- Outpost (film)
Directed by Steve Barker Produced by Arabella Croft
Written by Rae Brunton Starring Ray Stevenson
Brett Fancy and Johnny Meres.
Music by James Seymour Brett Cinematography Gavin Struthers Editing by Alastair Reid Distributed by ContentFilm Release date(s) United States:
11 March 2008
16 May 2008
Running time 90 min. Country United Kingdom Language English
Outpost is a 2008 British horror film.
In a seedy bar in a town ravaged by war, scientist and businessman Hunt (Julian Wadham) hires mercenary and former Royal Marine D.C. (Ray Stevenson) to assemble a crack team of ex-soldiers (Richard Brake, Paul Blair, Enoch Frost, Julian Rivett, and Michael Smiley) to protect him on a dangerous journey into no-man's land. Their mission is to scope out an old military bunker in Eastern Europe. It should be easy – 48 hours at the most. Lots of cash for little risk. Or so he says...
Once at the outpost, the men make a horrific discovery that turns their mission on its head – the scene of a bloody and gruesome series of experiments, carried out by the SS, in reality shifting and reanimation during World War II to create invincible soldiers. (See Die Glocke) Amidst the carnage, they find a survivor (Johnny Meres).
At night, the clearing around the bunker is suddenly lit up, and silhouettes of people are seen amongst the light. Soon after, a member of their team called Tak goes missing and is gruesomely killed by an unseen foe. Later the same night Voyteche is killed by two Nazis. The next morning his and Tak's dead bodies are found linked together by the head, and Tak's containing a spent round in his skull. D.C. receives answers regarding the assignment from Hunt, which was that an un-named corporation wanted Hunt to find and recover a large generator-like device which was responsible for the SS's reality-shifting experiments. D.C. orders Cotter to retrieve Hunt from the generator room. However, while trying to convince Hunt to come with him, an SS soldier with a pickaxe kills Cotter. It is revealed that the survivor the mercenaries recovered was actually a surviving SS brigadier general, with Prior killing the officer, the "breather" comes back to life and MacKay speaks his last words of "You're hummin' my balls!", and is killed. The mercenaries and Hunt attempt to evacuate the outpost only to be killed by the undead German army.
A second corporate team arrives 72 hours later to carry out the same assignment, only to "find a breather" among the piles of naked corpses and face the illuminated soldiers surrounding the bunker, presumably leaving them to be met with a similar fate to that of the first team shortly before the credits roll.
- Ray Stevenson as DC (nicknamed John by Taktarov)- British Royal Marine Warrant Officer
- Julian Wadham as Hunt
- Richard Brake as Prior - United States Marine Corps
- Paul Blair as Jordan - Scottish French Foreign Legionnaire
- Brett Fancy as Taktarov - Russian Alpha Group
- Enoch Frost as Cotter - Belgian Peacekeeper
- Julian Rivett as Voyteche - Yugoslav military
- Michael Smiley as McKay/Mac - IRA Guerilla/British Paratrooper
- Johnny Meres as The Breather (Brigadeführer)
The film was produced by Scottish couple Arabella Croft and Kieran Parker and their production company Black Camel Pictures. They mortgaged their Glasgow home in order to raise £200,000 to finance production. The script is by Rae Brunton, based on Parker's original concept, which he described as "Platoon meets The Sixth Sense".
Although set in Eastern Europe, filming was done in a munitions factory in Dalbeattie, in a forest near Castle Douglas, and in the Glasgow Film City studio complex in the Govan area of Glasgow. Filming began in January 2007.
Sony Pictures bought distribution rights to the film for £1.2 million. Sony released it directly to DVD in the USA on March 11, 2008. Following favourable reviews, the film was exhibited theatrically across Europe. The film's European premiere was at a gala showing as part of the Dumfries Film Festival  on the 3rd of May 2008, followed by limited distribution to 130 UK cinemas.
- ^ a b c d "Govan zombies taste film success", BBC News website, 16 April 2008
- ^ Document : Film Premiere Comes to Dumfries, Dumfries and Galloway council website, 16th April 2008
- ^ "May programme", Robert Burns Centre Film Theatre website
- ^ a b "ContentFilm picks up horror sequel Outpost II", ScreenDaily website, 19 May 2009
- ^ "Brit Zombie Film Outpost Gets a Sequel". ESplatter.com. May 16, 2009. http://www.esplatter.com/news.php?id=1292. Retrieved 25 August 2009.
- ^ "Outpost II: Black Sun Begins Casting". Bloody Disgusting. August 18, 2009. http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/17120. Retrieved 25 August 2009.
- ^ Outpost II: Black Sun Artwork and Stills
- Vertigo Films
- 'Behind The Scenes' Featurette
- Press Release
- Outpost at the Internet Movie Database
- Black Camel Pictures
- Govan zombies taste film success - BBC News, 16 April 2008
- Horror film premiere on horizon - BBC News, 16 April 2008
- Gavin Struthers Director Of Photography
- James Seymour Brett Official Website
- Outpost (movie official page) on Facebook
- Outpost 2: Black Sun (movie official page) on Facebook
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Outpost — may refer to: Places: Outpost (military) Outpost (civilian) Outpost (Border) Outpost (human) Outpost Estates, Los Angeles, California, a canyon neighborhood Outpost Islands, Nunavut, Canada In entertainment: Outpost (1981 computer game), an… … Wikipedia
Outpost — Título Outpost Ficha técnica Dirección Steve Barker Producción Arabella Croft Kieran Parker Guion … Wikipedia Español
Outpost — Données clés Titre original Outpost Réalisation Steve Barker Scénario Rae Brunton Acteurs principaux Ray Stevenson Julian Wadham Richard Brake Paul Blair Brett Fancy Pays … Wikipédia en Français
Outpost in Morocco — Original film poster Directed by Robert Florey Produced by … Wikipedia
Outpost II: Black Sun — Données clés Titre original Outpost II: Black Sun Réalisation Steve Barker Scénario Rae Brunton Steve Barker Acteurs principaux Julian Wadham Johnny Meres Pays d’origine … Wikipédia en Français
Outpost Gallifrey — Commercial? No Type of site Fan site Registration Free Owner Shaun Lyon … Wikipedia
Outpost — Filmdaten Deutscher Titel Outpost – Zum Kämpfen geboren Originaltitel Outpost … Deutsch Wikipedia
Outpost - Zum Kämpfen geboren — Filmdaten Deutscher Titel: Outpost – Zum Kämpfen geboren Originaltitel: Outpost Produktionsland: Großbritannien Erscheinungsjahr: 2008 Länge: 86 Minuten Originalsprache: Englisch … Deutsch Wikipedia
Outpost – Zum Kämpfen geboren — Filmdaten Deutscher Titel: Outpost – Zum Kämpfen geboren Originaltitel: Outpost Produktionsland: Großbritannien Erscheinungsjahr: 2008 Länge: 86 Minuten Originalsprache: Englisch … Deutsch Wikipedia
Film d'horreur — Le film d horreur, ou film d épouvante, est un genre cinématographique dont l objectif est de créer un sentiment de peur et d angoisse chez le spectateur. Parmi les films d horreur les plus connus, il est possible de citer : Frankenstein de… … Wikipédia en Français