- Norman Franks
He published his first book in 1976. He was an Organisation and Methods Officer with the Nationwide Building Society in London before he retired. He now lives in Bexhill-on-Sea, East Sussex, with his wife Heather. They have two sons, Rob and Mike, and five grandchildren.
He was a consultant for the Channel 4 television series Dogfight: The Mystery of the Red Baron. His 1995 book on the Red Baron has been published and reissued by three publishers. He is also one of the founding members of the Cross and Cockade society for World War I aviation historians, which was formed in 1970, and a member of Over the Front, the league of World War I aviation historians.
In total he has authored 120 books covering military aviation, with several others in the pipeline as at August 2009.
- Franks, Norman. Double Mission: Fighter Pilot and SOE Agent, Manfred Czernin (1976, William Kimber, London) ISBN 0 7183 02540
- Franks, Norman. Fighter Leader: The Story of Wing Commander Ian Gleed, DSO, DFC (1978, William Kimber, London) ISBN 0 7183 01064
- Franks, Norman. The Greatest Air Battle: Dieppe, 19 August 1942 (1979, William Kimber, London) ISBN 0 7183 0396 2
- Franks, Norman. Wings of Freedom:Twelve Battle of Britain Pilots (1980, William Kimber, London) ISBN 0 7183 0197 8
- Franks, Norman. Sky Tiger: The Story of Sailor Malan (1980, William Kimber, London) ISBN 0 7183 0487 X
- Franks, Norman. The Battle of the Airfields: 1 January 1945 (1982 & 2002, Grub Street, London) ISBN 0718304489 & ISBN 190230442X [Operation Bodenplatte]
- Franks, Norman. The Air Battle of Dunkirk (1983, William Kimber, London) ISBN 0 7183 0349 0
- Franks, Norman and Shedda, C. J. Tempest Pilot (1983 & 2003, Grub Street, London) ISBN 1904010385
- Franks, Norman. Typhoon Attack (1984, William Kimber, London) ISBN 0718305132
- Franks, Norman. Aircraft versus Aircraft: The illustrated story of fighter pilot combat since 1914 (1986). Grub Street (ISBN 0593010213). 192 pages.
- Franks, Norman; Forever strong: The story of 75 Squadron RNZAF, 1916-1990 (1991) Random Century ISBN 978-1869411022
- Franks, Norman; Bailey, Frank. Over the Front: A Complete Record of the Fighter Aces and Units of the United States and French Air Services, 1914-1918 (1992). Casemate Pub (ISBN 0948817542)
- Franks, Norman; Giblin, Hal; and McCrery, Nigel. Under the Guns of the Red Baron - The Complete Record of Von Richthofen's Victories and Victims Fully Illustrated (1995 & 2007, Grub Street, London) ISBN 1904943977 (1998 & 1999, Barnes & Noble, USA) (ISBN 0760712093) (2000, Caxton, London). 224 pages.
- Franks, Norman; Guest, Russell; Bailey, Frank. Bloody April… Black September (1995). Grub Street (ISBN 1898697086). 314 pages [The two deadliest months for Allied airmen in WW I, April 1917 & September 1918].
- Franks, Norman; Guest, Russell; and Alegi, Gregory. Above the War Fronts: The British Two-Seater Bomber Pilot and Observer Aces, the British Two-Seater Fighter Observer Aces, and the Belgian, Italian, Austro-Hungarian and Russian Fighter Aces 1914-1918 (1997). Grub Street (ISBN 1898697566). 218 pages.
- Franks, Norman; Bailey, Frank. The Storks: The Story of the Les Cigognes, France's Elite Fighter Group of WWI (1998). Grub Street (ISBN 1898697817). 160 pages.
- Franks, Norman; Bailey, Frank; Duiven, Rick. Casualties of the German Air Service 1914-20: As Complete a List as Possible Arranged Alphabetically and Chronologically (1999). Grub Street (ISBN 1902304330). 362 pages.
- Franks, Norman; Holmes, Tony. Albatros Aces of World War I (Osprey Aircraft of the Aces No 32) (2000). Motorbooks International (ISBN 1855329603). 96 pages.
- Franks, Norman. Nieuport Aces of World War I (Osprey Aircraft of the Aces No 33) (2000). Motorbooks International (ISBN 1855329611). 96 pages.
- Franks, Norman; Wyngarden, Greg Van; Holmes, Tony. Fokker Dr I Aces of World War I (Osprey Aircraft of the Aces No 40) (2001). Osprey Aviation (ISBN 1841762237). 96 pages.
- Franks, Norman; Giblin, Hal. Under the Guns of the Kaiser's Aces: Bohme, Muller, Von Tutschek, Wolff : The Complete Record of Their Victories and Victims (2003). Grub Street (ISBN 1904010024). 192 pages.
- Franks, Norman. Sopwith Camel Aces of World War 1 (Aircraft of the Aces, 52) (2003). Osprey Publishing (UK) (ISBN 1841765341). 96 pages.
- Franks, Norman; Holmes, Tony. Sopwith Triplanes Aces of World War 1 (Aircraft of the Aces, 62) (2004). Osprey Publishing (UK) (ISBN 184176728X). 96 pages.
- Franks, Norman. Jasta Boelcke: The History of Jasta 2, 1916-1918 (2004). Grub Street (ISBN 1904010768). 224 pages.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Norman Cyril Jones — Born 1890s (estimated) Died Post 1 April 1974 Allegiance England Service/branch Field Artillery, aviation … Wikipedia
FRANKS, JACOB — (1688–1769), New York City merchant and founder of a prominent mercantile family. Franks, born in London, arrived in New York in 1708 or 1709. He became a freeman of New York in 1711. A year later he married Abigail Bilhah Levy, daughter of moses … Encyclopedia of Judaism
Norman law — refers to the customary law of Normandy which developed between the 10th and 13th centuries following the establishment of the Vikings there and which survives today still through the legal systems of Jersey and Guernsey in the Channel Islands.… … Wikipedia
Norman Roberts — Born 1896 Broughton, Lancashire, England Died Unknown Allegiance England Service/branch … Wikipedia
Norman Craig Millman — Born 30 March 1890 Died 27 July 1981 Allegiance George V of the British Empire Rank Capta … Wikipedia
Norman architecture — This article is about Romanesque architecture, primarily English. For other buildings in Normandy, see Architecture of Normandy. The nave of Durham Cathedral demonstrates the characteristic round arched style, though use of shallow pointed arches … Wikipedia
Norman Schwarzkopf, Jr. — This article is about the Gulf War general. For the lead investigator in the Lindbergh kidnapping, see Norman Schwarzkopf, Sr.. H. Norman Schwarzkopf Schwarzkopf in 1988 … Wikipedia
Franks — This interesting surname is of Norman origin, introduced into England after the Conquest of 1066. Recorded in the spellings of Frank and Franks and the unusual West Country dialectals Frunks and Fronks, it is a patronymic of the Norman given name … Surnames reference
Norman-Arab-Byzantine culture — Tarì gold coin of Roger II of Sicily, with Arabic inscriptions, minted in Palermo, (British Museum) The term Norman Arab Byzantine culture, Norman Sicilian culture … Wikipedia
Frederick M. Franks, Jr. — Infobox Military Person name=Frederick M. Franks born= birth year and age|1936 died= placeofbirth= West Lawn, Pennsylvania placeofdeath= placeofburial= caption=General Frederick M. Franks nickname= allegiance= United States of America branch=… … Wikipedia