- Chicken scratch
Chicken scratch (also known as waila music) is a kind of dance music developed by the Tohono O'odham people. The genre evolved out of acoustic fiddle bands in southern Arizona, in the Sonoran desert. These bands began playing European and Mexican tunes, in styles that include the polka, schottisch and mazurka.
Chicken scratch, however, is at its root, an interpretation of norteño music, which is itself a Mexican adaptation of polka. Many chicken scratch bands still play polka songs with a distinctive flourish, and may also play the waltz or conjunto. Chicken scratch dance is based on the "walking two step or the walking polka and the emphasis is on (a) very smooth gliding movement"; dancers may also perform the mazurka or the chote, though no matter the style, it is always performed counterclockwise.
Chicken scratch is usually played with a band including alto saxophone, bass, guitar, drums and accordion, though the original style used only percussion, guitar and violin, with the accordion and saxophone added in the 1950s. Its home is the Tohono O'odham Indian Reservation, Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community and Gila River Indian Community.
The term waila comes from Spanish bailar, meaning to dance. The term chicken scratch comes from a description of traditional Tohono O'odham dance, which involves kicking the heels high in the air, which supposedly bears a resemblance to a chicken scratching.
The most famous performers are likely the Joaquín Brothers, Los Papagos Molinas with Virgil Molina, and Southern Scratch. The Annual Waila Festival in Tucson, Arizona is well-known, as is the Rock-A-Bye Music Fest in Casa Grande, Arizona.
- ^ "Waila: Chicken Scratch". Pulse of the Planet. http://www.pulseplanet.com/archive/Apr00/2124.html. Retrieved June 21, 2005. Pulse of the Planet also mentions cumbia as a more recent influence
- ^ "Accordion Music". Music of the Southwest. http://parentseyes.arizona.edu/msw/accordion/. Retrieved June 21, 2005.
- ^ a b Pulse of the Planet
- ^ a b c "The Annual Waila Festival". http://www.americaslibrary.gov/cgi-bin/page.cgi/es/az/waila_1. Retrieved June 21, 2005.
- ^ "Le chant des Indiens d'Amérique du Nord". La Médiathèque. http://www.lamediatheque.be/Documents/Indiens/chicken.htm. Retrieved June 21, 2005. (in French)
- ^ a b Means, Andrew. "Hey-Ya, Weya Ha-Ya-Ya!". 2000. In Broughton, Simon and Ellingham, Mark with McConnachie, James and Duane, Orla (Ed.), The Rough Guide to World Music, Rough Guides Ltd, Penguin Books. p. 594. ISBN 1858286360
- ^ Southern Scratch. Canyon Records (23 April 2009)
- ^ "Music Awards - BEST WAILA". http://www.nativeamericanmusicawards.com/bestwaila.cfm. Retrieved August 13, 2011.
- Wright-McLeod, Brian (2000). The Encyclopedia of Native Music: More Than a Century of Recordings from Wax Cylinder to the Internet. University of Arizona Press. ISBN ISBN 0-8165-2448-3.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
chicken scratch — noun cramped or illegible handwriting • Hypernyms: ↑scribble, ↑scratch, ↑scrawl, ↑cacography … Useful english dictionary
chicken scratch — noun Cramped or illegible handwriting. Syn: scrawl … Wiktionary
chicken scratch — illegible writing … English contemporary dictionary
handwriting like chicken scratch — If your handwriting is very hard to read, it is like chicken scratch … The small dictionary of idiomes
handwriting like chicken scratch — If your handwriting is very hard to read, it is like chicken scratch. (Dorking School Dictionary) … English Idioms & idiomatic expressions
Handwriting like chicken scratch — If your handwriting is very hard to read, it is like chicken scratch … Dictionary of English idioms
Chicken soup — Chicken Noodle Soup redirects here. For the DJ Webstar song, see Chicken Noodle Soup (song). For the book series, see Chicken Soup for the Soul. For the TV series, see Chicken Soup (TV series). A common chicken soup variation, with egg noodles… … Wikipedia
Scratch and Grounder — are a pair of fictional Badnik robots created by Dr. Robotnik as adversaries of Sonic the Hedgehog in the animated series Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog . They form the greater part of Robotnik s Super Special Sonic Search and Smash Squad… … Wikipedia
chicken out — [v] back out avoid, back down, back pedal*, beg off*, blow it off*, cancel, chicken out*, cop out*, get cold feet*, give up, go back on, recant, renege, resign, scratch, shy from, surrender, throw in the towel*, turn yellow*, weasel out, welsh,… … New thesaurus
Chicken — Gallus gallus domesticus redirects here. For other subspecies, see Red Junglefowl. Chooks redirects here. For the fast food chain, see Chooks Fresh Tasty. This article is about the animal. For chicken as human food, see Chicken (food). For other… … Wikipedia