- Linguistic rights
Linguistic rights (or language rights or linguistic human rights) are the human and
civil rightsconcerning the individual and collective rightto chose the language or languages for communicating in a private or public atmosphere, regardless ethnicityor nationalityor the number of the speakers of a language in a given territory.
Linguistic rights include the right to legal, administrative and judicial acts, education, and the media in a language understood and freely chosen by those concerned. They are a means of resisting forced
cultural assimilationand linguistic imperialism, especially in the context of protection of minorities and indigenous peoples.
Linguistic rights in international law are usually dealt in the broader framework of cultural and
Important documents for linguistic rights include the
Universal Declaration of Linguistic Rights, the European Charter for Regional or Minority Languagesand the Framework Convention for the Protection of National Minorities.
* T Skutnabb-Kangas & R Phillipson, [http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=Jo3NobRqFUQC&oi=fnd&pg=PA1&sig=loCFbxgKmczzYJV36jMARJ11MJo&dq=linguistic+human+rights#PPP1,M1 Linguistic Human Rights: Overcoming Linguistic Discrimination] , Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter, 1994.
* [http://privatewww.essex.ac.uk/%7Epatrickp/lhr/linguistichumanrights.htm Linguistic Human Rights: A Sociolinguistic Introduction] by Prof. Peter L. Patrick, Department of Language & Linguistics, University of Essex
* [http://www.ciemen.org/mercator/Menu_nou/index.cfm?lg=gb Mercator: Linguistic Rights and Legislation]
* [http://www.unesco.org/most/ln2pol3.htm To speak or not to speak] and [http://www.eumap.org/journal/features/2004/minority_education/edminlang The right to education and minority language] by Fernand de Varennes, Murdoch University
OSCE[http://www.osce.org/documents/hcnm/1996/10/2700_en.pdf Hague recommendations regarding the education rights of national minorities & explanatory note]
OSCE[http://www.osce.org/documents/hcnm/1998/02/2699_en.pdf Oslo recommendation regarding the linguistic rights of national minorities]
Congress of the Council of EuropeRecommendation 222 (2007) [https://wcd.coe.int/ViewDoc.jsp?id=1144741&BackColorInternet=e0cee1&BackColorIntranet=e0cee1&BackColorLogged=FFC679 Language Education in Regional or Minority Languages]
* [http://www.linguistic-rights.org/ Linguistic Rights | Droits linguistiques | Lingvaj rajtoj | Diritti linguistici] - International Symposium on "Linguistic Rights in the World, the current situation", United Nations, Geneva, 24th of April 2008
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Universal Declaration of Linguistic Rights — The Universal Declaration of Linguistic Rights is a document signed by UNESCO, the PEN Clubs, and several non governmental organizations in 1996 to support linguistic rights, especially those of endangered languages.ee also*Language policy… … Wikipedia
Commission of Inquiry on the Situation of the French Language and Linguistic Rights in Quebec — The Commission of Inquiry on the Situation of the French Language and Linguistic Rights in Quebec was established under the Union Nationale government of Jean Jacques Bertrand on December 9, 1968. Contents 1 Background 2 Composition 3 Mandate … Wikipedia
Linguistic discrimination — is discrimination based on native language, usually in the language policy especially in education of a state that has one or several linguistic minorities.Critics denounce linguistic discrimination as a violation of linguistic rights.… … Wikipedia
Linguistic imperialism — For the book by Robert Phillipson, see Linguistic Imperialism. Linguistic imperialism, or language imperialism, is a linguistics concept that involves the transfer of a dominant language to other people. The transfer is essentially a… … Wikipedia
linguistic policy and legislation — One of the most distinctive features of post Franco Spain is its emergence as a decentralized and plurilingual country after a period during which severe, albeit lessening, repression of minority languages was exercised in the interests of… … Encyclopedia of contemporary Spanish culture
Linguistic prescription — Linguistics … Wikipedia
Minority rights — Rights Theoretical distinctions Natural and legal rights Claim rights and liberty rights Negative and positive rights Individual an … Wikipedia
Section Twenty-three of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms — is the section of the Charter that constitutionally guarantees minority language educational rights to French speaking communities outside Quebec, and, to a lesser extent, English speaking minorities in Quebec. The section may be particularly… … Wikipedia
Human rights in the Islamic Republic of Iran — The state of human rights in the Islamic Republic of Iran has been criticized both by both Iranians and international human right activists, writers, and NGOs. The United Nations General Assembly and the Human Rights Commission have condemned… … Wikipedia
Outline of rights — The following outline is provided as an overview of and introduction to rights: Rights – normative principles, variously construed as legal, social, or moral freedoms or entitlements. Contents 1 Theoretical distinctions 2 Other divisions 3 … Wikipedia