- New Zealand Sea Lion
New Zealand Sea Lion New Zealand (Hooker's) Sea Lion Conservation status Scientific classification Kingdom: Animalia Phylum: Chordata Class: Mammalia Order: Carnivora Suborder: Pinnipedia Family: Otariidae Subfamily: Otariinae Genus: Phocarctos
Species: P. hookeri Binomial name Phocarctos hookeri
New Zealand Sea Lion range
The New Zealand Sea Lion (Phocarctos hookeri) also known as Hooker's Sea Lion or Whakahao in Māori is a species of sea lion that breeds around the coast of New Zealand's South Island and Stewart Island/Rakiura to some extent, and to a greater extent around the New Zealand Sub-Antarctic Islands, especially the Auckland Islands. It is monotypic of its genus.
Characteristics and taxonomy
New Zealand lions, like all otariids, have marked sexual dimorphism. Adult males are 240-350 cm long and weigh 320-450 kg and adult females are 180-200 cm long and weigh 90-165 kg. At birth, pups are 70-100 cm long and weigh 7-8 kg; the natal pelage is a thick coat of dark brown hair that becomes dark gray with cream markings on the top of the head, nose, tail and at the base of the flippers. Adult females' coats vary from buff to creamy gray with darker pigmentation around the muzzle and the flippers. Adult males are blackish-brown with a well-developed black mane of coarse hair reaching the shoulders.
It has been inferred from middens that the Hooker's sea lion was made locally extinct in the Chatham Islands due to predation by the Moriori. There was thought to be a population of around 15,000 in the mid-1990s. This may have declined somewhat since an outbreak of disease in 1998 caused the deaths of an estimated 20 percent of adult females and 50 percent of pups that year. Estimates (based on pup-counts) were about 9,000 for 2008.
In 2010 the Department of Conservation - responsible for marine mammal conservation - changed the New Zealand Threat Classification System ranking from Nationally Endangered to Nationally Critical.
A Court of Appeal of New Zealand judgement of 7 April 2004, (with the reasons issued separately on 13 July 2004 (CA39/04)), overturned a decision by the Minister of Fisheries that only 62 sea lions could be taken as bycatch by squid fishers, based on advice from the New Zealand Ministry of Fisheries. The Court increased the bycatch to 124 sea lions in the 2004 season, saying the Minister's imposition of the lower figure (one of the lowest ever imposed in the 20-year history of such restrictions) was going beyond what the law required.
In January 2009 the Fisheries Minister allowed a kill of 113 sea lions by the squid fishery, an increase in 40 percent over the previous season. This was condemned by the Forest and Bird conservation organisation since the sea lion population is under threat and in decline.
New Zealand Sea Lions on an Enderby Island beach. New Zealand Sea Lions are surprisingly good climbers. This pup has been left by its mother adjacent to a hut on Auckland Is (an altitude of approximately 200 metres). A New Zealand Sea Lion nursing at Enderby Island, New Zealand. Close up
- ^ Gales, N. (2008). Phocarctos hookeri. In: IUCN 2008. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Downloaded on 30 January 2009. Listed as Vulnerable (VU A3b)
- ^ Perrin, William. Encyclopedia of marine mammals.
- ^ a b "Forest & Bird condemns 40% rise in sea lion quota". Forest & Bird. 2008-12-19. http://forestandbird.colo.onesquared.net/what-we-do/publications/media-releases/forest-bird-condemns-40-rise-in-sea-lion-quota. Retrieved 2009-01-27.
- ^ "New Zealand Sea Lion". NZ Department of Conservation. http://www.doc.govt.nz/conservation/native-animals/marine-mammals/seals/nz-sea-lion/. Retrieved 2009-01-27.
- ^ McFadgen, B.G. (March 1994). Archaeology and holocene sand dune stratigraphy on Chatham Island. 24. Royal Society of New Zealand. http://www.rsnz.org/publish/jrsnz/1994/2.php. Retrieved 2008-08-25. [dead link]
- ^ "Zero quota urged for sea lion". Radio New Zealand. 19 June 2010. http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/stories/2010/06/19/12480a424c2a. Retrieved 20 June 2010.
- Randall R. Reeves, Brent S. Stewart, Phillip J. Clapham and James A. Powell (2002). National Audubon Society Guide to Marine Mammals of the World. Alfred A. Knopf, Inc. ISBN 0375411410.
- New Zealand Sea Lion at the Department of Conservation
- Encyclopedia of New Zealand - New Zealand sea lion
- ARKive - images and movies of the Hooker's sea lion (Phocarctos hookeri)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
New Zealand sea lion — Naujosios Zelandijos jūrų liūtas statusas T sritis zoologija | vardynas taksono rangas rūšis atitikmenys: lot. Phocarctos hookeri angl. Auckland Islands sea lion; Hooker’s sea lion; New Zealand sea lion vok. Aucklandseelöwe rus. новозеландский… … Žinduolių pavadinimų žodynas
Sea lion — This article is about the aquatic mammal. For other uses, see Sea lion (disambiguation). Otariids Temporal range: Late Oligocene – Recent California sea lion (Zalophus californianus) … Wikipedia
New Zealand Warriors — Club information Full name New Zealand Warriors Limited Colours Black … Wikipedia
Sea lion (disambiguation) — Sea lion may refer to:In biology: *Sea Lion, an animal generally found in shallow waters.In music: * Sea Lion (album), the second studio album by New Zealand based indie rock band The Ruby Suns *Sea Lion Woman (also known as Sea line Woman and… … Wikipedia
New Zealand — This article is about the country. For other uses, see New Zealand (disambiguation). NZ redirects here. For other uses, see NZ (disambiguation). New Zealand Aotearoa … Wikipedia
sea lion — 1. any of several large eared seals, as Eumetopias jubatus (Steller s sea lion), of the northern Pacific, and Zalophus californicus (California sea lion), of the Pacific coast of North America. 2. Heraldry. a monster having the forepart of a lion … Universalium
Sea Lion (album) — Infobox Album Name = Sea Lion Type = Album Longtype = Artist = The Ruby Suns Cover size = Caption = Released = January 21, 2008 Recorded = Genre = Indie pop Length = 41:41 Language = Label = Lil Chief Records, Memphis Industries, Sub Pop Producer … Wikipedia
New Zealand national rugby league team — Not to be confused with New Zealand national rugby union team. New Zealand … Wikipedia
South American Sea Lion — Otaria redirects here. For the continent in Magic: The Gathering, see Otaria. South American sea lion Conservation status … Wikipedia
Auckland Islands sea lion — Naujosios Zelandijos jūrų liūtas statusas T sritis zoologija | vardynas taksono rangas rūšis atitikmenys: lot. Phocarctos hookeri angl. Auckland Islands sea lion; Hooker’s sea lion; New Zealand sea lion vok. Aucklandseelöwe rus. новозеландский… … Žinduolių pavadinimų žodynas