- Joppatowne High School
name = Joppatowne High School
established = 1972
type = Public Secondary
principal = Macon L. Tucker, Jr.
grades = 9–12
city = Joppatowne,
Harford County, Maryland
country = USA
Harford County Public Schools
campus = Suburban
mascot = Mariners
website = [https://www.edline.net/pages/JoppatowneHighSchool]
image_caption = Joppatowne's main entrances
image_caption2 = Logo on the exterior of Joppatowne High School
Joppatowne High School is a
high schoolin Harford County, Maryland.
Joppatowne High School was established in 1972.
Homeland Security program
In August 2007, Joppatowne became the first high school to specialize in teaching skills useful to the industries serving U.S.
Homeland Security[http://www.hcps.org/schools/high/joppatowne/homelandsecurity/default.aspx] . Mother Jones magazine reported that, funded by government agencies as well as defense firms, students in the school's "Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness magnet program will study cybersecurityand geospatial intelligence, respond to mock terror attacks, and receive limited security clearances at the nearby Army chemical warfarelab." The school is also expected to offer lessons in Arabic and other languages useful to current US homeland security interests [http://www.motherjones.com/news/outfront/2007/09/black-ops-jungle.html] .
Joppatowne High School is located on 555 Joppa Farm Road in
Joppa, MD. The school is in the southwest corner of Harford County, just south of U.S. Route 40. The schools borders the districts of Fallston High Schooland Edgewood High School.
Football, cheerleading, boys' and girls' soccer, field hockey, cross-country, golf
Boys' and girls' basketball, cheerleading, swimming, wrestling
Track and field, boys' and girls' lacrosse, tennis, baseball, softball
School sports accomplishments
Joppatowne football won the state championships in 1975 and 2003.Joppatowne Varsity cheerleaders placed 2nd in the County Competition and 7th in the Regional Competition in 2007. The varsity basketball team won Class A state titles in 1990 and 1991.
* Richard K. Impallaria, State Delegate.
Lee Steel, Musician, Entertainer.
* Phillip Tillman, Played football at
Valley Forge Military Academy, Pittsburgh Panthersand currently playing with the Erie RiverRats.
* Jay Thomas, class of 1985, is a professor of law at
Wendy Davis, class of 1984, works as an actress in Hollywood. Her latest project is the Lifetime series 'Army Wives.' She has also appeared in episodes of 'Grey's Anatomy,' 'Cold Case,' Coach,' and many other shows. She was a regular in the series "The New WKRP in Cincinnati" and 'High Incident.'
* Thori Staples played on the US National women's soccer team.
* Tim Braue, class of 1988, ran President Bush's 2004 campaign in Maryland, and also served in the Ehrlich administration before entering private law practice.
* Chris Strovel, class of 1987, recently left a ten-year stint at
WEPMradio in Martinsburg, WV to become a Field Representative for Congresswoman Shelley Moore Capito(WV-02).
* Jane Bellmyer, class of 1977, staff writer for The Cecil Whig, a daily newspaper based in Elkton, Md. 2002-current. (www.cecilwhig.com)Spent previous 25 years in radio news on WSER-AM, WAMD-AM and WXCY-FM. Winner of several Associated Press awards; in broadcasting for editorial writing and in newspaper for spot news photography. Also winner in Maryland-Delaware-DC Press Association Award for religion reporting.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.