Bistriţa Monastery


Bistriţa Monastery
The 15th century bell tower
The tomb of Alexandru cel Bun
Moldavian Coat of Arms

The Bistriţa Monastery (Romanian: Mănăstirea Bistriţa, pronounced [ˈbistrit͡sa] ( listen)) is a Romanian Orthodox monastery located 8 km west of Piatra Neamţ. It was dedicated in 1402 by Romanian Voivode Alexandru cel Bun whose remains are buried here.

The monastery is surrounded by 4 meter high stone walls built during Petru Rareş's reign (1541-1546), the original ones being destroyed in 1538 by Suleiman the Magnificent's army. Also from the same period dates a chapel located north of the monastery. The church is historically and archaeologically valuable. It shows features of Byzantine architecture, has many beautiful ornaments, the 15th century entrance door being a work of fine craftsmanship. The bell tower was erected in 1498 by Stephen the Great.

A remarkable item preserved here is the miraculous icon of Saint Anne given as a present to the monastery by Manuel II Palaiologos, emperor of Constantinople.

The monastery was an important cultural center for calligraphers, miniaturists and chroniclers. The monastery's museum hosts an important collection of medieval art.

External links

Coordinates: 46°57′28″N 26°17′21″E / 46.95778°N 26.28927°E / 46.95778; 26.28927