Round Oak railway station


Round Oak railway station

Round Oak railway station was a station on the Oxford-Worcester-Wolverhampton Line. It was opened in 1852 to serve the town of Brierley Hill. British Rail closed the station pre-Beeching in 1962. Two railways/routes served the station - originally the Oxford, Worcester and Wolverhampton Railway and the South Staffordshire Railway, which later became the Great Western Railway and London, Midland and Scottish Railway (through amalgamation of the London and North Western Railway) respectively.

Goods trains continue to pass the site for a few hundreds yards northwards, to Round Oak Steel Terminal. It is set to re-open as a through route in 2012, to run alongside the second phase of the Midland Metro - though it is expected that trams will diverge from the line at around the location of Harts Hill.

References

* [http://www.railaroundbirmingham.co.uk/Stations/round_oak.php Rail Around Birmingham: Round Oak railway station]

###@@@KEYEND@@@###


Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.

Look at other dictionaries:


Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.