- Morpeth railway station
Morpeth Morpeth railway station buildings Location Place Morpeth Local authority Northumberland Coordinates Coordinates: Operations Station code MPT Managed by Northern Rail Number of platforms 2 Live arrivals/departures and station information
from National Rail Enquiries
Annual rail passenger usage 2004/05 * 0.164 million 2005/06 * 0.177 million 2006/07 * 0.189 million 2007/08 * 0.206 million 2008/09 * 0.227 million 2009/10 * 0.229 million History Opened 1 March 1847 History Original company Newcastle and Berwick Railway Pre-grouping North Eastern Railway Post-grouping LNER National Rail - UK railway stations A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z * Annual passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Morpeth from Office of Rail Regulation statistics. Please note: methodology may vary year on year.
A severe ninety degree curve in the line of the railway immediately to the south of the station has been the site of four serious rail accidents, two of them fatal.
Blyth and Tyne Railway
Another station was opened by the Blyth and Tyne Railway on 1 April 1858 and closed 24 May 1880. This was a terminus station that was also used by North British Railway trains from the west from Scots Gap from the opening of their line in 1862 until 1874. The B&T line to Bedlington lost its passenger trains in April 1950 (although occasional summer services between Scotland and the North Eastern coastal resorts continued operating over it until the 1960s), but it remains in use for freight and may have its passenger trains restored in the future (as an extension of the current local stopping service) - the South East Northumberland Rail User Group is currently campaigning for this. Passenger trains over the old NBR line from Scots Gap and Reedsmouth/Rothbury ended in September 1952 and it closed completely in 1966 - few traces of this route now remain.
Morpeth station is irregularly served by East Coast intercity trains running to London and Edinburgh. Northern Rail operates a regular local service between Newcastle and Morpeth - two of these continue on to Alnmouth and Chathill. Since December 2005 a few Cross Country services operated by Virgin Trains have stopped here, which are now run by CrossCountry as of November 2007.
Preceding station National Rail Following station Newcastle CrossCountry
Cross Country Network
Alnmouth East Coast
East Coast Main Line
Cramlington Northern Rail
East Coast Main Line
Historical railways Stannington
Line open; Station closed
North Eastern Railway
Newcastle and Berwick Railway
Line and Station open
Line and Station closed
North British Railway
Terminus Terminus North Eastern Railway
Line open; Station closed
- ^ a b Butt (1995), page 163
- ^ "Northumbrian Railways; Blyth and Tyne stations". Northumbrian-railways.co.uk. http://www.northumbrian-railways.co.uk/index.php?page=blyth-tyne-branch. Retrieved 2009-03-29.
- ^ "SENRUG // South East Northumberland Rail User Group: Morpeth 'Then & Now'". Senrug.co.uk. http://www.senrug.co.uk/morpeth-then-now-. Retrieved 2009-03-29. [dead link]
- ^ "''Reopening The Ashington, Blythe & Tyne Railway Line''". Senrug.co.uk. http://www.senrug.co.uk/re-open-ashington-blyth-tyne-line-to-passengers. Retrieved 2009-03-29. [dead link]
- ^ Body (1989), p.126
- Body, G. (1989). PSL Field Guides - Railways of the Eastern Region Volume 2: Northern operating area (1st ed.). Wellingborough: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 1-8526-0072-1. OCLC 59892452.
(Newcastle Central) → → Cramlington • Stannington (closed) • Morpeth • Pegswood • Widdrington • Chevington (closed) • Acklington • Alnmouth • Longhoughton (closed) • Little Mill (closed) • Christon Bank (closed) • Chathill • Newham (closed) • Lucker (closed) • Belford (closed) • Smeafield (closed) • Beal (closed) • Goswick (closed) • Scremerston (closed) • Tweedmouth (closed) • Berwick-upon-Tweed → → (Edinburgh Waverley)
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 1-8526-0508-1. OCLC 60251199.
- Jowett, Alan (March 1989). Jowett's Railway Atlas of Great Britain and Ireland: From Pre-Grouping to the Present Day (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 1-8526-0086-1. OCLC 22311137.
- Jowett, Alan (2000). Jowett's Nationalised Railway Atlas (1st ed.). Penryn, Cornwall: Atlantic Transport Publishers. ISBN 0-9068-9999-0. OCLC 228266687.
- Morpeth Station on navigable 1947 OS map
- RAILSCOT on Newcastle and Berwick Railway
- RAILSCOT on Wansbeck Railway
- RAILSCOT on Morpeth Branch (Blyth and Tyne Railway)
- Morpeth Station history page from the South East Northumberland Rail User Group
- Buses from the station
- Buses to the station
Newcastle and Carlisle Railway Former railway lines Alnwick branch line Alston Line Amble branch lineChevington • Amble Blyth and Tyne RailwayThe Avenue • Bebside • Bedlington • Blyth • Choppington • Hartley • Hepscot • Morpeth • Newbiggin • Newsham • North Seaton • Seaton Delaval • Seghill Border Counties Railway Cornhill Branch Hexham and Allendale Railway Kelso Branch North Sunderland Railway Ponteland Light Railway(Gosforth) → → Ponteland • Darras Hall Rothbury BranchRothbury • Brinkburn • Fontburn Halt • Ewesley • Longwitton • Scotsgap Wansbeck Railway Heritage Railways South Tynedale Railway(Alston, Cumbria) → → Kirkhaugh
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Stannington railway station — Stannington Stannington station house Location Place … Wikipedia
Meldon railway station — Meldon Main station building in 2006. Location Place Meldon … Wikipedia
Newcastle railway station — This article is about the National Rail station. For the Tyne Wear Metro station, see Central Station Metro station. For other uses, see Newcastle railway station (disambiguation). Newcastle Newcastle Central Station … Wikipedia
Cramlington railway station — Cramlington Location Place … Wikipedia
Deadwater railway station — Deadwater Station building in September 2009 Location Place Kielder … Wikipedia
Manors railway station — This article is about the National Rail station. For the Tyne and Wear Metro station of the same name, see Manors Metro station. Manors … Wikipedia
Mindrum railway station — Mildrum Location Place Mildrum, Paston Area Northumberland Grid reference … Wikipedia
Corbridge railway station — For the station in Staffordshire, see Cobridge railway station. Corbridge Location … Wikipedia
Chathill railway station — Chathill Location Place … Wikipedia
Coldstream railway station — Coldstream Location Place Cornhill on Tweed, Coldstream Area Northumberland Grid reference … Wikipedia