- Lewis Hubert (Harold Bell) Lasseter
Lewis Hubert Lasseter, or Lewis Harold Bell Lasseter as he later referred to himself, was born on
27 September 1880at Bamganie, Victoria, Australia. Though self-educated, he was literate and well-spoken, but commonly described as eccentric and opinionated. He traveled in both Australia and the United States and worked at a variety of occupations. He married twice and had five children. Lasseter was made famous by his sensational claim, first made in 1929, that as a young man he had discovered a fabulously rich gold reef, a proposition now known as “ Lasseter's Reef”, in central Australia. Lasseter perished in the desert near the Western Australia– Northern Territoryborder in early 1931 after he separated himself from an expedition that was mounted to rediscover the supposed reef. His body was found and buried in March 1931 by Bob Buck, a central Australian bushman and pastoralist sent to search for Lasseter, and was later re-interred in the Alice Springscemetery.
You should also read the book, "Lasseter Did Not Lie" which provides irrefutable evidence that Lasseter was no more than a con-man, having ripped off his investors in a clever scheme to convince investors that such a gold reef existed, only to take their money with him to Sanfrancisco where he later died in the late 1950s. His surviving son Bob Lasseter now agrees that his father was a fraud.
* Lasseter had said that when he was in Alice Springs the first time, around the time of discovering the gold, he had posted a letter at the post office in the middle of the town. However, at the time, the post office was not in the town, which was actually called Stuart back then, but located on the other side of the ranges some 6 kilometres away at a water hole which was called Alice Springs.
* At the time when Lasseter claimed he was first in Alice Springs, he would have been in the town when it's population was only a few hundred, and visitors came many weeks apart. Claiming he arrived with his horses and camels in tow, with only one place where he could have bought such provisions and nobody remembered him.
* Gold specimens found in pockets of body alleged to have been Lasseter were chemically analyzed and determined to have originated near Kalgoorlie, 1000's of kilometres away.
* Jimmy Nosepeg, aboriginal tracker assisted Bob Buck find the body said body was so decomposed, "could have been a black fellow (aboriginal)"
* Bob Buck, a poor laborer, died with large cash reserves.
* There were 3 separate investment companies in his gold exploration, but none of those companies knew of the existence of the other two.
* Modern technology with magnometers, geological mapping, satellite imagery, seismic testing and remote sensing show that it is geologically impossible for gold to have ever existed.formed in the areas where Lasseter claimed it was.
Other things named after Lasseter
*Lasseter’s cave, Northern Territory
Lasseter Highway, Northern Territory
*Lasseter’s Hotel Casino, Alice Springs, Northern Territory
*Lasseter. Michael Naismith's Rotweiller dog.
* [http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A090678b.htm Australian Dictionary of Biography – online version]
*LASSETERIA. The Lasseter Encyclopedia. http://www.lasseteria.com
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
См. также в других словарях:
Harold Lasseter — Lewis Hubert Lasseter oder Harold Lasseter bzw. Lewis Hubert (Harold Bell) Lasseter (* 27. September 1880 in Bamganie bei Ballarat in Australien; † 1931) war ein australischer Goldsucher und Scharlatan, der angab, dass er ein Goldvorkommen… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Lasseter — may refer to:;People * John Lasseter, chief creative officer at Pixar Animation Studios * Lewis Hubert (Harold Bell) Lasseter * Vicki Lasseter;Other * Lasseter Highway * Lasseter s Reefee also* Lassiter … Wikipedia
Lasseter Highway — La Lasseter Highway. La Lasseter Highway ( ) est une route entièrement goudronnée longue de 244 kilomètres, orientée sensiblement est ouest et située dans le sud du Territoire du Nord en Australie. Elle … Wikipédia en Français
Lasseter Highway — Infobox Australian Road road name = Lasseter Highway route route route photo = caption = length = 244 direction = West East start = Tjukaruru Road, Uluru Katatjuta National Park, Northern Territory finish = est = through = Yulara, Curtin Springs … Wikipedia
performing arts — arts or skills that require public performance, as acting, singing, or dancing. [1945 50] * * * ▪ 2009 Introduction Music Classical. The last vestiges of the Cold War seemed to thaw for a moment on Feb. 26, 2008, when the unfamiliar strains … Universalium