfa, 1984)
* Alternatives (Thorsons, 1983)
* Creative Conflict: The Politics of Welsh Devolution (Routledge, 1978)
* The Centralist Enemy (Christopher Davies, 1974)
* [http://www.iwa.org.uk/about_us/staff.htm Institute of Welsh Affairs 'Staff' page] , October 2007
* [http://web.archive.org/web/20041213095417/http://www.uwic.ac.uk/new/uwicnews/details.asp?rec=295 UWIC News Release] , June 2003
* [http://web.archive.org/web/20070504222026/http://www.plaidcymru.org/content.php?nID=333;lID=1 Plaid Cymru Candidate Profile] , May 2007
Institute of Welsh Affairs
* [http://www.iwa.org.uk IWA Website]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Osmond (surname) — Osmond family The Osmond family, whose members formed American pop group The Osmonds Alan Osmond, Osmond family entertainer Donny Osmond, Osmond family entertainer George Osmond, Osmond family patriarch Jay Osmond, Osmond family entertainer Jimmy … Wikipedia
Osmond Barnes — Osmond Barnes, photographed in tabard as Chief Herald of India at the Delhi Durbar of 1877 Colonel Osmond Barnes CB (23 December 1834 – 20 May 1930) was a British soldier of the Indian Army and Chief Herald of … Wikipedia
John Malkovich — en juillet 2009 Données clés Nom de naissance John Gavin Malkovich … Wikipédia en Français
John Malkovitch — John Malkovich John Malkovich Nom de naissance John Gavin Malkovich Naissance 9 décembre 1953 (55 ans) Christopher … Wikipédia en Français
John Schneider — John Schneider. Este artículo o sección necesita una revisión de … Wikipedia Español
John horsley (acteur) — Pour les articles homonymes, voir John Horsley. John Horsley est un acteur britannique né en 1920 à Westcliff on Sea au Royaume Uni. Biographie Filmographie 1950 : Highly Dangerous : Customs Officer 1951 : The Quiet Woman :… … Wikipédia en Français
John oswald (compositeur) — John Oswald (30 mai 1953, Kitchener, Ontario, Canada) est un compositeur de musique électroacoustique résidant à Toronto, Canada. John Oswald est reconnu comme militant précurseur du Copyleft et de l anti copyright et pour ses collages musicaux à … Wikipédia en Français
John Schneider — im Dezember 2007 John Richard Schneider (* 8. April 1960 in Mount Kisco, New York) ist ein US amerikanischer Schauspieler, Produzent, Regisseur und Sänger … Deutsch Wikipedia
John L. Wasserman — (Born August 13 1938) was an entertainment critic for the San Francisco Chronicle from 1964 until the time of his death in 1979. Known more for humor and originality than in depth analysis, he s best known for his creative reviews of bad films,… … Wikipedia
John Mordaunt, 1st Viscount Mordaunt — (18 June 1626 – 5 June 1675) was an English royalist.He was born in Lowick, the second son of John Mordaunt, 1st Earl of Peterborough and Elizabeth Howard (d. 1671), daughter of William Howard, 1st Baron Howard of Effingham.In June 1648, he… … Wikipedia