- List of World War I books
List of World War I books is an
annotated bibliographyusing APA style citations of a selection of the most useful books on World War Ias selected by the editors.
* Ellis, Robert, John, and Mike Cox. "The World War I Databook: The Essential Facts and Figures for All the Combatants" (2002)
* Esposito, Vincent J. "The West Point Atlas of American Wars: 1900-1918" (1997) despite the title covers entire war; [http://www.dean.usma.edu/history/web03/atlases/great%20war/great%20war%20index.htm online maps from this atlas]
* Higham, Robin and Dennis E. Showalter, eds. "Researching World War I: A Handbook" (2003), highly detailed historiography, stressing military themes; annotates over 1000 books
* March, Francis Andrew and Richard Joseph Beamish "History of the World War: An Authentic Narrative of the World's Greatest War" (1919), a comprehensive, richly illustrated contemporary history. [http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/18993]
* Pope, Stephen and Wheal, Elizabeth-Anne, eds. "The Macmillan Dictionary of the First World War" (1995)
* Stewart, Phillip W. "Battlefilm: U.S. Army Signal Corps Motion Pictures of the Great War" (2007) A catalog of the WWI era documentary films in Record Group 111 held at the US National Archives
* Tucker, Spencer, ed. "The Encyclopedia of World War I: A Political, Social, and Military History" (5 vol 2005), online at eBook.com, the most detailed reference source; articles by specialists cover all aspects of the war
* Tucker, Spencer, ed. "European Powers in the First World War: An Encyclopedia" (1999)
* Winter, Jay, and Antoine Prost. "The Great War in History" (2005), historiography, stress on social and economic themes
* Carver, Field Marshal Lord. "War Lords". (1976) Includes brief bios of Hamilton, Foch, Haig, von Falkenhayn
* Cruttwell, C. R. M. F. "A History of the Great War, 1914-1918" (1934), general military history
* Evans, David. "Teach yourself— the First World War". (Hodder Arnold, 2004)
* Falls, Cyril. "The Great War" (1960), general military history
* Halpern, Paul G. "A Naval History of World War I"(1995)
* Herwig, Holger H. "The First World War: Germany and Austria-Hungary 1914-1918" (1996)
* Howard, Michael. "The First World War" (2002), short (175 pp) general military history
* Hubatsch, Walther. "Germany and the Central Powers in the World War, 1914-1918" (1963)
* Keegan, John. "The First World War" (1999). general military history
* Lincoln, W. Bruce. "Passage Through Armageddon: The Russians in War and Revolution, 1914-1918" (1986)
* Lyons, Michael J. "World War I: A Short History" (2nd Edition), Prentice Hall, 1999.
* Morrow Jr., John H.. "The Great War: An Imperial History" (2003), covers British Empire
* Robbins, Keith. "The First World War" (1993), short overview
* Stevenson, David. "Cataclysm: The First World War As Political Tragedy" (2004) major reinterpretation, 560pp
* Stokesbury, James. "A Short History of World War I" (1981)
* Strachan, Hew. "The First World War: Volume I: To Arms" (2004): the major scholarly synthesis. Thorough coverage of 1914; Also: "The First World War" (2004): a 385pp version of his multivolume history
* Winter, J. M. "The Experience of World War I" (2nd ed 2005), topical essays; well illustrated
Causes and diplomacy
* Albertini, Luigi. "The Origins of the War of 1914". New updated edition with an introduction by Samuel R. Williamson. 3-vol. paperback set (New York: Enigma Books, 2005) ISBN 1-929631-26-X
* Barnes,Harry Elmer. "The Genesis Of The World War" (1968)
* Cochran,Michael H. "Germany Not Guilty In 1914 " (1972)
* Evans, R. J. W., and Hartmut Pogge Von Strandman, eds. "The Coming of the First World War" (1990), essays by scholars from both sides
* Fay,Sidney. "The Origins Of The World War" (1967)
* Fromkin, D. "Europe's Last Summer. Who started the Great War in 1914?" (2004)
* Gilpin, Robert. "War and Change in World Politics"
Cambridge University Press, New York: 1981
* Hamilton, Richard F. and Holger H. Herwig. "Decisions for War, 1914-1917" (2004)
* Henig, Ruth "The Origins of the First World War" (2002)
* Joll, James. "The Origins of the First World War" (1984)
* Kennedy, Paul M. (ed.). "The War Plans of the Great Powers, 1880-1914." (1979)
* Kennedy, Paul M. "The Rise of the Anglo-German Antagonism, 1860-1914" (1981)
* Knutsen, Torbjørn L. "The Rise and Fall of World Orders" Manchester University Press, 1999
* Lee, Dwight E. ed. "The Outbreak of the First World War: Who Was Responsible?" (1958), readings from multiple points of view
* McCullough,Edward E. "How The First World War Began" (1999)
* Neilson,Francis. "How Diplomats Make War" (1984)
* Ponting, Clive. "Thirteen Days: Diplomacy and Disaster - The Countdown to the Great War" (2002)
* Stevenson, David. "The First World War and International Politics" (2005)
* Leon Wolff. "" (1958)
* Beesly, Patrick. "Room 40" London:
Hamish Hamilton, 1982. Covers the breaking of German codes by RN intelligence, Zimmermann telegram, and confusion at Jutland
* Kahn, David. "The Codebreakers" Scribners, 1996. Covers the breaking of Russian codes and the victory at Tannenberg
* Khan, David "The Reader of Gentlemen's Mail: Herbert O. Yardley and the Birth of American Codebreaking" (2004)
* Tuchman, Barbara W. "The Zimmermann Telegram" (1966)
USA and Canada at war
American Battle Monuments Commission|title=American armies and battlefields in Europe : a history, guide, and reference book|publisher=U.S.G.P.O.|year=1938 [http://www.secstate.wa.gov/history/publications_detail.aspx?p=31 Selected photos available online through the Washington State Library's Classics in Washington History collection]
American Battle Monuments Commission|title=American armies and battlefields in Europe : a history, guide, and reference book|publisher=U.S.G.P.O.|year=1938 [http://www.secstate.wa.gov/history/ww1/maps.aspx Maps available online through the Washington State Office of the Secretary of State's Washington History collection]
* Beaver, Daniel R. "Newton D. Baker and the American War Effort, 1917-1919" (1966)
* Chambers, John W., II. "To Raise an Army: The Draft Comes to Modern America" (1987)
* Coffman, Edward M. "The War to End All Wars: The American Military Experience in World War I" (1998)
* Hallas, James H. "Doughboy War: The American Expeditionary Force in World War I" (2000)
* Howarth, Stephen. "To Shining Sea: A History of the United States Navy, 1775-1991" (1991)
* Kennedy, David M. "Over Here: The First World War and American Society" (1982), covers politics & economics & society
* Koistinen, Paul. "Mobilizing for Modern War: The Political Economy of American Warfare, 1865-1919"
* Millis,Walter. "Road To War:America 1914-1917" (1970)
* Slosson, Preston William. "The Great Crusade and after, 1914-1928" (1930). U.S.
* Trask, David F. "The United States in the Supreme War Council: American War Aims and Inter-Allied Strategy, 1917-1918" (1961)
* Venzon, Anne ed. "The United States in the First World War: An Encyclopedia" (1995)
* Milner, Marc, Prof. "Canadian Military History". Toronto: Copp Clark Putnam, 1993. Includes problems of Canadian recruiting and the 1917 draft crisis (with its problems over Quebec)
* Morton, Desmond, and J. L. Granatstein "Marching to Armageddon: Canadians and the Great War 1914-1919" (1989)
* Wade, Mason. "The French Canadians, 1760-1945" (1955), ch 12
Europe, economic and social
* Broadberry, Stephen and Mark Harrison, eds. "The Economics of World War I" (2005) ISBN 0-521-85212-9. Covers France, UK, USA, Russia, Italy, Germany, Austria-Hungary, the Ottoman Empire, and the Netherlands
* Ferguson, Niall "The Pity of War" (1999), cultural and economic themes
* Hardach, Gerd. "The First World War 1914-1918" (1977), economics
* Eric Osborne. "Britain's Economic Blockade of Germany, 1914-1919" (2004)
* Stubbs, Kevin D. "Race to the Front: The Materiel Foundations of Coalition Strategy in the Great War" (2002)
* Shotwell, James T. "Economic and Social History of the World War" (1924)
* Turner, John, ed. "Britain and the First World War" (1988)
* Winter, J. M. "The Experience of World War I" (2nd ed 2005)
* Winter, J. M. "Capital Cities at War: Paris, London, Berlin, 1914-1919" (1999)
Infantry and specialty military topics
* Bidwell, Shelford, and Dominick Graham. "Firepower: British Army Weapons and Theories of War, 1904-1945" (1992)
* Dupuy, Trevor N., "Evolution of Weapons and Warfare".
* Dupuy, Trevor N., "Numbers, Predictions, and War".
* Dyer, Gwynn. "War".
* Gudmundsson, Bruce I. "Stormtroop Tactics: Innovation in the German Army, 1914-1918" (1989)
* [http://www.stratnet.ucalgary.ca/publications/pdf/herwig_operation-michael_nov2001.pdf Herwig, Holger H. "Operation Michael: The “Last Card”" 2001] German Spring Offensive in 1918
* Jenkins, Stephen. 'They Took The Lead'. The story of Clapton Orient's major contribution to the Footballers' Battalion in the Great War (2005) www.leytonorient.com.
* [http://www.vlib.us/medical/casucalc/warcasuTC.htm Albert G. Love, "War Casualties" (1931) online] statistics and how compiled for U.S. Army
* Messenger, Charles. "Call To Arms: The British Army 1914-1918" (2005) (ISBN 0-297-84695-7), recruitment, training, supplying of officers & men
* Sheffield, G. D. "Leadership in the Trenches: Officer-Man Relations, Morale and Discipline in the British Army in the Era of the First World War" (2000)
* Smith, Leonard V. "Between Mutiny and Obedience. The Case of the French Fifth Infantry Division during World War I" (1994)
* Tuchman, Barbara. "
The Guns of August", tells of the opening diplomatic and military manoeuvres
New weapons, air, tank, gas, submarine
* Angelucci, Enzo, Matricardi, Paolo. "World Aircraft: Origins-World War I" (1979). ISBN 0528881655.
* Bennett, Leon. "Three Wings for the Red Baron: Von Richthofen, Strategy, Tactics, and Airplanes" (2001). ISBN 1572492139. 248 pgs.
* Bickers, Richard Townshend. "The First Great Air War" (1989). ISBN 0340508248. 277 pgs.
* Boelcke,Oswald, "An Aviators Field Book,1914-1916" (1991) ISBN 0898391636 203 pgs.
* Bowyer, Chaz. "Royal Flying Corps Communiques: 1917-1918" (1998). ISBN 1898697795. 258 pgs.
* Chickering, Roger (Ed.), Förster, Roger Stig (Ed.), Mauch, Christof (Editor), Lazar, David (Editor). "Great War, Total War : Combat and Mobilization on the Western Front, 1914-1918 (Publications of the German Historical Institute)" (2000). ISBN 0521773520. 584 pgs.
* Clark, Alan. "Aces high: The war in the air over the Western Front 1914-18" (1973). ISBN 0297994646. 191 pgs.
* Cooke, James J.. "The U.S. Air Service In the Great War: 1917-1919" (1996). ISBN 0275948625. 272 pgs.
* Cormack, Andrew, Peter Cormack. "British Air Forces (1) : 1914-1918 (Men-At-Arms Series, 341)" (2000). Osprey Publishing (UK). ISBN 1841760013. 48 pgs.
* Cowin, Hugh W. "Allied Aviation of World War I: A Pictoral History of Allied Aviators and Aircraft of the Great War" (2000). Osprey Aviation. ISBN 1841762261. 112 pgs.
* Cowin, Hugh W. "German and Austrian Aviation of World War I: A Pictorial Chronicle of the Airmen and Aircraft That Forged German Airpower" (2000). Osprey Pub Co. ISBN 1841760692. 96 pgs.
* Cuneo, John R. "Winged Mars (2 Volumes)" (1942). The Military Service Publishing Company. 338 pgs. [http://www.bettsbooks.com/w95020af.html]
* Diggens, Barry. "September Evening: The Life and Final Combat of the German World War One Ace Werner Voss" (2003). Grub Street. ISBN 1904010474. 192 pgs.
* Dodds, Ronald. "The Brave Young Wings" (1980). Canada's Wings, Inc., Stittsville, Ontario, Canada. ISBN 0920002080. 302 pgs.
* Editors, Time Life, Ezra Bowen. "Knights of the Air (Epic of Flight)" (1980). Warner Books Inc. ISBN 0809432528. 192 pgs.
* Frandsen, Bert. "Hat in the Ring: The Birth of American Air Power in the Great War" (2003). Smithsonian Books. ISBN 158834150X. 320 pgs.
* Franks, Norman L. R., Frank W. Bailey, and Russell Guest. "Above the Lines: The Aces and Fighter Units of the German Air Service, Naval Air Service and Flanders Marine Corps 1914-1918" (1994). Grub Street ISBN 0948817739. 259 pgs.
* Franks, Norman L. R., Guest, Russell, and Alegi, Gregory. "Above the War Fronts: The British Two-Seater Bomber Pilot and Observer Aces, the British Two-Seater Fighter Observer Aces, and the Belgian, Italian, Austro-Hungarian and Russian Fighter Aces 1914-1918" (1997). Grub Street (ISBN 1898697566). 218 pgs.
* Franks, Norman L.R., Bailey, Frank W. "Over the Front: A Complete Record of the Fighter Aces and Units of the United States and French Air Services, 1914-1918" (1992). Casemate Pub (ISBN 0948817542)
* Franks, Norman L.R., Guest, Russell, Bailey, Frank W. "Bloody April...Black September" (1995). Grub Street (ISBN 1898697086). 314 pgs.
* Franks, Norman, Bailey, Frank, Bailey, Frank W. "The Storks: The Story of the Les Cigognes, France's Elite Fighter Group of Wwi" (1998). Grub Street (ISBN 1898697817). 160 pgs.
* Franks, Norman, Bailey, Frank, Duiven, Rick. "Casualties of the German Air Service 1914-20: As Complete a List Possible Arranged Alphabetically and Chronologically" (1999). Grub Street (ISBN 1902304330). 362 pgs.
* Franks, Norman, Giblin, Hal and McCrery, Nigel. "Under the Guns of the Red Baron - The Complete Record of Von Richthofen's Victories and Victims Fully Illustrated" (1999). Barnes & Noble (ISBN 0760712093). 224 pgs.
* Franks, Norman, Giblin, Hal. "Under the Guns of the Kaiser's Aces: Bohme, Muller, Von Tutschek, Wolff : The Complete Record of Their Victories and Victims" (2003). Grub Street (ISBN 1904010024). 192 pgs.
* Franks, Norman, Holmes, Tony. "Albatros Aces of World War I (Osprey Aircraft of the Aces No 32)" (2000). Motorbooks International (ISBN 1855329603). 96 pgs.
* Franks, Norman, Holmes, Tony. "Sopwith Triplanes Aces of World War 1 (Aircraft of the Aces, 62)" (2004). Osprey Publishing (UK) (ISBN 184176728X). 96 pgs.
* Franks, Norman, Wyngarden, Greg Van, Holmes, Tony. "Fokker Dr I Aces of World War I (Osprey Aircraft of the Aces No 40)" (2001). Osprey Aviation (ISBN 1841762237). 96 pgs.
* Franks, Norman. "Jasta Boelcke: The History of Jasta 2, 1916-1918" (2004). Grub Street (ISBN 1904010768). 224 pgs.
* Franks, Norman. "Nieuport Aces of World War I (Osprey Aircraft of the Aces No 33)" (2000). Motorbooks International (ISBN 1855329611). 96 pgs.
* Franks, Norman. "Sopwith Camel Aces of World War 1 (Aircraft of the Aces, 52)" (2003). Osprey Publishing (UK) (ISBN 1841765341). 96 pgs.
* Gibbons, Floyd. "Red Knight of Germany: The Story of Baron Von Richthofen, Germany's Great War Bird" (1927, 1979). Arno Press (ISBN 0405121679). 383 pgs.
* Grinnel-Milne, Duncan. "Wind in the Wires" (1968) Doubleday Publishing (ISBN Not given). 259 pages with illus.
* Grosz, Peter, Haddow, George, Schiemer, Peter. "Austro-Hungarian Army Aircraft of World War I" (2002). Flying Machines Press (ISBN 1891268058). 544 pgs.
* Guttman, Jon, Holmes, Tony. "SPA124 Lafayette Escadrille: American Volunteer Airmen in World War 1 (Aviation Elite Units, 17)" (2004). Osprey Publishing (UK) (ISBN 1841767522). 128 pgs.
* Guttman, Jon. "Spad VII Aces of World War I (Osprey Aircraft of the Aces No 39)" (2001). Osprey Aviation (ISBN 1841762229). 96 pgs.
* Henshaw, Trevor. "The Sky Their Battlefield: Air Fighting and the Complete List of Allied Air Casualties from Enemy Action in the First War" (1995). Grub Street (ISBN 1898697302). 618 pgs.
* Hepplewhite, Peter. "World War I: In The Air" (2003). Pan Macmillan (ISBN 0330410113). 144 pgs.
* Herris, Jack. "Pfalz Aircraft of World War I (Great War Aircraft in Profile, Volume 4)" (2001). Flying Machines Press (ISBN 1891268155). 184 pgs.
* Holley, I. B. "Ideas and Weapons: Exploitation of the Aerial Weapon by the United States During World War I"(1983)
* Hudson, James J. "Hostile Skies" (1997). Syracuse University Press (ISBN 0815604653). 338 pgs.
* Hurley, Alfred F. "Billy Mitchell, Crusader for Air Power" (1975)
* Immelmann, Franz. "Immelmann,The Eagle Of Lille" (1990) ISBN 094789800X 240 pgs.
* Jeffers, H. Paul. "Ace of Aces: The Life of Captain Eddie Rickenbacker" (2003). Presidio Press (ISBN 0891417915). 352 pgs.
* Johnson, Herbert A. "Wingless Eagle: U.S. Army Aviation Through World War I" (2001). University of North Carolina Press (ISBN 0807826278). 298 pgs.
* Kennett, Lee. "First Air War, 1914-1918" (1999). Free Press (ISBN 0684871203). 288 pgs.
* Kilduff, Peter, Richthofen, Manfred von. "Talking With the Red Baron: 'Interviews' With Manfred Von Richthofen" (2003). Brassey's UK Ltd (ISBN 185753381X). 248 pgs.
* Lawson, Eric and Jane Lawson. "The First Air Campaign, August 1914-November 1918" (1996)
* Leaman, Paul. "Fokker Dr.I Triplane: A World War One Legend" (2003). Classic Publications (ISBN 1903223288). 224 pgs.
* Lehmann, Ernst. "Zeppelin" ISBN 1601050663 365 pgs.
* McKee, Alexander. "The Friendless Sky" (1984). Academy Chicago Publishers (ISBN 0586058230). 256 pgs.
* Morrow, John. "German Air Power in World War I". Lincoln:
University of Nebraska Press, 1982. Contains design and production figures, as well as economic influences.
* Morrow, John H., Jr. "The Great War in the Air" (1993). Smithsonian Books (ISBN 1560982381). 464 pgs.
* O'Connor, Martin. "Air Aces of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, 1914-1918" (1986). Flying Machines Press (ISBN 1891268066). 338 pgs.
* O'Connor, Mike. "Airfields & Airmen: Cambrai (Battleground Europe)" (2003). Pen & Sword Books (ISBN 0850529581). 176 pgs.
* Outlet, Bernard Fitzsimons (Editor) /. "Warplanes & Air Battles Of World War I" (1973, 1988). Beekman House / Crescent (ISBN 0517130890). 160 pgs.
* Owers, Colin. "De Havilland Aircraft of World War I: Volume 1, D.H.1-D.H.4 (Great War Aircraft in Profile, Volume 5)" (2001). Flying Machines Press (ISBN 1891268171). 88 pgs.
* Revell, Alex. "Victoria Cross WW I: WWI Airmen and Their Aircraft" (1997). Flying Machines Press (ISBN 1891268007). 96 pgs.
* Richthofen, Manfred Von, Franks, Norman. "The Red Air Fighter" (1999). Stackpole Books (ISBN 1853673625). 192 pgs.
* Rickenbacker, Eddie V. "Fighting the Flying Circus: The Greatest True Air Adventure to Come Out of World War I" (2001). Doubleday Books (ISBN 0385505590). 324 pgs.
* Shores, Christopher, Franks, Norman, and Guest, Russell. "Above the Trenches Supplement: A complete record of the fighter aces and units of the British Empire air forces, 1915-1920" (1996). Grub Street (ISBN 1898697396). 112 pgs.
* Shores, Christopher, Franks, Norman, and Guest, Russell. "Above the trenches: A complete record of the fighter aces and units of the British Empire air forces, 1915-1920" (1990). Fortress Publications (ISBN 0919195113). 392 pgs.
* Shores, Christopher, Rolfe, Mark. "British and Empire Aces of World War I (Osprey Aircraft of the Aces No 45)" (2001). Osprey Publishing (UK) (ISBN 1841763772). 96 pgs.
* Simkins, Peter. "Air Fighting 1914-1918 (The Struggle for Air Superiority over the Western Front)" (1978). Imperial War Museum. 80 pgs.
* Smith, Adrian. "Mick Mannock, Fighter Pilot: Myth, Life and Politics (Studies in Military and Strategic History)" (2001). Palgrave MacMillan (ISBN 0333778987). 211 pgs.
* Staff, Vigilant, Sykes, Claud W., Franks, Norman. "German War Birds" (1994). Greenhill Books (ISBN 1853671649). 288 pgs.
* Thayer, Lucien H. "America's First Eagles" (1984). R James Bender Pub (ISBN 0912138246). 360 pgs.
* Treadwell, Terry C. "America's First Air War" (2000). MBI Publishing (ISBN 0760309868). 176 pgs.
* Vanwyngarden, Greg. "Richthofen's Flying Circus: Jagdgeschwader Nr 1 (Aviation Elite Units, 16)" (2004). Osprey Publishing (UK) (ISBN 1841767263). 128 pgs.
* Werner,Johannes. "Knight Of Germany:Oswald Boelcke,German Ace" (1991) ISBN 1853670995 256 pgs.
* Winter, Denis. "First of the Few". London: Allen Lane/Penguin, 1982. Coverage of the British air war, with extensive bibliographical notes.
* Wood, Alan C. "Aces and Airmen of Ww1" (2002). Brassey's Inc. ISBN 1857533801. 176 pgs.
* Woolley, Charles, Crawford, Bill. "Echoes of Eagles: A Son's Search for His Father and the Legacy of America's First Fighter Pilots" (2003). Dutton Books (ISBN 0525947574). 336 pgs.
* Haber, L. F. "The Poisonous Cloud: Chemical Warfare in the First World War" (1986);
* Palazzo, Albert. "Seeking Victory on the Western Front: The British Army and Chemical Warfare in World War I" (2000)
* John Abbatiello. "Anti-Submarine Warfare in World War I: British Naval Aviation and the Defeat of the U-Boats" (2005)
* Gray, Edwyn A. "The U-Boat War, 1914-1918" (1994)
* van der Vat, Dan. "The Atlantic Campaign." (1988). Connects submarine and antisubmarine operations between wars, and suggests a continuous war.
* Price, Alfred, Dr. "Aircraft" versus "the Submarine". Deals with technical developments, including the first dipping hydrophones.
* Thomas, Lowell. "Raiders Of The Deap" (1928,2004)
Fuller, J.F.C."Tanks in the Great War" 1920.
Guderian, Heinz. "Achtung! Panzer" (1937)
* Wilson, Dale E. "Treat'Em Rough!: The Birth of American Armor, 1917-20" (1989)
Popular histories and documentaries
* Keegan, John. "The First World War" (1999)
* Taylor, A. J. P. "The First World War: An Illustrated History", Hamish Hamilton, 1963
* Editors of "American Heritage". "History of WWI".
Simon & Schuster, 1964. popular
* Strachan, Hew ed. "The Oxford Illustrated History of the First World War", a collection of chapters from various scholars
* Toland, John. "No Man's Land. 1918 - The Last Year of the Great War" (1980)
* "The Great War", television documentary by the
* "Aces: A Story of the First Air War", written by George Pearson, historical advice by Brereton Greenhous and Philip Markham,
NFB, 1993. Argues aircraft created trench stalemate
Cultural, literary, artistic, memorial
* Cruickshank, John. "Variations on Catastrophe: Some French Responses to the Great War" (1982)
* Ekstein, Modris, "Rites of Spring: The Great War and the Birth of the Modern Age" (1989).
last = Fussell
first = Paul
title = The Great War and Modern Memory
publisher = Oxford University Press
date = November 6, 1975
location = New York
pages = 363 p.
id = ISBN 0-19-501918-0 , [http://www.whscms.org.uk/index.php?category_id=1994 classic study of WWI literature]
* Bairnsfather, Bruce "Bullets & Billets" (1916) . Cartoons.
* Hynes, Samuel. "A War Imagined: The First World War in English Culture" (1987)
*Mosse, George L. "Fallen Soldiers: Reshaping the Memory of the World Wars" (1991)
* Parfitt, George. "Fiction of the First World War: A Study" (London: Faber 1990).
*Raitt, Suzanne and Trudi Tateeds. "Women's Fiction and the Great War" (1997)
*Remarque, Erich Maria. "All Quiet On the Western Front"
*Robb, George. "British Culture And The First World War" (2002)
*Roshwald, Aviel. "European Culture in the Great War : The Arts, Entertainment and Propaganda, 1914-1918" (2002)
*Silkin, Jon. ed. "The Penguin Book of First World War Poetry" (2nd ed. 1997)
*Stallworthy Jon. "Great Poets of World War I: Poetry from the Great War" (2002), brief
*Vance, Jonathan F. "Death So Noble: Memory, Meaning, and the First World War" (1997)
*Verhey, Jeffrey. "The Spirit of 1914: Militarism, Myth and Mobilization in Germany" (2000)
* Viney, Nigel. "Images of Wartime: British Art and Artists of World War I" (1991)
* Watson, Janet S. K. "Fighting Different Wars: Experience, Memory, and the First World War in Britain" (2004).
* Winter, Jay. "Sites of Memory, Sites of Mourning: The Great War in European Cultural History" (1995),
*Wood, Richard and David Culbert. "Film and Propaganda in America: A Documentary History: World War I - Vol. 1" (1990)
Poetry and songs
On Receiving News of the War", (1914) poem by Isaac Rosenberg
In Flanders Fields", (1915) poem by John McCrae[http://www.english.emory.edu/LostPoets/McCrae.html]
Anthem for Doomed Youth", (1917) poem by Wilfred Owen
Dulce et Decorum Est",(1917) poem by Wilfred Owen
* "Disabled",(1917) poem by
Base details",(1918) poem by Siegfried Sassoon
* "They", (1918) poem by
And The Band Played Waltzing Matilda", (1972) song by Eric Bogle
Over There", (1917) theme song of the war by George M. Cohan
Books and novels
* "Le Feu (Under Fire)", (1916) novel by
* "Storm of Steel", autobiography of
Ernst Jünger. First published 1920 and revised several times through 1961
Rilla of Ingleside" (1920), novel by L.M. Montgomery, an account of the war as experienced by Canadian women of the time.
Three Soldiers" (1921) novel by John Dos Passos
Seven Pillars of Wisdom" (1922) by T. E. Lawrence
The Good Soldier Švejk" (1923) satirical novel by Jaroslav Hašek
All Quiet on the Western Front" (1929), novel written by Erich Maria Remarque
Death of a Hero" (1929) novel by Richard Aldington
A Farewell to Arms", (1929) novel by Ernest Hemingway
Goodbye to All That", (1929) autobiography of Robert Graves
Memoirs of an Infantry Officer",(1930) novel by Siegfried Sassoon
Testament of Youth", (1933) memoir by Vera Brittain
* "Un anno sull'altipiano (A Year on the Plateau), ("1938") "novel by"
* "" (1983), autobiography by Joseph N. Rizzi
* "Regeneration", (1991), "
The Eye in the Door", 1993; " The Ghost Road" novels by Pat Barker
The Great Gatsby" Fitzgerald
* "Birdsong" (1993), novel by
* "No Graves As Yet", (2003), first volume of a trilogy of novels by
Deafening" (2003), book written by Frances Itani
* "A Long, Long Way" (2005), novel by
To the Last Man" (2005), novel by Jeff Shaara
* "Turn Right at Istanbul" novel by Tony Wright
Films, plays, television series and mini-series
* "The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse" (1921), movie directed by Rex Ingram, based on a novel by
Vicente Blasco Ibáñez
* "Mare Nostrum" (1926), movie directed by Rex Ingram, based on a novel by Vicente Blasco Ibáñez
* "Wings" (1927), directed by
William A. Wellmantells the story about two fighter pilots, only silent movie to win the Academy Oscar.
Journey's End" (1928), play written by R. C. Sherriff
* "All Quiet on the Western Front" (1930), movie directed by
Lewis Milestone, based on the novel by Erich Maria Remarque(1929)
* "Hell's Angels" (1930), movie directed by
* "Grand Illusion" (1937), directed by
Sergeant York" (1941), movie directed by Howard Hawks
Yankee Doodle Dandy" (1942), directed by Michael Curtiz
Paths of Glory" (1957), movie directed by Stanley Kubrick, based on the novel by Humphrey Cobb(1935)
Marš na Drinu" (1961), Serbian war filmabout a Serbian artillery battalion in the Battle of Cer
* "Lawrence of Arabia" (1962), movie covering events surrounding
T. E. Lawrencein the pan-Arabian Theatre, starring Peter O'Toole, Alec Guinness, Anthony Quinn, and Omar Sharifand directed by David Lean
* " [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057801/ World War I] " (1964),
CBS Newsdocumentary narrated by Robert Ryan
* [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057753/ The Great War] (1964) TV series by
Correlli Barnettand others of [http://www.bbc.co.uk/ BBC]
*"Doctor Zhivago" (1965), movie by
David Lean, based on the novel by Boris Pasternak, deals with Russia's involvement in the war and how it led to that country's Revolution.
The Blue Max" (1966), movie directed by John Guillermin, titled after the Prussian military award, or Pour le Mérite
Oh! What a Lovely War"(1969), movie directed by Richard Attenborough, from the 1963 musical play by Joan Littlewood
Johnny Got His Gun" (1971), movie directed by Dalton Trumbo
* "Gallipoli" (1981), movie directed by
Observe the Sons of Ulster Marching Towards the Somme", (1985), play by Frank McGuinness
The Lighthorsemen" (1987), movie directed by Simon Wincer
Blackadder Goes Forth" (1989), TV series by Richard Curtisand Ben Elton
* "Regeneration" (1997), movie directed by
Gillies MacKinnon, based on the novel by Pat Barker(1991)
* "The Lost Battalion" (2001), movie and screenplay directed by
A Very Long Engagement" (2004), movie directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet, based on the novel by Sebastien Japrisot(1991)
Joyeux Noël" (2005), Based on the 1914 Christmas truce.
* "Passchendaele" (2006), movie directed by and starring
Flyboys" (2006), Movie directed by Tony Bill, tells the story of American pilots who volunteered for the French military before America entered World War I.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
List of World War II conferences — of the Allied forcesIn total Churchill attended 14 meetings, Roosevelt 12, Stalin 5.Code names for some of the major wartime conference meetings involving Roosevelt and later Truman had a partial naming sequence referring to devices or… … Wikipedia
List of World War II topics (L) — # L Absinthe # L Adroit class destroyer # L affiche rouge (Poem) # L Ambroisie # L Arpège # L Astrance # L Atelier de Joël Robuchon # L Entrecôte # L Hôtel # L Origine du monde # L 2 Grasshopper # L Day # L. D. Meyer # L. H. Clermont # L. Patrick … Wikipedia
List of World War II films — Below is an incomplete list of fictional feature films or mini series which feature events of World War II in the narrative. A separate list of full fledged TV series appears at the end. Contents 1 Restrictions 2 Films made during the war … Wikipedia
List of World War II electronic warfare equipment — This is a List of World War II electronic warfare equipment and code words and tactics derived directly from the use of electronic equipment.Equipment and code words*AI (Airborne Interception) British night fighter radars *Airborne Cigar (A.B.C.) … Wikipedia
List of World War II British naval radar — This page is a List of World War II British naval radar.NomenclatureThese sets were initially numbered as wireless telegraph (w/t) sets, but a distinguishing prefix of 2 was soon added. Metric sets were numbered in the 28x and 29x series. When… … Wikipedia
List of World War II aces from Germany — This is a list of fighter aces in World War II from Germany. For other countries see List of World War II aces by country Luftwaffe Rules of Confirmation The Luftwaffe had a very stringent approval process for the confirmation of aerial victories … Wikipedia
List of World War II topics (B) — # B 17 Flying Fortress (video game) # B 17 Flying Fortress # B 17, Queen of the Skies # B 24 Liberator # B 29 Superfortress # B Reactor # Błyskawica radiostation # Błyskawica submachine gun # Børge Mathiesen # BA 10 # BA 11 # BA 20 # BA 21 # BA… … Wikipedia
List of World War II topics (C) — # C 108 Flying Fortress # C 46 Commando # C 47 Skytrain # C 54 Skymaster # C 76 Caravan # C 87 Liberator Express # C 14 class missile boat # C Force # C. Douglas Dillon # C. Dupre # C. Farris Bryant # C. J. Bolin # C. P. Stacey # C. R. Boxer # C … Wikipedia
List of World War II topics (T) — # T 26 # T 27 # T 28 Super Heavy Tank # T 28 # T 34 variants # T 34 # T 35 # T 37 tank # T 38 tank # T 40 # T 43 tank # T 44 # T 50 tank # T 6 Texan variants # T 6 Texan # T 60 tank # T 70 # T G Building, Brisbane # T. E. Burridge # T. H. Jordan… … Wikipedia
List of World War II air aces — This is a list of the top World War II aces. Fighter aces in World War II had tremendously varying kill scores, affected as they were by many factors: the pilot s skill level, the performance of the airplane he flew and those he flew against, how … Wikipedia