- Eliot L. Engel
name = Eliot Engel
date of birth = birth date and age|1947|02|18
place of birth =
New York City, New York
occupation= high school teacher, attorney
Lehman College, City University of New York, New York University
Bronx, New York City, New York
district = 17th
January 3, 1989
succeeded = Incumbent
party = Democrat
spouse = Patricia Ennis
children = Julia Engel
Eliot Lance Engel (born
February 18, 1947) is an American Democratic politician from the U.S. stateof New Yorkwho currently represents the New York State 17th Congressional District ( [http://nationalatlas.gov/printable/images/preview/congdist/ny17_109.gifmap] ). The district encompasses portions of the Bronx, Westchester County, and Rockland County. It includes such neighborhoods as Riverdale, Woodlawn, Norwood and Wakefield in the Bronx, Mount Vernon and parts of Yonkersin Westchester, and the towns of Ramapo, Orangetown, and the southern half of Clarkstown in Rockland County.
Early life and career
Engel was born in
The Bronxand he graduated from Hunter-Lehman College. He received his Masters Degree in 1973 from Herbert H. Lehman College (CUNY) and his Law Degree from New York Law Schoolin 1987. Engel was elected to the New York general assembly as a Democrat in 1977.
He is married to Patricia Ennis Engel. They have three children, Julia, Jonathan and Philip.
Election to Congress
In 1988, Engel was elected to the House of Representatives, after defeating Congressman
Mario Biaggiin the Democratic primary. Biaggi had been charged with racketeeringin the Wedtech scandal; he was eventually jailed by Rudolph W. Giuliani. Biaggi ran against and lost to Engel in 1992.
Engel ran for, and won, re-election in 2006 for his tenth term.
Engel is a supporter of recognizing
Jerusalemas the capital of Israeland has also been an advocate for the causes of Albanian-Americans and ethnic Albanians in Kosovo. In 2003, he authored the Syria Accountability and Lebanese Sovereignty Restoration Act, which was signed into law by President Bush on December 12, 2003. [http://www.congress.gov/cgi-bin/query/F?c108:6:./temp/~c108K7fnhG:e796:] In this Law, Congress authorized penalties and restrictions on US relations with Syriafor its occupation of Lebanonand for its relationship with terrorist groups.
Eliot Engel is a member of the
New Democrat Coalitionand the Democratic Leadership Council.
Engel received an "A" on the
Drum Major Institute's 2005 [http://www.drummajorinstitute.com/congress/drum-major-voting-summary.php?name=Engel&state=NY&database=house Congressional Scorecard] on middle-class issues.
Eliot Engel was a strong supporter of a massive military campaign against Iraq in 2002, refusing to meet with and ultimately rebuffing constituents who asked him to vote against the measure. On October 10, 2002, he was among the 81 House Democrats who voted in favor of authorizing the invasion of Iraq. As the war dragged on, his position changed. He now responds to questions about his support for the war by saying that had he known then what he now knows, he would have acted differently.
Congressman Engel has struck up an alliance the controversial
Christians United for Israel(CUFI), which was founded by the Reverend John Hageeand has spoken at their Washington-Israel Summit in 2006 and 2007. In 2008, Engel's scheduled participation at the CUFI Summit on July 22 was [http://www.riverdalepress.com/full.php?sid=4764¤t_edition=2008-06-05 questioned by members of his constiuency.] Hagee had reportedly made anti-Catholic, anti-gay, and anti-semitic remarks in his books, speeches, and sermons that upset some voters in Engel's congressional district.
Since his election to Congress in 1988 Engel has faced a series of contentious primary challenges from within the Democratic Party. In 2000, Engel defeated a high-profile challenge from then Bronx State Senator
Larry Seabrook, who had received the support of Bronx County Democratic Party Chairman Roberto Ramirez, among others.
In 2006, Engel faced a primary challenge from Jessica Flagg, who based her campaign on the opposition to the
Iraq War, and criticism of Engel's refusal to publicly support an immediate withdrawal of American forces from Iraq. In a previous challenge to Engel in 2004, Flagg got 11% of the Democratic primary vote. In her 2006 run she got 18 percent.
Engel drew criticismcite news | url=http://www.riverdalepress.com/full.php?sid=4764¤t_edition=2008-06-05 | title=Engel taking heat| publisher=The Riverdale Press | date= June 5, 2008 | accessdate = 2008-07-23] for choosing to attend a July 2008 event hosted by the controversial pastor
John Hagee, who has suggested that God sent Hitlerto bring the Jews to Israel.cite news | url=http://thejewishweek.com/viewArticle/c41_a13013/News/Short_Takes.html | title=Lieberman: Hagee Still Like Moses| publisher= The Jewish Week| date= July 23, 2008 | first=James| last=Besser| accessdate = 2008-07-23]
*Energy and Commerce Committee
**Subcommittee on Health
**Subcommittee on Telecommunications and the Internet
*Foreign Affairs Committee
**Subcommittee on Europe
**Subcommittee on the Middle East and South Asia
**Subcommitte on the Western Hemisphere (Chairman)
*Vice Chair of the Democratic Task Force on Homeland Security
*Founder and Co-Chair of the House Oil and National Security Caucus
* [http://engel.house.gov/ U.S. Congressman Eliot Engel] official House site
* [http://herndon1.sdrdc.com/cgi-bin/can_detail/H8NY19058 Federal Election Commission — Eliot Engel] campaign finance reports and data
* [http://www.nndb.com/people/495/000037384/ Biographical Information: NNDB]
* [http://www.ontheissues.org/NY/Eliot_Engel.htm On the Issues — Eliot Engel] issue positions and quotes
* [http://www.opensecrets.org/politicians/summary.asp?cid=N00001003 OpenSecrets.org — Eliot L. Engel] campaign contributions
* [http://www.vote-smart.org/bio.php?can_id=H2601103 Project Vote Smart — Representative Eliot L. Engel (NY)] profile
* [http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Eliot_Engel SourceWatch Congresspedia — Eliot Engel] profile
* [http://projects.washingtonpost.com/congress/members/e000179/ Washington Post — Congress Votes Database: Eliot Engel] voting record
* [http://www.opencongress.org/people/show/400122_eliot_engel Open Congress: Eliot L. Engel]
* [http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/e/eliot_engel.html Eliot Engel Quotes]
* [http://www.bronxmall.com/norwoodnews/past/090706/news/N60907page2.html Engel’s War Record Draws Red Flagg]
* [http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060906/NEWS03/609060318/1019/NEWS03 Congressional incumbent Engel and challenger Flagg clash over Engel's record]
* [http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F50F12FF3F5F0C718DDDAC0894D8404482&n=Top%2fReference%2fTimes%20Topics%2fPeople%2fE%2fEngel%2c%20Eliot%20L%2e State Senator Will Challenge Congressman]
* [http://www.riverdalepress.com/full.php?sid=4764¤t_edition=2008-06-05 Engel taking heat]
* [http://www.huffingtonpost.com/max-blumenthal/pastor-hagee-the-antichri_b_104608.html Pastor Hagee: The Antichrist Is Gay, "Partially Jewish, As Was Adolph Hitler" (Paging Joe Lieberman!)]
* [http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/5/28/22318/5001 Lieberman Lite: Eliot Engel's alliance with Rev. Hagee]
* [http://www.talk2action.org/story/2008/6/6/144931/8841 Bipartisan Pandering to John Hagee and the Religious Right]
* [http://www.politico.com/blogs/thecrypt/0508/Lieberman_to_share_stage_with_Hagee.html Lieberman to share the stage with Hagee]
* [http://www.the504democraticclub.org/questionnaire_2008_congressional_engel.html 504 Democratic Club — Eliot L. Engel] 2008 congressional screening questionnaire response
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Eliot Engel — Eliot Lance Engel (* 18. Februar 1947 in New York City) ist ein US amerikanischer Politiker der Demokratischen Partei und seit 1989 Mitglied des Repräsentantenhauses der Vereinigten Staaten für den Bundesstaat … Deutsch Wikipedia
Engel (Familienname) — Engel ist ein Familienname. Herkunft und Bedeutung Der Familienname Engel entstand durch patronymische oder metronymische Namensbildung von Vornamen, die mit Engel beginnen, zum Beispiel Engelbert oder Engelhard; aus Hausnamen wie Hans zum Engel… … Deutsch Wikipedia
ENGEL, ELIOT L — ENGEL, ELIOT L. (1947– ), U.S. congressman. Engel was born and raised in New York. His family lived in a third floor Bronx tenement and around the time of his bar mitzvah moved to middle class public housing. During the summers of his teenage… … Encyclopedia of Judaism
Protocole Harkin-Engel — Protocole sur la culture et le traitement des fèves de cacao Le protocole Harkin Engel ou le protocole sur la culture et le traitement des fèves de cacao et de leurs produits dérivés conforme à la Convention 182 de l Organisation international du … Wikipédia en Français
New York's 17th congressional district — NY 17 redirects here. NY 17 may also refer to New York State Route 17. New York s 17th congressional district Current Representative … Wikipedia
Mario Biaggi — Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from New York s 24th (1968 1973), 10th (1973 1983), and 19th (1983 1988) district In office 3 January 1969–5 August 1988 P … Wikipedia
United States congressional delegations from New York — These are tables of congressional delegations from New York to the United States Senate and United States House of Representatives. Over the years, New York has demographically changed so that it is hard to consider each district to be a… … Wikipedia
New York's congressional districts — since 2003 The US State of New York comprises 29 Congressional Districts. Each district has one Representative. The state was last redistricted in 2003, following the 2000 Census. The number of … Wikipedia
The Israel Lobby and U.S. Foreign Policy — infobox Book | name = The Israel Lobby and U.S. Foreign Policy orig title = translator = author = John Mearsheimer and Stephen Walt cover artist = country = United States language = English series = classification = Non fiction genre = Politics… … Wikipedia
Jerrold Nadler — Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from New York s 8th district 17th district (1992–1993) In … Wikipedia