- Secondary suite
Secondary suite is an urban planning term for an additional separate dwelling unit on a property that would normally accommodate only one dwelling unit. A secondary suite is considered "secondary" or "accessory" to the primary residence on the parcel. It normally has its own entrance, kitchen, bathroom and living area. Such a suite often is one of the following types:
- A suite above a rear detached garage,
- A suite above the main floor of a single-detached dwelling,
- A suite below the main floor of a single-detached dwelling (a "basement suite").
- A suite attached to a single-detached dwelling at grade, or
- A suite detached from the principal dwelling (a "garden suite" or "guesthouse").
In many municipalities, secondary suites are illegal because they do not conform to the zoning or land use district the property is in, they have been developed without the proper permits, or they do not meet the local building code. However, some localities only prohibit the renting out of secondary suites, and allow occupation by a relative or guest, leading to the use of the term "mother-in-law" house or apartment. Local jurisdictions may have rules regarding allowing certain relatives to live there and rules about what, if any, rent may be charged.
Secondary suites can also be called accessory suites.
In Honolulu, Hawaii, they are called "Ohana Dwelling Units" or "Ohana Housing". Ohana Dwellings in Hawaii were created in 1981 as a way to encourage the private sector to create more housing units (without government subsidy), preserve green fields (open space) and ease housing affordability.
A mother-in-law house is a form of guest accommodation that may be either completely detached (a guesthouse) or attached to a primary residence. An attached mother-in-law house often involves some spaces shared in common with an attached primary dwelling. It may, for instance, have a separate bedroom, bathroom, and kitchen, while sharing a living room and laundry facilities.
Mother-in-Law houses are sometimes abbreviated as MIL in internet or newspaper listings.
A mother-in-law apartment is a small apartment accessory to a primary residence. Alternative names include "granny flat", "granny suite","in-law suite", and "accessory apartment", the first being used primarily in Australia and Britain, where it is the most familiar of these terms, but also in parts of the United States. Such apartments are frequently used to accommodate an elderly relative who is not capable of living on their own, but is not ready for a nursing home environment or other similar facility.
The apartment may or may not have a communicating door to the main house, but virtually always has a separate entrance and is usually not part of the original design. Many are located above the garage of the main house or as a separate building in the rear yard.
The Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation provides a financial assistance program to help Canadians create affordable housing for low-income seniors and adults with a disability within a secondary suite. The program is called the Residential Rehabilitation Assistance Program (RRAP) -- Secondary/Garden Suite. The maximum fully forgivable loan depends on the location of the property:
- Southern Areas of Canada: $24,000/unit
- Northern areas of Canada: $28,000/unit
- Far northern areas: $36,000/unit
A 25% supplement in assistance is available in remote areas.
The Housing Policy Branch of British Columbia's Ministry of Community, Aboriginal and Women’s Services published a guide for local governments to implement secondary suite programs called 'Secondary Suites: A Guide For Local Governments'. The current issue is dated September 2005. The intent of the guide is to "help local governments develop and implement secondary suite programs". It also highlights good secondary suite practices as well as providing practical information to "elected officials, planners, community groups, homeowners, developers, and others interested in secondary suites". It states its objectives as follows:
- Identify the benefits of secondary suites as a form of affordable housing, and encourage legalization of suites;
- Identify the challenges and issues associated with secondary suites;
- Highlight strategies local governments can use to design and implement secondary suite programs.
In Norway, particularly in the bigger cities, it is quite common to build separate adjoined smaller flats for renting out. The owner of the main flat will rent out the smaller adjoined flats.
- West Coast Environmental Law: Urban Growth and Development, Secondary Suites
- Tenants Rights Action Coalition: Secondary Suites, A Tenant Survey
- Accessory Dwelling Units in Arvada, Colorado. (video)
- Garage apartment
- Rooftop housing
- ^ City and County of Honolulu. "Revised Ordinances of Honolulu, (ROH) Section 21-8.20". Land use Ordinance. http://www1.honolulu.gov/council/ocs/roh/21990.pdf. Retrieved 15 August 2011.
- ^ "Ohana Housing Program Evaluation". Honolulu: Office of Information and Complaint, Sept. 1984.. http://www.docstoc.com/docs/41153350/Ohana-Housing-A-Program-Evaluation. Retrieved 15 August 2011.
- ^ Lau, Questor. "Accessory dwelling units (ADU's) as a way to achieve affordable housing in Hawaii.". Honolulu, 2010. http://lrb.oahu.net/cgi-bin/libraryquery?offset=1&searchfile=LRBAAAWeayyD&searchfile=LRBAAAJaaOcD&lib=LRB&lib=SCLL&lib=MRRC&Terms=1&FormTerm-1=ohana+housing&form_field-1=0&form_method-1=all&apply=Search+Card&maxHits=100. Retrieved 15 August 2011.
- ^ "Ohana Zoning a 5 year review". State of Hawaii Legislative Reference Bureau. http://lrbhawaii.info/lrbrpts/88/88ohana.pdf. Retrieved 15 August 2011.
- ^ "Maui County Zoning Code, Section 19.35". http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=16289&stateId=11&stateName=Hawaii. Retrieved 15 August 2011.
- ^ "City of Santa Cruz Accessory Dwelling Unit Program". http://www.cityofsantacruz.com/index.aspx?page=1150. Retrieved 15 August 2011.
- ^ Planning & Land Management, Territory Planning Branch (2002). "Dual Occupancy Review". http://www.actpla.act.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0011/2162/dualreview2002.pdf. Retrieved August 21, 2008
- ^ Residential Rehabilitation Assistance Program (RRAP) -- Secondary/Garden Suite
- ^ http://www.housing.gov.bc.ca/housing/docs/web_secondary_suites.pdf
Rooms, spaces, and architectural elements Public areas Passages and spaces Utility and storage
- Box room / Carport
- Electrical room
- Equipment room
- Furnace room / Boiler room
- Janitorial closet
- Laundry room / Utility room
- Mechanical room / floor
- Root cellar
- Server room
- Wine cellar
- Wiring closet / Demarcation point
Shared residential rooms Private rooms Great house areas Other areas Architectural elements Related terms
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Guest house (secondary suite) — A guest house is a private home which has been converted for the exclusive use of guest accommodation. The owner usually lives in an entirely separate area within the property and the guest house may serve as a form of lodging business, similar… … Wikipedia
Secondary suites in Canada — Some Canadian municipalities permit secondary suites, while others do not.Canadian Municipalities Permitting Secondary SuitesCoquitlam, B.C.The City of Coquitlam B.C. permits secondary suites. It is limited in size to 40% of the total floor area… … Wikipedia
Suite (disambiguation) — A suite (French for sequence ) is a set of musical pieces considered as one composition.Suite may also refer to: *Suite (hotel), a type of hotel room *Suite (address), a kind of address or location in an office building, shopping mall, etc.… … Wikipedia
Secondary education in the Borough of Halton — is provided by eight secondary schools and one further education college, Riverside College. Four of the secondary schools are in Widnes and four are in Runcorn. The college works from three campuses, two in Widnes and one in Runcorn. The… … Wikipedia
Secondary structure prediction — is a set of techniques in bioinformatics that aim to predict the local secondary structures of proteins and RNA sequences based only on knowledge of their primary structure amino acid or nucleotide sequence, respectively. For proteins, a… … Wikipedia
Suite Smells of Excess — Infobox Television episode Title = Suite Smells of Excess Series = King of the Hill Caption = The guys hiding in the sky box. Season = 12 Episode = 1 Airdate = September 23, 2007 Production = CABE01 Writer = Dave Schiff Director = Michael Loya… … Wikipedia
Cleveden Secondary School — Main Entrance Type Secondary School Religion Non denominational Acting Headteacher … Wikipedia
Hillpark Secondary School — Infobox School2 | name = Hillpark Secondary School motto = Integer Vitae address = 36 Cairngorm Road Glasgow, G43, Scotland established = 1967| type = State Funded head name = Head Teacher head = Joan Donnely enrolment = 1300 mascot = None free… … Wikipedia
Knightswood Secondary School — Coordinates: 55°53′22.4304″N 4°20′17.628″W / 55.889564°N 4.33823°W / 55.889564; 4.33823 … Wikipedia
Northview Heights Secondary School — Address 550 Finch Ave. W T … Wikipedia