- Under Armour
Under Armour Type Public Traded as NYSE: UA Founded 1996 Headquarters Baltimore, Maryland Area served Worldwide Key people Kevin Plank (Founder/CEO) Products Clothing, Footwear,
Revenue US$856 million (FY 2009) Operating income US$85.3 million (FY 2009) Net income US$46.8 million (FY 2009) Total assets US$546 million (FY 2009) Total equity US$400 million (FY 2009) Employees 2200 (2008) Website www.underarmour.com
Under Armour is an American sports clothing and accessories company. The company is a supplier of a wide range of sportswear and casual apparel mainly focusing on hi-tech sportswear for professional athletes. Under Armour began offering footwear in 2006.
The company was founded on January 26, 1996 by Kevin Plank, a former University of Maryland special teams captain for the university football team. Plank and co-founder Jordan Lindgren, also a former University of Maryland Football player, began their business from Plank's grandmother's basement in Washington, DC.
Plank, who got tired of having to change out of the sweat-soaked T-shirts he wore under his jersey, noticed that his compression shorts stayed dry. This was the inspiration to make a T-shirt using moisture-wicking fabric for athletic performance.
By 1996, Under Armour had generated $17,000 in revenue purely by word of mouth. In 1997, Plank had $100,000 in orders to fill and found a factory in Ohio to make the shirts. People began to take notice of the brand when a front page photo of USA Today featured Oakland Raiders quarterback Jeff George wearing an Under Armour mock turtleneck. Following that front page, Under Armour's first major sale came when an equipment manager from Georgia Tech asked Plank for 10 shirts. The deal with Georgia Tech opened the door to a contract with N.C. State. With positive reviews from players, word began to spread and orders began to increase. Under Armour first made a profit in 1998 and received its first big break in the 1999 Oliver Stone movie Any Given Sunday, in which Willie Beamen, played by Jamie Foxx, wore an Under Armour jockstrap. Plank sent samples of his products to the costume designer. Leveraging the release of Any Given Sunday, Plank purchased an ad in ESPN The Magazine. The ad generated close to $750,000 in sales, and 9 years after starting the company, Plank finally put himself on the payroll.
Under Armour's global headquarters is located in Baltimore, Maryland. Its European headquarters is located in Amsterdam's Olympic Stadium; additional offices are located in Denver, Hong Kong, Toronto, and Guangzhou.
In late 2007, Under Armour opened its first retail location, at the Westfield Annapolis mall in Annapolis, Maryland. In May 2008, Under Armour also opened a larger 6,000-square-foot (560 m2) store at Westfield Fox Valley in Aurora, Illinois. Under Armour has opened several other stores in 2008. Under Armour recently opened their first store outside of North America. This is located in Edinburgh, Scotland, and is run and owned by First XV, the rugby store situated next door.
Teams and athletes that currently wear uniforms manufactured by Under Armour are:
- Rick Nash
- Tyler Seguin
- Calgary Dinos
- Western Ontario Mustangs
- Kean University
- Auburn Tigers
- Boston College Eagles
- Eastern University Eagles
- Gardner-Webb Runnin' Bulldogs
- Hawaii Warriors
- Maryland Terrapins+
- McNeese State Cowboys
- Template:Flagicon USA Wagner University
- Minot State Beavers
- North Texas Mean Green
- South Carolina Gamecocks
- South Florida Bulls
- Southern Illinois Salukis
- Temple Owls
- Texas Tech Red Raiders
- (+) Maryland is Under Armour's flagship athletic program.
On April 22, 2009, baseball Hall of Famer Cal Ripken Jr. formed an alliance under which the performance apparel, footwear, and equipment company would have significant presence at several venues and events under the auspices of Ripken Baseball, including providing uniforms for the minor league Aberdeen IronBirds and youth teams participating in the Cal Ripken World Series this summer.
On April 29, 2009, the United States Consumer Products Safety Commission announced a voluntary recall of all Under Armour brand athletic cups. The cups, which were manufactured in China, may break when hit, posing a risk of serious injury. They were sold from January 2006 through March 2009.
- 2008 Billie Award in Breakthrough and Innovation for Boom Boom Tap 
- ^ a b c Under Armour (UA) annual SEC income statement filing via Wikinvest
- ^ a b Under Armour (UA) annual SEC balance sheet filing via Wikinvest
- ^ Barnett, Gigi (2008-05-04). "New Under Armour Product Revealed". WJZ 13 Baltimore. http://wjz.com/local/under.armour.2.715301.html.
- ^ Terry, Robert J. (2005-09-23). "Baltimore Business Journal". Bizjournals.com. http://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore/stories/2005/09/26/story6.html. Retrieved 2010-04-19.
- ^ "2008 Annual Report (page 2)". Under Armour. February 20, 2009. http://investor.underarmour.com/secfiling.cfm?filingID=1193125-09-33942. Retrieved 2009-06-10.
- ^ Salter, Chuck (2007-12-09). "Protect This House". Fast Company. http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/97/under-armour.html. Retrieved 2009-10-29.
- ^ Spurs announce £50million kit deal, 2010-03-09
- ^ "New Under Armour Maryland Boston college basketball uniforms". Dime Mag. October 2010. http://dimemag.com/2010/10/new-under-armour-maryland-boston-college-basketball-uniforms/.
- ^ "Under Armour Recalls Athletic Cups Due To Injury Hazard". Under Armour. 2009-04-29. http://www.underarmour.com/productsafety/pdf/AboutTheRecall_US.pdf. Retrieved 2009-10-29.
- ^ "Women's Sports Foundation Hosted The Billies, Recognizing Media Excellence in Women's Sports and Physical Activity". prnewswire.com. 2008-04-16. http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/04-16-2008/0004794480&EDATE=. Retrieved 2008-04-16.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Under Armour — Inc. Rechtsform Aktiengesellschaft Gründung 1996 Sitz Baltimore, Maryland Leitung Kevin Plank (Gründer/Präsident/CEO) Umsatz … Deutsch Wikipedia
Under Armour — es una empresa de ropa deportiva y calzado deportivo, con sede en los Estados Unidos. Fue fundada el 29 de enero 1990 por Kevin Plank. Under Armour se caracteriza por la producción de ropa ajustada, diseñada especialmente para utilizarse debajo… … Wikipedia Español
Under Armour — Logo de Under Armour Création 1996 Fondateurs Kevin Plank Personnages clés … Wikipédia en Français
Under Armour Undeniable Performance ESPY Award — The Under Armour Undeniable Performance ESPY Award has been conferred annually since 2006 on the player, irrespective of gender or nationality, adjudged to have made, in a given calendar year, the most significant, remarkable, and performance in… … Wikipedia
Armour and Company — was an American slaughterhouse and meatpacking company founded in Chicago, Illinois, in 1867 by the Armour brothers, led by Philip Danforth Armour. By 1880, the company was Chicago s most important business and helped make the city and its Union… … Wikipedia
Armour of God (film) — Armour of God Hong Kong film poster Traditional 龍兄虎弟 Simplified … Wikipedia
Armour of God II: Operation Condor — Hong Kong film poster Traditional 飛鷹計劃 … Wikipedia
Armour — (or armor) is protective covering, most commonly manufactured from metals, to prevent damage from being inflicted to an individual or a vehicle through use of direct contact weapons or projectiles, usually during combat. While early armour tended … Wikipedia
Armour Thyroid — (thyroid tablets, USP) is a product derived from porcine thyroid glands. Each grain contains 38 micrograms of levothyroxine (T4) and 9 micrograms of liothyronine (t3). Inactive ingredients are calcium stearate, dextrose, microcrystalline… … Wikipedia
Armour, South Dakota — Infobox Settlement official name = Armour, South Dakota other name = native name = nickname = settlement type = City motto = imagesize = image caption = flag size = image seal size = image shield = shield size = image blank emblem = blank emblem… … Wikipedia