- Joe Kubert School of Cartoon and Graphic Art
The Joe Kubert School of Cartoon and Graphic Art, or Joe Kubert School, located in Dover,
New Jersey, is a three-year technical schoolthat teaches the principles of sequential artand the particular craft of the comics industry as well as commercial illustration, and also offers a major in film animation. Founded in 1976by cartoonist Joe Kubert, it was and still is the only accredited school devoted entirely to cartooning. Its graduates include many successful and well-known comics pencilers and inkers. The school's instructors are full-time professionals working in the industry, many of them graduates of the school themselves, and the instruction is hands-on and practical. The school has a reputation for demanding and intensive coursework, and has a dropout rate averaging roughly 30%.
Pete Abrams, creator of the " Sluggy Freelance" webcomic
Darren Auck, former Marvel Comicseditor
Doug Baron, creator of " Sugar Ray Finhead" comic book
Phil Balsman, letterer for DC Comics
Gabe Bridwell, artist on " Noble Causes"
Stephen R. Bissette, artist for " Swamp Thing" during Alan Moore's run
Mike Chen, current school administrator
Sherm Cohen, Storyboard Artist, writer and director on SpongeBob SquarePants. Attended from 1983 to 1985 as Paul Sherman Cohen.
Anna-Maria Cool, artist on Barbie, Elvira, Toto of Oz, former Hallmark Cards artist
Toby Cypress, artist on " The Tourist" and " Rodd Racer"
Shane Davis, artist on " Batman, Mystery in Spaceand Superman/Batman."
Kim DeMulder, inker on " Swamp Thing"
Dave Dorman, Star Warsartist
Jared K. Fletcher, letterer for DC Comics
Mark Gonyea, author of Children's Book-of-The-Month Club selection, ' and '
Micah Gunnell, artist on " Shrugged" and " Soulfire"
Matt Hollingsworth, colorist on "Daredevil, Preacher" and " Hellboy".
Mark Irwin, art director, Upper Deck Entertainment
Scott Kolins, penciler on "The Flash and Beyond!
Michael Kraiger, former Marvel Comicseditor, writer for " Scooby-Doo" and " Ed, Edd, and Eddy" comics
Jason F. Lambert, colorist on various CrossGen Comicstitles, such as " Meridian", " Ruse", and Marvel Comicstitles such as "Elektra" and "Call of Duty".
Steve Lieber, Eisner Award winning artist on "", and co-author of "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Creating a Graphic Novel"
Dan Lietha, creator of CreationWise and After Eden. Staff artist for Answers in Genesis.
Alex Maleev, artist on "Daredevil"
Tom Mandrake, artist on " Batman" and "The Punisher"
Bill Pressing, storyboard artist for the Venture Bros.Season 1, creator of "" comic and current Pixarartist.
Rags Morales, artist of "Identity Crisis", "JSA", and other titles for DC Comics
David Nakayama, artist on "Proximity Effect", " Witchblade" and " City of Heroes"
Dan Parent, artist for " Archie Comics"
Ed Piskor, artist on " Deviant Funnies" and " Isolation Chamber" and Harvey Pekarcollaborator.
Tom Raney, artist on " Thor, Stormwatch" and " Ultimate X-Men"
Fernando Ruiz, artist of " Archie Comics"
Damion Scott, former artist on " Batman", "Robin", " Batgirl", and featured artist in issue #10 of "Solo"
Eric Shanower, Eisner Award winning creator of "Age of Bronze"
Blair D. Shedd, writer, illustrator of Marvel MasterpiecesSketch Cards from Upper Deck Entertainment, pinup artist for Red 5 Comics, artist/writer of creator-owned comic book "Wayward Son"
Barry T. Smith, creator of the " Angst Technology" webcomic
Alec Stevens, artist on "The Sandman", illustrator for " The New York Times" Book Review and " The New Yorker" magazine
Gabe Swarr, Animation director for Spumco"(Ren & Stimpy)"
Andre Szymanowicz, contributor to "" and " Comic Book Tattoo." Artist/writer of creator-owned comic book " Groove Junction".
Timothy Truman, artist on " GrimJack" and writer on "Conan"
John Totleben, artist on " Miracleman" and inker on " Swamp Thing"
Rob Tornoe, New Jersey and Delaware Editorial Cartoonist for The Press of Atlantic City, The Philadelphia Inquirer, and others.
Rick Veitch, artist on " Swamp Thing" and " Miracleman"
Brandon Vietti, Emmy-winning director of " The Batman" animated series on Kids WB!
Adam Warren, artist/writer for the American " Dirty Pair" comic adaptations, "Livewires", " Gen¹³" and others.
Derrick J. WyattCharacter designer on Teen Titansand Legion of Superheroesanimated series.
Classes (as of 2006)
All classes at the Joe Kubert School (JKS) are mandatory. Students cannot drop classes and if they fail one class, they fail the entire year. There are ten classes a week, two classes a day. Each class is two hours and forty-five minutes. Classes start at 8:30 AM and end at 2:45 PM, with a forty-five minute lunch from 11:15 AM to 12:00 PM.
* "Introduction to
Animation" teaches the fundamentals of traditional hand-drawn animation. Students learn to produce simple animations, including a walk cycle. Taught by Sal Mallimo.
* "Paste-Ups and Mechanicals" teaches old-fashioned (pre-computer) methods for production of a comic book. Taught by
Doug Baron(" Sugar Ray Finhead").
* "Humor & Caricature I" teaches how to
caricaturehumans, as well as production of humorous comic strips. Taught by Brian Buniak(" MAD Magazine") and Bob Hardin.
* "Design I" teaches fundamentals of
design. Assignments typically include character designsand ad layouts. Taught by Shelby McPherson, Alec Stevensand Dave McCoy.
* "Lettering" teaches comic book
lettering, in both dialogueand sound effectfonts. Taught by Hy Eisman(" Popeye", " Katzenjammer Kids"), Michael Kraiger(" Scooby-Doo", former Marvel Comicseditor), and Mike Chen(school administrator).
* "Basic Drawing I" teaches the fundamentals of
drawing, including lighting, rendering, composition, and perspective. Taught by Fernando Ruiz(" Archie").
* "Layout I" teaches the fundamentals of
layoutand composition. Taught by Alec Stevens( The Sandman (DC Comics/Vertigo)).
* "Figure Drawing I" is a
life drawingclass, typically featuring a live nude male or female model. Basics of human anatomyare also covered. Taught by Michael Kraiger and Kim DeMulder(" Swamp Thing").
* "Methods and Materials I" teaches use of various tools used for comic production, including
inkingwith brushesand crow quillpens, Duoshade, scratchboard, Dr. Ph. Martin dyes, and more. Taught by Alec Stevensand Kim DeMulder.
* "Narrative Art I" teaches the production of finished
sequential art, from thumbnailto rough layout, to penciled pages, and sometimes finished inked and/or lettered pages. Actual sequential pages usually make up about 10% of the assignments for this class. Taught by Adam Kubert(" X-Men," " The Hulk", " Superman") and Fernando Ruiz.
"Note: After First Year, the school splits into two courses: "Cartoon Graphics" (dealing mostly with assignments relating to comic books and commercial art) and "Animation."
Second Year Cartoon Graphics
* "Narrative Art II" continues the lesson on sequential art. Actual sequential pages usually make up about 50% of the assignments for this class. Taught by
Andy Kubert("X-Men," " Batman").
* "Basic Drawing II" teaches intermediate drawing skills, and expands upon the foundations taught in First Year. Taught by Kim DeMulder,
Alec Stevens, and Tom Taggart(" Doom Patrol").
* "Layout and Design I" teaches computer production, including
computer lettering( Adobe Illustrator), computer coloring( Adobe Photoshop), and page production ( Quark XPress). Recently taught by Gabe Bridwell(" Noble Causes"), Rick Cellano(a.k.a. "Rickman") and Dwayne Ferguson(a.k.a. "Hunter Wolf," a.k.a. "Storm," a.k.a. "Fergie") (" Hamster Vice").
* "Humor & Caricature II" continues caricature lessons and production of humorous comic strips. Taught by Bob Hardin and
* "Human Figure I" is another life drawing class. This one goes more in-depth into human anatomy. Taught by
Ian Dorianand Ravindra Rana.
* "Advertising Illustration" teaches production of
advertisingmaterial, such as posters, CD covers, and T-shirts. Taught by Shelby McPherson.
* "Color Illustration I" teaches
color theoryand how to produce paintingsin such media as acrylic paintand watercolor. Taught by Toby Cypress(" The Tourist," " Rodd Racer").
* "Methods and Materials II" teaches painting methods such as
acrylic paint, watercolor, and airbrush. Taught by Doug Axmann.
* "Story Adaptation" teaches how to take a story from a medium such as novels or poems, and adapt them to comic book format. This class is generally referred to as the "second narrative class" of JKS Year Two. Taught by Michael Kraiger.
* "Business of Cartoon Art I" teaches how to market oneself as an artist, and how to look for and secure jobs. Taught by
Darren Auck, former Marvel Comics editor.
Second Year Animation
* Intermediate Basic Drawing
* Intermediate Life Drawing and Movement
* Character Development
* Technical Studies - Computer Graphics
* Technical Studies - Oxberry Camera
* Technical Studies - Airbrush
* Technical Studies - Stop Motion
* Layout and Design
Third Year Cartoon Graphics
* "Humor & Caricature III" continues caricature lessons and production of humorous comic strips. Taught by Brian Buniak.
* "Advanced Techniques and the Development of Style" teaches advanced techniques in art, including composition, layout, design, and rendering. Taught by Ian Dorian.
* "Human Figure II" is another life drawing class, and teaches advanced human anatomy. Recently taught by Kim DeMulder.
* "Sequential Art" is the third Narrative Art class, and actual sequential pages make up roughly 90% of the assignments. Taught by
Joe Kubert("Sgt. Rock").
* "Layout and Design II" has a focus on website building, and learning
Macromedia Dreamweaverand Macromedia Flash. Taught by Rick Cellano, Dwayne Ferguson, and Gabe Bridwell(" Noble Causes").
* "Sketching and Layout" typically contains all manner of commercial art assignments, including sequential art, posters, logo design, and more. Finished artwork is usually not necessary for a grade. Taught by
Irwin Hasen(" Dondi").
* "Business of Art II" continues the lesson on marketing oneself as an artist. Taught by Darren Auck.
* "Writing" teaches how to write scripts for comics, and how to develop characters and plots. Taught by Michael Kraiger.
* "Color Illustration II" continues the lesson on color theory and painting.
Oil paintingis typically introduced this year. Taught by Toby Cypress and Ravindra Rana.
* "Methods and Materials III" continues the lesson on painting. Oil painting is also covered in this class. Taught by Doug Axmann.
Third Year Animation
* Advanced Basic Drawing
* Advanced Life Drawing and Movement
* Advanced Storyboard and Character Development
* Advanced Technical Studies - Computer Graphics
* Advanced Technical Studies - Oxberry Camera
* Advanced Technical Studies - Airbrush
* Advanced In-Betweening
* Advanced Layouts
* Business of Film Art
* Advanced Technical Studies - The Animated Film
Due to the small size of the school, and the fact that students come from all over the world to study there, JKS has a very friendly and close community of students. There are usually no more than 150 students attending the school at any time, and most students know each other. Especially in first year, when nearly all the students live in the three official student houses (the Carriage House and Mansion, former site of the school at 45 Lehigh Street, Dover, NJ, and the Clinton House at 145 W. Clinton Street, Dover, NJ). The school itself holds a Halloween costume contest every year on the last Friday before Halloween, with prizes usually including gift certificates and comics.
Art Supply Store
The school houses the
Joe Kubert Art Store, which sells all the tools and supplies students will need for assignments, as well as many other products such as books and drafting tables. Most of the products are of the highest quality, with some products imported from other countries. One such available product is the Kolinsky Raphael sable inking brush, which Joe Kubert discovered in an art store while vacationing in Paris and now has shipped from France to his store. Fact|date=August 2008
As well as regular weekday classes, the school also holds a weekly class every Saturday; this is also available for people who are not attending the main program. The class is on basic lessons in cartooning, and is taught by
Fernando Ruiz(or by Alec Stevens, in cases when Ruiz is unable to attend). Fact|date=August 2008
* [http://www.kubertsworld.com/kubertschool/KubertSchool.htm Joe Kubert School web site]
* [http://www.xkubies.com Current and Former Student Forum]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Joe Kubert — Kubert à la Big Apple Convention à Manhattan en 2009 Naissance 8 … Wikipédia en Français
Joe Kubert — (* 18. September 1926 in Polen) ist ein US amerikanischer Comiczeichner sowie Begründer einer nach ihm benannten Schule für Grafik und Kunstdesign (Joe Kubert School of Cartoon and Graphic Art). Leben und Arbeit Kubert kam in den 1920er Jahren… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Joe Kubert — Infobox Comics creator imagesize = 150 caption = birthname = birthdate = birth date and age|1926|09|18 location = Poland deathdate = deathplace = nationality = Naturalized American (immigrated Polish) area = Penciller, Inker, Writer alias =… … Wikipedia
Adam Kubert — auf der Big Apple Convention, 2009 Adam Kubert (* 6. Oktober 1959 in Boonton, New Jersey) ist ein US amerikanischer Comiczeichner. Leben und Arbeit Kubert ist der älteste Sohn von Joe Kubert, dem Begründer der Joe Kubert School of Cartoon and… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Adam Kubert — Infobox Comics creator imagesize = 150 caption = birthname = birthdate = birth date and age|1959|10|6 location = Boonton, New Jersey, United States deathdate = deathplace = nationality = flagicon|USA American area = Penciller, inker alias =… … Wikipedia
Adam Kubert — Este artículo o sección necesita referencias que aparezcan en una publicación acreditada, como revistas especializadas, monografías, prensa diaria o páginas de Internet fidedignas. Puedes añadirlas así o avisar … Wikipedia Español
Andy Kubert — Infobox Comics creator imagesize = 150 caption = birthname = Andrew Kubert birthdate = birth date and age|1962|02|27 location = deathdate = deathplace = nationality = American area = Penciller; Inker alias = notable works = Batman Son awards =… … Wikipedia
Adam Kubert — en octobre 2009 Naissance 6 décembre … Wikipédia en Français
Andy Kubert — Naissance 27 février 1962 États Unis) Nationalité américain Profession … Wikipédia en Français
List of colleges and universities in New Jersey — The following is a list of colleges and universities in the U.S. state of New Jersey.Private Liberal Arts Colleges*Caldwell College, Caldwell *College of Saint Elizabeth, Morris Township *Drew University, Madison *Monmouth University, West Long… … Wikipedia