- Africa Star
Infobox Military Award
caption=Obverse of medal and ribbon
United Kingdomand Commonwealth
description=Six pointed star
* 8th Army
* 1st Army
* North Africa 1942-43
: "This article is about the British campaign medal. For the diamond see
Star of Africa."
The Africa Star was a campaign medal of the British Commonwealth, awarded for service in
World War II.
The Star was awarded for a minimum one day service in an operational area of North Africa between
10 June 1940and 12 May 1943. The whole of the area between the Suez Canaland the Strait of Gibraltaris included, together with Malta, Abyssinia, Kenya, Sudan, The Solmalilands and Eritrea. The areas not bordering the Mediterranean only qualified for the Africa Star from 10 June 1940to 27 November 1941.:Members of the Australian Imperial Force qualified for the Star for service in Syria from 8 June 1941and 11 July 1941[Commonwealth of Australia Gazette No S134 dated 10 April 1995] .
* The Africa Star is a six–pointed star of yellow copper zinc alloy, with a height of 44mm and a maximum width of 38mm.
* The obverse has a central design of the
Royal Cypherof King George VI, surmounted by a crown. The cypher is surrounded by a circlet containing the words ‘The Africa Star'.
* The reverse is plain, although Stars issued to Australian and South African personnel have recipient names engraved.
* The ribbon for this medal, along with those of the other Second World War campaign stars, is reputed to have been designed by King George VI. The sand of the desert is represented by pale buff, the
Royal Navy(and Merchant Navy), British Army, and Royal Air Forceare represented by stripes of dark blue, red, and light blue respectively.
Regulations only allow one clasp to be worn with the Star, being the first clasp the recipient qualified for.
* 8th Army:Awarded for service with the 8th Army between
23 October 1942and 12 May 1943. An '8' is worn on the ribbon in undress to denote this bar
* 1st Army:Awarded for service with the 1st Army between
8 November 1942and 12 May 1943. A '1' is worn on the ribbon in undress to denote this bar
* North Africa 1942-43:Awarded for service with the navy, merchant navy, air force (from
23 October 1942) or headquarters of the 18th Army Group(from 15 February 1943) until 12 May 1943. In undress, a rosette on the ribbon denotes this bar.
British campaign medals
Australian campaign medals
* Mackay, J and Mussel, J (eds) - "Medals Yearbook - 2006", (2005), Token Publishing.
* Joslin, Litherland, and Simpkin (eds), "British Battles and Medals", (1988), Spink
* [http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceFor/Veterans/Medals/AfricaStar.htm UK DoD site]
* [http://www.defence.gov.au/medals/Content/+040%20Campaign%20Medals/+100%20World%20War%20II/+040%20Africa%20Star/default.htm ADF Honours and Awards]
* [http://www.stephen-stratford.co.uk/wwii_medals.htm Stephen Stratford Medals site]
* [http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/remembers/sub.cfm?source=collections/cmdp/mainmenu/group04/afstar Veterans Affairs Canada site]
* [http://medals.nzdf.mil.nz/category/h/h12.html NZDF Medals site]
* [http://medals.nzdf.mil.nz/warrants/h12-reg.html Africa Star Regulations from NZDF site]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Africa Star — Décerné par … Wikipédia en Français
Africa Star — La Estrella de África S.A. Tipo Empresa privada Fundación 1953 Sede … Wikipedia Español
Star of South Africa (diamond) — Star of South Africa Dudley Diamond Weight 47.69 carats (9.54 g) Color white Cut pear Country of origin Cape Colony … Wikipedia
Star Academy Arab World — Star Academy title card Format Interactive talent show Reality Created by John de Mol … Wikipedia
Star Air Cargo — Размер флота 2 Штаб квартира Йоханнесбург … Википедия
Star Finch — Conservation status Near Threatened (IUC … Wikipedia
Star Hellas — Miss Hellas Miss Young (Greek: Σταρ Ελλάς) is the longest running beauty pageant in Greece. The winner of the contest is crowned Star Hellas and goes on to represent Greece in Miss Universe, B Star Hellas goes to Miss International while Miss… … Wikipedia
Star Wars: The Clone Wars (2008 TV series) — Star Wars: The Clone Wars Genre Serial Science fiction Action/Adventure Drama … Wikipedia
Star Alliance — Star Alliance … Википедия
Star (newspaper) — Star or The Star can refer to one of several newspapers and magazines: * The Star (Amman newspaper), an English language newspaper published in Amman, Jordan * The Star (Hong Kong) * The Star (London), a London evening newspaper founded in 1788,… … Wikipedia