- Lawyer referral service
A lawyer referral service is typically offered by state and local
bar associationsas a public service. The purpose of a lawyer referral service is to increase access to justice by referring members of the general public to lawyersin private practice or to legal aidorganizations or agencies.
A potential client who contacts a lawyer referral service is directed to a lawyer who practices in the area of law that is most appropriate for their situation. If a client is unable to afford a lawyer and the legal problem is not a matter that can be handled by a lawyer on a percentage fee basis, the client is directed to a legal aid organization for help.
Generally, a lawyer referral service sets minimum qualification standards for lawyers who list with the service to receive referrals. Referral service administrators use a rotation method to ensure that all lawyers have a fair chance of receiving referrals. The initial cost to the potential client is usually modest. In many cases, there is a maximum fee set by the bar association for the initial consultation with the lawyer.
Referral services refer to lawyers in most areas of law, including but not limited to criminal law, family law, real estate law, personal injury, estate planning and administration, employment law and insurance law.
* [http://www.1000attorneys.com/ 1000Attorneys.com California Bar Certified Lawyer Referral Service] - This site provides unbiased lawyer referrals in various areas of the law.
* [http://www.mainebar.org/lawyer_need.asp/ Maine State Bar Association Lawyer Referral & Information Service] - This site provides referrals to qualified attorneys in all areas of legal practice in the state of Maine.
* [http://www.bostonbar.org/lrs/ Boston Bar Association Lawyer Referral Service] - Provides access to qualified attorneys in all areas of legal practice throughout Massachusetts.
* [http://www.abanet.org/legalservices/lris/directory/ ABA Lawyer Referral Directory] The
American Bar Associationcompiled this national directory of lawyer referral services. Includes links to lawyer referral service websites.
* [http://www.philadelphiabarlawyers.com Philadelphia Bar Association Lawyer Referral and Information Service] - Operated by the Philadelphia Bar Association. The site provides referrals to qualified attorneys in all areas of legal practice in the Philadelphia area.
* [http://www.austinlrs.com/ Lawyer Referral Service of Central Texas] - A non-profit public service organization that refers about 12,000 callers to qualified Central Texas attorneys each year.
* [http://www.southbaybar.org/v1/lawyer-referral-service.aspx?s=find-a-lawyer Lawyer Referral Service of the South Bay Bar Association] - Provides access to qualified attorneys in all areas of legal practice in the South Bay Area of Los Angeles, California.
* [http://www.nycla.org/index.cfm?section=pro_bono&page=Legal_Referral New York County Lawyers Association] - Provides access to pro bono (free) initial consultations in New York State
* [http://www.legal500.com/index.php Legal 500] - a worldwide resource advertising lawyers with various specialisms
* [http://www.representyou.com RepresentYou.com] - a "for-profit" lawyer referral service (California only)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Law broker — In Australia and New Zealand, a law broker is a professional that assists individuals who are searching for a lawyer. A law broker will analyze an individual s case or legal issue and provide a customized referral to an appropriate lawyer. Some… … Wikipedia
Legal Aid Ontario — (LAO) Agency overview Formed 1998 Preceding agency Ontario Legal Aid Plan (OLAP) Jurisdiction On … Wikipedia
Florida Bar v. Went For It, Inc. — Infobox SCOTUS case Litigants=Florida Bar v. Went For It, Inc. ArgueDate=January 11 ArgueYear=1995 DecideDate=June 21 DecideYear=1995 FullName=Florida Bar v. Went For It, Inc. USVol=515 USPage=618 Citation= Prior=Declaratory judgment in favor of… … Wikipedia
State Bar of Michigan — The State Bar of Michigan is an organization of lawyers in the State of Michigan. Membership is mandatory for attorneys who practice law in the state. The Michigan Legislature established the State Bar of Michigan in 1935 and the organization… … Wikipedia
Miranda warning — The Miranda warning (also referred to as Miranda rights) is a warning that is required to be given by police in the United States to criminal suspects in police custody (or in a custodial interrogation) before they are interrogated to inform them … Wikipedia
LRS — Levi, Ray & Shoup, Inc. (Business » Firms) ** Lawyer Referral Service (Community » Law) ** Lawyer Referral Service (Community) * Long Range Surveillance (Community » Law) * Linear Referencing System (Governmental » Transportation) * Library… … Abbreviations dictionary
Bar association — A bar association is a professional body of lawyers. Some bar associations are responsible for the regulation of the legal profession in their jurisdiction; others are professional organizations dedicated to serving their members; in many cases,… … Wikipedia
Loyola Law School — Infobox Law School name = Loyola Marymount University established = 1911, (1865) type = Private, Roman Catholic endowment = parent endowment = $378.8 million (as of June 30, 2007) head = Victor J. Gold city = Los Angeles state = California… … Wikipedia
New York City Bar Association — Formation 1870 Type Legal Society Headquarters New York, NY Location United States President … Wikipedia
Bar Association of San Francisco — Introduction = The Bar Association of San Francisco (BASF) was established in 1872 as a nonprofit legal membership organization that provides San Francisco legal professionals with networking, educational and pro bono opportunities in order to… … Wikipedia