- U.S. Route 136
Route information Auxiliary route of US 36 Length: 804 mi (1,294 km) Existed: 1951 – present Major junctions West end: US-6 / US-34 in Edison, NE I-57 at Rantoul, IL East end: I-74 / I-465 in Speedway, IN Highway system
U.S. Highway 136 is a spur of U.S. Highway 36. It runs from Edison, Nebraska, at U.S. Highway 6 and U.S. Highway 34 to the Interstate 74/Interstate 465 interchange in Speedway, Indiana. This is a distance of 804 miles (1,294 km).
U.S. 136 passes through the following states:
U.S. 136 closely parallels Nebraska's southern border from its western terminus near Edison to the Missouri River. It passes through Beatrice and exits the state at Brownville via the Brownville Bridge. It is designated the Heritage Highway throughout Nebraska.
US 136 enters Missouri on the west just east of Brownville, Nebraska, over the Missouri River. It leaves the state at Alexandria, Missouri, on the east concurrent with US 61. During its journey it enters every county seat in the nine counties it traverses. The distance across Missouri is around 240 miles (390 km). US 136 is two lanes for the full distance.
U.S. Route 136 in Iowa consists of a 3.6-mile (5.8 km) long route which runs across the south-easternmost tip of Lee County. It crosses the Des Moines River from Missouri with U.S. Route 61, overlapping for just over one mile (1.6 km). East of the US 61 split, US 136 is overlapped by US 61 Bus. through Keokuk. US 136 enters Keokuk along 7th Street, which takes a turn to the northeast towards downtown. At the intersection with Main Street, which is the southern end of U.S. Route 218, it turns to the southeast towards the Mississippi River. US 136 travels another 2⁄3 miles (1.1 km) before crossing the Mississippi into Hamilton, Illinois via the Keokuk–Hamilton Bridge.
U.S. 136 spends 225.95 miles (363.63 km) within the state of Illinois. U.S. Route 136 crosses the Mississippi River into Illinois from Iowa just past Keokuk. It passes through Macomb, Illinois, where Western Illinois University is located. It continues as an east–west route intersecting with I-155 and I-55 south of Bloomington-Normal and north of Lincoln in Central Illinois. It later intersects with I-74, and then I-57 just outside Rantoul about 15 miles (24 km) north of Champaign-Urbana. U.S. Route 136 then runs concurrent with Illinois Route 1 in far east central Illinois before entering Danville, Illinois. At Danville, it turns east to go into Indiana.
Through most of its duration in Indiana, 136 parallels Interstate 74. Within Indianapolis, the route is also called Crawfordsville Road, and US 136 ends in the town of Speedway, Indiana, at the I-465/I-74 interchange where Crawfordsville Road continues without numbered designation.
In Missouri, most of US 136 was designated as Route 4 in 1922. This highway began at St. Joseph and followed present US 169 to Stanberry, turning east there to the Iowa border along US 136. The rest of US 136 was initially Route 1A (Nebraska to Rock Port), part of Route 1, and Route 18 (Tarkio to Stanberry). The east end was truncated to Wayland in 1926, when US 61 was designated over the part east to Iowa, and later that decade Route 4 absorbed the former Route 52 from St. Joseph southwest to Atchison, Kansas. When this extension became part of US 59 in the early 1930s, the portion west of Stanberry was deleted in favor of US 59 and US 169; Route 4 was instead extended west, absorbing Routes 18 and 102 (the latter a ca. 1930 renumbering of Route 1A). US 136 replaced Route 4 east of Stanberry in 1951 and the rest in 1960.
In Nebraska, US 136 was previously "Route 3." US 136 replaced Route 3 in 1960.
In Indiana, U.S. Route 136 might have continued on 16th Street to what was at the time U.S. Route 36 and Indiana State Route 67. When the routing was changed, U.S. Route 136 might have been truncated.
- U.S. Route 6 and U.S. Route 34 north of Edison, Nebraska
- U.S. Route 183 concurrency near Alma, Nebraska
- U.S. Route 281 at Red Cloud, Nebraska
- U.S. Route 81 south of Hebron, Nebraska
- U.S. Route 77 at Beatrice, Nebraska
- U.S. Route 75 at Auburn, Nebraska
- Interstate 29 west of Rock Port, Missouri
- U.S. Route 275 west of Rock Port
- U.S. Route 59 concurrency at Tarkio, Missouri
- U.S. Route 71 concurrency between Burlington Junction and Maryville, Missouri
- U.S. Route 169 concurrency near Stanberry, Missouri
- U.S. Route 69 concurrency at Bethany, Missouri
- Interstate 35 at Bethany
- U.S. Route 65 at Princeton, Missouri
- U.S. Route 63 concurrency near Lancaster, Missouri
- Missouri Route 27 (Avenue of the Saints) at Wayland, Missouri
- U.S. Route 61 concurrency between Alexandria, Missouri and Keokuk, Iowa
- U.S. Route 218 at Keokuk
- Illinois Route 94 and Illinois Route 336 near Carthage, Illinois
- U.S. Route 67 concurrency at Macomb, Illinois
- U.S. Route 24 concurrency south of Lewistown, Illinois
- Interstate 155 east of Emden, Illinois
- Interstate 55 at McLean, Illinois
- U.S. Route 51 at Heyworth, Illinois
- Interstate 74 southeast of Le Roy, Illinois
- U.S. Route 150 southeast of Le Roy
- Interstate 57 at Rantoul, Illinois
- U.S. Route 45 at Rantoul
- U.S. Route 41 concurrency at Veedersburg, Indiana
- U.S. Route 231 at Crawfordsville, Indiana
- Interstate 74 and Interstate 465 at Speedway, Indiana
- Illinois Route 336
- List of U.S. Routes
- ^ a b US Highways from US 1 to US 830 Robert V. Droz
- ^ "2010 Volume of Traffic on the Primary Road System of Iowa" (PDF). Iowa Department of Transportation. January 1, 2010. http://www.iowadotmaps.com/trafbook/trafbook2010.pdf. Retrieved June 26, 2010.
- ^ Illinois Technology Transfer Center (2006). "T2 GIS Data". http://www.dot.state.il.us/gist2/select.html. Retrieved 2007-11-08.
Browse numbered routes ← N-133 NE N-137 → ← Route 135 MO Route 137 → ← Iowa 130 IA Iowa 136 → ← IL 135 IL IL 136 → ← SR 135 IN SR 140 →
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Route 136 (Quebec) — Route 136 (Québec) Route 136 Longueur environ 12 km Direction Est / Ouest Extrémité Ouest … Wikipédia en Français
Route 136 (québec) — Route 136 Longueur environ 12 km Direction Est / Ouest Extrémité Ouest … Wikipédia en Français
Route 136 (Öland, Sweden) — Route 136 is the perimeter highway on the island of Öland, Sweden. This facility is a paved two lane structure that circumnavigates the entire island. This highway constitutes the majority of named highway coverage on the island. Route 136… … Wikipedia
Route 136 (Québec) — Route 136 Boulevard Champlain Rue Dalhousie Quai Saint André Informations Gérée p … Wikipédia en Français
Ohio State Route 136 — State Route 136 Route information Maintained by ODOT Length: 32.41 mi[2 … Wikipedia
Maine State Route 136 — State Route 136 Route information Maintained by MaineDOT Length: 19.17 mi … Wikipedia
California State Route 136 — Infobox road state=CA type=SR route=136 section=436 maint=Caltrans length mi=18 length round=0 length ref= [ [http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/structur/strmaint/brlog2.htm January 1, 2006 California Log of Bridges on State Highways] ] direction a=West… … Wikipedia
Malaysia Federal Route 136 — Federal Route 136 Major junctions North end: Kuala Ketil … Wikipedia
New Hampshire Route 136 — Route information Maintained by NHDOT Length: 17.12 mi … Wikipedia
Rhode Island Route 136 — Infobox RI Route type= route=136 length mi=7.4 length km=11.9 formed= dir1=South dir2=North from= to= previous type= previous route=128 next type= next route=138 Route 136 is a numbered State Highway running 7.4 miles in Rhode Island.RouteRoute… … Wikipedia