- Cookardinia, New South Wales
New South Wales
Population: 283 Postcode: 2650 Coordinates: Coordinates: Location: LGA: Greater Hume Shire Council County: Goulburn State District: Albury Federal Division: Farrer
The place name Cookardinia is derived from the local Aboriginal word meaning "the place of the giant kingfisher" - probably a reference to the Kookaburra and hence the phonetic similarity of the start of each word.
Only several small buildings remain, including the old 'Buckaringa' woolshed on the Cookardinia - Henty road and the Memorial Hall built in 1925.
Cookardinia Post Office opened on 1 December 1873 and closed in 1976. 
- ^ Travelmate
- ^ Australian Bureau of Statistics (9 March 2006). "1161205 (Census Collection District)". 2001 Census QuickStats. http://www.censusdata.abs.gov.au/ABSNavigation/prenav/LocationSearch?collection=Census&period=2001&areacode=1161205&producttype=QuickStats&breadcrumb=PL&action=401. Retrieved 2007-06-30. Map
- ^ Geographical Names Board
- ^ "Travel - Henty". Sydney Morning Herald. 2004-02-08. http://www.smh.com.au/news/New-South-Wales/Henty/2005/02/17/1108500193758.html. Retrieved 2007-01-04.
- ^ Mad Dog Morgan Movie (1976)
- ^ Premier Postal History. "Post Office List". https://www.premierpostal.com/cgi-bin/wsProd.sh/Viewpocdwrapper.p?SortBy=NSW&country=. Retrieved 2009-06-11.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Morven, New South Wales — Morven New South Wales Entering Village of Morven … Wikipedia
Maude, New South Wales — Maude New South Wales Post office and general store … Wikipedia
Coolamon, New South Wales — Coolamon New South Wales Coolamon seen as entering from the Wagga Wagga road … Wikipedia
Mulwala, New South Wales — Mulwala New South Wales New residential development on the shore of Lake Mulwala … Wikipedia
Oaklands, New South Wales — Oaklands New South Wales Milthorpe Street, the main street of Oaklands … Wikipedia
Oxley, New South Wales — Oxley New South Wales Entry sign … Wikipedia
Coreen, New South Wales — Coreen New South Wales The now disused Coreen Hotel … Wikipedia
Methul, New South Wales — Methul New South Wales Methul is red soil wheat country in the Riverina … Wikipedia
Conargo, New South Wales — Conargo New South Wales The famed Conargo Pub praised by the Ute Muster sub culture … Wikipedia
Coolac, New South Wales — Coolac New South Wales Coolac Hotel … Wikipedia