- Northern Nail-tail Wallaby
Northern Nail-tail Wallaby Conservation status Scientific classification Kingdom: Animalia Phylum: Chordata Class: Mammalia Infraclass: Marsupialia Order: Diprotodontia Family: Macropodidae Genus: Onychogalea Species: O. unguifera Binomial name Onychogalea unguifera
The distribution of the Northern Nail-tail Wallaby
Data from The Atlas of Living Australia
The Northern Nail-tail Wallaby (Onychogalea unguifera), also known as the Sandy Nail-tail Wallaby, is a species of macropod found in Queensland, Western Australia and Northern Territory. Unlike the Bridled Nail-tail Wallaby (O. fraenata), the Northern Nail-tail Wallaby is not a threatened species. The only other member of the genus, the Crescent Nail-tail Wallaby (O. lunata), is extinct.
The Northern Nail-tail Wallaby by far the largest species in the genus Onychogalea. It is a solitary, nocturnal browser feeding on a variety of foliage. It is a sandy colour, which gave rise to its other common name.
Two subspecies have been defined, but their validity is disputed.
- O. u. unguifera from the northwestern part of its range;
- O. u. annulicauda from the northeastern part of its range.
- ^ Groves, C. (2005). Wilson, D. E., & Reeder, D. M, eds. ed. Mammal Species of the World (3rd ed.). Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press. pp. 66. OCLC 62265494. ISBN 0-801-88221-4. http://www.bucknell.edu/msw3.
- ^ a b Woinarski, J., Winter, J. & Burbidge, A. (2008). Onychogalea unguifera. In: IUCN 2008. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Downloaded on 28 December 2008. Database entry includes justification for why this species is of least concern
- ^ Menkhorst, Peter (2001). A Field Guide to the Mammals of Australia. Oxford University Press. p. 124.
- ^ Gordon, G. (1981). Northern Nailtail Wallaby in The Complete Book of Australian Mammals (ed. Ronald Strahan). Angus & Robertson. p. 204.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
northern nail-tail wallaby — noun the nail tail wallaby of northern Australia, Onychogalea unguifera; karrabul … Australian English dictionary
Nail-tail wallaby — Nail tail wallabies Crescent Nail tail Wallaby Scientific classification Kingdom: Animalia … Wikipedia
nail-tail wallaby — /ˌneɪl teɪld ˈwɒləbi/ (say .nayl tayld woluhbee) noun any of three wallabies of the genus Onychogalea, characterised by a horny nail like tip at the end of a long, slender tail. See bridled nail tail wallaby, crescent nail tail wallaby, northern… … Australian English dictionary
Bridled Nail-tail Wallaby — Conservation status Endangered … Wikipedia
Crescent Nail-tail Wallaby — Crescent Nail tail Wallaby Temporal range: Recent Conservation status … Wikipedia
Northern Brushtail Possum — Northern Brushtail Possum Adult male Conservation status Not evaluate … Wikipedia
Northern Bettong — Northern Bettong Conservation status Endangered (IUCN 3.1) … Wikipedia
Northern Hairy-nosed Wombat — Northern Hairy nosed Wombat Conservation status Critically Endangered (IUCN 3.1) … Wikipedia
Northern Common Cuscus — Northern Common Cuscus Conservation status … Wikipedia
Northern Glider — Northern Glider Conservation status Critically Endangered (IUCN 3.1)[ … Wikipedia