- BASIC Stamp
The BASIC Stamp is a
microcontrollerwith a small, specialized BASIC interpreter ( PBASIC) built into ROM. It is made by Parallax, Inc. and has been quite popular with electronics hobbyists since the early 1990s due to its low threshold of learning and ease of use (due to its simple BASIC language).
Although the BASIC Stamp has the form of a DIP chip, it is in fact a small
Printed Circuit Boardthat contains the essential elements of a microprocessor system:
* A Microcontroller containing the
CPU, a built in ROM containing the BASIC interpreter, and various peripherals
* Memory (a serial
* A clock, usually in the form of a
* A power supply
* External input and output
The end result is that a hobbyist can connect a 9 V battery to a BASIC Stamp and have a complete system. A connection to a
personal computerallows the programmer to download software to the BASIC Stamp, which is stored in the onboard memory device. This memory stays programmed until it is erased or reprogrammed (the memory remains intact even when the power is removed).
The BASIC Stamp is programmed in a variant of the
BASIClanguage, called PBASIC. PBASIC, incorporates common microcontroller functions, including PWM, serial communications, I²Cand 1-Wirecommunications, communications with common LCDdriver circuits, hobby servo pulse trains, pseudo-sine wave frequencies, and the ability to time an RC circuitwhich may be used to detect an analog value.
Once the program has been written, it is
tokenizedand sent to the chip though a serial cable.
There are currently four variants of the interpreter:
# BASIC Stamp 1 (BS1),
# BASIC Stamp 2 (BS2), with six sub-variants:
# Javelin Stamp
# Spin Stamp.
The BS2 sub-variants feature more memory, faster execution speed, additional specialized PBASIC commands, extra I/O pins, etc, in comparison to the original BS2 model. While the BS1 and BS2 use a PIC, the remaining BASIC Stamp 2 variants use an
The third variant is the Javelin Stamp. This module uses a subset of
Sun Microsystems' Java programming language instead of Parallax's PBASIC, it does not include any networking facilities.
The fourth variant is the Spin Stamp. The module is based on the
Parallax Propellerand therefore uses the SPIN programming language instead of PBASIC.
A number of companies now make "clones" of the BASIC Stamp with additional features, such as faster execution,
Analog-to-digital converters and hardware-based PWM which can run in the background. However, while many use the same pinout as the BASIC Stamp in order to be hardware-compatible in larger-scale projects, they are not necessarily software-compatible.
The Parallax Propeller is gradually accumulating software libraries which give it similar functionality to the BASIC Stamp, however there is no uniform list of which PBASIC facilities now have Spin equivalents.
Make Controller Kit
* [http://www.basicmicro.com BasicATOM pin compatible with the 24-pin BS2]
* [http://www.c-stamp.com C Stamp 48 pin only]
* [http://www.comfiletech.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=139 CB220/320, an AtMega128/2561 based board, pin compatible with the 24-pin BS2]
* [http://www.coridiumcorp.com/ARMexpress.php ARM based Stamp, pin compatible with the 24-pin BS2]
* [http://www.emesystems.com/BS2pbasic25.htm "Comparing PBASIC 2.5 control structures to the old PBASIC"] – By Tracy Allen, EME Systems, 2003
* [http://forums.parallax.com Parallax Forums] – Discussion Forum
* [http://www.parallax.com Parallax, Inc.] – Corporate website, home of the Basic Stamp and Basic Stamp 2
* [http://www.zbasic.net ZBasic Microcontrollers] – several AVR-based Stamp replacements, pin compatible with the 24-pin BS2
* [http://www.arrickrobotics.com/arobot/ Mobile robot] – utilizing the BS2 chip, also the subject of "Building Robots for Dummies"
* [http://www.andybrain.com/extras/scribbler-robot-review.htm "Independent review of the Scribbler Robot, a programmable intelligent robot utilizing the BASIC Stamp 2 Microcontroller"] – By Andy Kaiser
* [http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/article/IlBASICStamp2.pdf "Il BASIC Stamp® 2 - Un microcontrollore dalle dimensioni di un francobollo"] – By Giuseppe Francesco Indelli, published in the Italian language as an introductory article to the BASIC Stamp 2 microcontroller.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
BASIC Stamp — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Chip de BASIC Stamp 2 mostrando los principales componentes BASIC Stamp es un microcontrolador que posee un interprete especializado de BASIC que se encuentra en su memoria ROM. Este microcontrolador es fabricado por … Wikipedia Español
BASIC Stamp — (BASIC Briefmarke) ist die geschützte Bezeichnung für eine Familie von programmierten Mikrocontroller Bausteinen der Firma Parallax. Die erste BASIC Stamp kam 1992 auf den Markt und vereinte einen programmierten PIC Mikrocontroller mit der… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Stamp — A stamp is a distinctive mark or impression made upon an object, for instance those made on a piece of paper and used to indicate the prepayment of a fee or tax. Types of stamps include:* Postage stamps, used on mail * Revenue stamps, often used… … Wikipedia
Stamp collecting — is the collecting of postage stamps and related objects, such as covers (envelopes or packages with stamps on them). It is one of the world s most popular hobbies, with estimates of the number of collectors ranging up to 20 million in the United… … Wikipedia
Stamp vending machine — A stamp vending machine (SVM) is a mechanical, electrical or electro mechanical device which can be used to automatically vend postage stamps to users in exchange for a pre determined amount of money, normally in coin. Most SVMs were positioned… … Wikipedia
List of BASIC dialects by platform — List of BASIC dialects by platform: This is a list of dialects of the BASIC computer programming language, sorted into groups for better conceptual organization.There is also an alphabetical list of BASIC dialects. These two lists should contain… … Wikipedia
List of BASIC dialects — This article gives an alphabetical list of BASIC dialects mdash;a flat list of interpreted and compiled variants of the BASIC programming language. The dialects platform(s) (that is, the computer models and operating systems) are given in… … Wikipedia
Liste der BASIC-Dialekte — Aufgrund der seit Jahrzehnten bestehenden Popularität der Computer Programmiersprache BASIC existieren zahlreiche BASIC Implementierungen auf einer Vielzahl von Plattformen. Entsprechend den sehr unterschiedlichen Umgebungen und Einsatzzwecken… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Postage stamp — A postage stamp is an adhesive paper evidence of pre paying a fee for postal services. Usually a small paper rectangle or square that is attached to an envelope, the postage stamp signifies that the person sending the letter or package may have… … Wikipedia
Breast cancer research stamp — The breast cancer research stamp is a semi postal non denominated postage stamp issued by the United States Postal Service priced slightly higher than the standard first class letter rate. The extra cost goes towards breast cancer research. The… … Wikipedia