- Take Back the Night
Take Back the Night (also known as Reclaim the Night) is an internationally held march and rally intended as a protest and
direct actionagainst rapeand other forms of violence against women, originated by the radical feminist movement.
The term "Take Back the Night" came from the title of a
1977memorial read by Anne Prideat an anti-violence rally in Pittsburgh [ [http://research.umbc.edu/~korenman/wmst/takenite2.html http://research.umbc.edu/~korenman/wmst/takenite2.html] ] .
The first "Reclaim the Night" march was held in Belgium in March
1976by the women attending the International Tribunal on Crimes against Women. [ [http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=720761 www.everything2.com] ] They marched together holding candles to protest the ways in which violence permeates the lives of women worldwide. Other marches were held in Rome in 1976as a reaction to recently released rape statistics, in West Germanyin 1977demanding "the right to move freely in their communities at day and night without harassment and sexual assault"," and in 11 towns in Englandlater in 1977in response to the "Ripper Murders" in Leeds.
2006a special [http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/regions/cambridge/2006/12/358328.html Reclaim the Night] was organised in Ipswichas a response to the murders of five prostitutes there, with between 200 and 300 attendees. [ [http://www.eadt.co.uk/content/eadt/news/story.aspx?brand=EADOnline&category=Murders&tBrand=EADOnline&tCategory=murders&itemid=IPED29%20Dec%202006%2021%3A23%3A42%3A520 www.eadt.co.uk] ] [ [http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/regions/cambridge/2006/12/359026.html www.indymedia.org.uk] ]
The first known "Take Back the Night" march in the
United Stateswas organized in San Francisco, Californiaon November 4, 1978, by Women Against Violence in Pornography and Mediaand marched through the red-light districtof San Francisco in protest of rapeand pornography, which they identified with the sexualized subordination of women. Susan Brownmiller, a radical feminist journalist who participated in the San Francisco march, recalls,
Events typically consist of a rally followed by a march and often a speak-out or candlelight vigil on violence against women. The marches are often deliberately women-only in order to symbolize women's individual walk through darkness and to demonstrate that women united can resist fear and violence. (Other marches include men; the organization differs as each event is organized locally.) The women-only policies have caused controversy on some campuses for the way they exclude participation by men. Some activists believe strongly that all Take Back the Night Events should be open and inclusive of all genders and not segregated.
Wesleyan University in Connecticut notably allows men to participate in speaking on their own experiences with sexual assault. The event holds three speak-out circles during the course of the march, and although men are asked not to participate in speaking about their own experiences in the first circle, they are able to join in the subsequent ones. (http://www.wesleyan.edu/argus/archives/aa_archive_oct232001/dateyear/w4.html)
While the march began as a way to protest the
violencethat women experienced while walking in public at night, the purpose of these marches was to speak out against this violence and raise community awareness as a preventive measure against future violence. The movement has since grown to encompass all forms of violence against all persons, though violence against women is still the movement's main focus. The word "night" was originally meant to be taken literally to express the fear that many women feel during the night but has since changed to symbolize a fear of violence in general. This helps the movement incorporate other feminist concerns such as domestic violenceand sexual abusewithin the home. The march has grown from a widely publicized event taking place in major cities to an event happening internationally from large metropolitan areas to small college campuses, all advocating for the right of everyone to feel safe from violence.
The march has since spread to many locales, and has also inspired an international online "Take Back the Blog" event regarding sexual violence and predation in both the physical night and the world of cyberspace and blogging.
* [http://www.takebackthenight.org "Official Online Headquarters" for Take Back the Night] - Resources to assist with running TBTN events, calendar of some TBTN events.
* [http://www.columbia.edu/cu/tbtn Take Back the Night in NYC - Barnard/Columbia]
* [http://www.easf.org.uk/report.php?id=426 Take Back the Night - Ipswich, United Kingdom] - (report on response to the
2006 Ipswich murder investigation)
* [http://www.willtbtn.com Take Back the Night - Will County, Illinois]
* [http://www.jmu.edu/womensresource/TBTN.shtml Take Back the Night at James Madison University]
* [http://www.indybay.org/news/2006/05/1825722.php Take Back the Night 2006 at UC Santa Cruz]
* [http://crisis.vianet.on.ca/march.htm Take Back The Night March]
* [http://www.cavalierdaily.com/CVArticle.asp?ID=8398&pid=718 Ireland speaks at Take Back the Night rally] (discusses men getting involved in a rally at the
University of Virginia)
* [http://www.rapereliefshelter.bc.ca/herstory/rr_files85.html The Rape Relief Files: Take Back The Night - Vancouver Herstory]
* [http://www.isis.aust.com/rtn/herstory.htm Herstory of Reclaim the Night]
* [http://research.umbc.edu/~korenman/wmst/takenite1.html WMST-L: Take Back the Night, 1 of 2] (1995) and [http://research.umbc.edu/~korenman/wmst/takenite2.html 2 of 2] (1997, 2001).
* [http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/factsheets/svfacts.htm Center for Disease Control Sexual Violence Fact Sheet]
* [http://www.crablaw.com/2007/04/take-back-blog-host-page.html Take Back the Blog 2007]
* [http://takeback08.blogspot.com/ Take Back the Blog 2008]
* [http://www.reclaimthenight.org Reclaim the Night - London, UK]
* Brownmiller, Susan (1999). [http://www.susanbrownmiller.com/html/in_our_time.html "In Our Time: Memoir of a Revolution"] (ISBN 0-385-31486-8).
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
The Night Angel Trilogy — The Way of Shadows Shadow s Edge Beyond the Shadows Author Brent Weeks Cover artist Illustrator: Calvin Chu Design: Peter Cotton Country United States … Wikipedia
The Night Before Christmas (1913 film) — The Night Before Christmas Ivan Mozzhukhin as the demon Directed by Ladislas Starevich Written by Nikolai Gogol (story) … Wikipedia
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time — … Wikipedia
The Night Gwen Stacy Died — The Amazing Spider Man #121 (June 1973. Cover art by John Romita, Sr. Publisher Marvel Comics Publicati … Wikipedia
The Night Before Larry Was Stretched — is an Irish execution ballad written in the Newgate cant.AuthorThe ballad is estimated to have been written around 1816. Will (Hurlfoot) Maher, a shoemaker from Waterford, wrote the song, though Dr. Robert Burrowes, the Dean of St. Finbar’s Cork … Wikipedia
The Night Attack — For the 1981 album by The Angels, see Night Attack (The Angels album). The Night Attack Part of Wallachian Ottoman Wars The Battle Wi … Wikipedia
The Night Watch (Waters novel) — infobox Book | name = The Night Watch title orig = translator = image caption = UK first edition cover author = Sarah Waters illustrator = cover artist = country = United Kingdom language = English series = genre = Historical fiction publisher =… … Wikipedia
The Night They Saved Christmas — Infobox Film name = The Night They Saved Christmas image size = caption = director = Jackie Cooper producer = David R. Kappes writer = Jim Moloney narrator = starring = Jaclyn Smith music = Charles Gross Folliott S. Pierpont cinematography =… … Wikipedia
The Night Moves — Infobox Television episode Colour = #ffaa44 Series = The O.C. Title = The Night Moves Season = 4 (2007) Caption = Taylor, Veronica and Summer Episode = 15 Airdate = February 15, 2007 (FOX) Writer = Stephanie Savage Director = Patrick Norris… … Wikipedia
The Night's Dawn Trilogy — British author Peter F. Hamilton s The Night s Dawn Trilogy consists of three science fiction novels: The Reality Dysfunction (1996), The Neutronium Alchemist (1997), and The Naked God (1999). A collection of short stories, A Second Chance at… … Wikipedia