- John Chamberlain (sculptor)
Rochester, Indiana, but raised in Chicago, John Chamberlain attended the Art Institute of Chicago(1951–52) and Black Mountain College(1955–56). He is best known for creating sculptures from old automobiles (or parts of) that bring the Abstract Expressioniststyle of painting into three dimensions. He currently lives and works in Sarasota, Florida[cite web |url=http://www.guggenheimcollection.org/site/artist_bio_29.html |title=Chamberlain |accessdate=2008-04-25|publisher=Guggenheim Museum ] . Since the 1950s, Chamberlain has worked with steel ribbons to create his sculptures. His works have been exhibited around the world and have been included in the São Paolo Bienal (1961, 1994), the Venice Biennale (1964), the Whitney Biennial (1973, 1987) and Documenta, Kassel, Germany (1982) and he has had over 100 solo shows, traveling exhibitions, and retrospectives. [citation | title= John Chamberlain Biography | publisher=ARTINFO | year=2008 | url= http://www.artinfo.com/artists/profile/biography/89/john-chamberlain/| accessdate=2008-04-22 ]
* John Chamberlain received a John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation Fellowship in both 1966 and 1977.
* In 1990 he became a member of the
American Academy and Institute of Arts and Lettersin New York.
* The Skowhegan School of Painting and Sculpture in Maine awarded him the 1993 Skowhegan Medal for Sculpture
* In 1993 he was honored with a Lifetime Achievement Award in Contemporary Sculpture from the International Sculpture Center, Washington, DC.
* In 1997 Chamberlain was named a recipient of The National Arts Club Artists Award, New York.
* In 1999 he received the Distinction in Sculpture Honor from the Sculpture Center, New York. [citation | title= John Chamberlain Biography | publisher=ARTINFO | year=2008 | url= http://www.artinfo.com/artists/profile/biography/89/john-chamberlain/| accessdate=2008-04-22 ]
*Busch, Julia M., [http://www.worldcatlibraries.org/wcpa/ow/4ed0b0bd878eaf2a.html "A Decade of Sculpture: the New Media in the 1960s"] (The Art Alliance Press: Philadelphia; [http://www.aupresses.com/ Associated University Presses] :
London, 1974) ISBN 0-87982-007-1
* [http://www.guggenheimcollection.org/site/artist_bio_29.html Guggenheim Museum biography]
* [http://galerieleu.de/artists/john_chamberlain/ biography and literature]
* [http://www.chinati.org/visit/collection/johnchamberlain.php/The Chinati Foundation]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
John Chamberlain — is the name of: John Chamberlain (golfer) (born 1987), English Golfer John Chamberlain (sculptor) (born 1927), American sculptor John Chamberlain (journalist) (1903–1995), American journalist and editor John Chamberlain (letter writer)… … Wikipedia
Chamberlain (surname) — Chamberlain is the surname of: Alec Chamberlain, English football player Alexander Francis Chamberlain, Canadian anthropologist Alex Oxlade Chamberlain, English Football player Ardwight Chamberlain, voice actor Austen Chamberlain (1863–1937),… … Wikipedia
Chamberlain Memorial — The Chamberlain Memorial. The Chamberlain Memorial was erected in Chamberlain Square, Birmingham, England on October 20, 1880, to commemorate the public service of Joseph Chamberlain, who was present at the inauguration ceremony. Joseph… … Wikipedia
John McCormack (tenor) — This article is about the Irish tenor. For other people of the same name, see John McCormack (disambiguation). McCormack in New York in 1910 John Count McCormack, … Wikipedia
Chamberlain, John — ▪ American sculptor born April 16, 1927, Rochester, Ind., U.S. U.S. Abstract Expressionist sculptor whose work is characterized by an emotional approach to concept and execution. After study at the Art Institute of Chicago, where he… … Universalium
Chamberlain, John (Angus) — born April 16, 1927, Rochester, Ind., U.S. U.S. sculptor. He studied at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago and at Black Mountain College. In 1957 he had his first one man exhibition in Chicago. His Abstract Expressionist sculptures are… … Universalium
School of the Art Institute of Chicago — Location 37 South Wabash Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60603 Information Type private, non profit corporation Established 1866 … Wikipedia
1927 in art — List of years in ArtEvents*Awards*Archibald Prize: George W. Lambert Mrs Murdoch Works*Max Ernst Forest and Dove *George Grosz Self Portrait, Warning *Edward Hopper Automat *Gaston Lachaise Floating Figure *Fernand Léger Nude on a Red Background… … Wikipedia
Sculpture — Sculptor redirects here. For the constellation, see Sculptor (constellation). For other uses, see Sculpture (disambiguation). The Dying Gaul, a Roman marble copy of a Hellenistic work of the late 3rd century BCE Capitoline Museums, Rome … Wikipedia
List of American artists 1900 and after — This is a list by date of birth of historically recognized American fine artists known for the creation of artworks that are primarily visual in nature, including traditional media such as painting, sculpture, photography, and printmaking, as… … Wikipedia