- David Baker (biochemist)
David Baker Born October 6, 1962 Notable awards Overton Prize
David Baker (born October 6, 1962 in Seattle, Washington) is an American biochemist and computational biologist who studies methods to predict the three-dimensional structures of proteins. He is a Professor of Biochemistry at the University of Washington, where he is the principal investigator of the 30+ member Baker laboratory. He is a Howard Hughes Medical Institute investigator, and is also a member of the United States National Academy of Sciences.
The Baker laboratory developed the Rosetta algorithm for ab initio protein structure prediction, which has been extended to a distributed computing project called Rosetta@Home and Foldit. The project aims to produce structural models for protein complexes as well as individual polypeptide chains. The Baker group participates regularly and is recognized for expertise in the CASP structure prediction experiment using ab initio methods, including both manually assisted and automated variants of the Rosetta protocol.
Members of the Baker group are also active in the field of protein design; they are recognized as the first group to have designed a protein, known as Top7, with an entirely novel fold.
Baker did his graduate work in biochemistry at the University of California, Berkeley in the laboratory of Randy Schekman, where he worked predominantly on protein transport and trafficking in yeast. He did his postdoctoral work with David Agard of UCSF.
Although well known for development of methods for computational prediction of protein structure and function, Baker is focused on the use of computational methods to drive experimental assessment of biology and therefore the Baker laboratory maintains an active experimental biochemistry group.
Baker was elected a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences in 2009. He is married to Hannele Ruohola-Baker, another biochemist at UW. They have two children, Benjamin and Amanda, both of whom are currently attending Garfield High School in Seattle.
- Vincent, J. J.; Tai, C. H.; Sathyanarayana, B. K.; Lee, B. (2005). "Assessment of CASP6 predictions for new and nearly new fold targets". Proteins: Structure, Function, and Bioinformatics 61: 67–83. doi:10.1002/prot.20722. PMID 16187347.
- Bradley, P.; Malmström, L.; Qian, B.; Schonbrun, J.; Chivian, D.; Kim, D. E.; Meiler, J.; Misura, K. M. S. et al. (2005). "Free modeling with Rosetta in CASP6". Proteins: Structure, Function, and Bioinformatics 61: 128–134. doi:10.1002/prot.20729. PMID 16187354.
- Kuhlman, B.; Dantas, G.; Ireton, G.; Varani, G.; Stoddard, B.; Baker, D. (2003). "Design of a novel globular protein fold with atomic-level accuracy". Science 302 (5649): 1364–1368. Bibcode 2003Sci...302.1364K. doi:10.1126/science.1089427. PMID 14631033.
- Gray, J.; Moughon, S.; Wang, C.; Schueler-Furman, O.; Kuhlman, B.; Rohl, C.; Baker, D. (2003). "Protein-protein docking with simultaneous optimization of rigid-body displacement and side-chain conformations". Journal of molecular biology 331 (1): 281–299. doi:10.1016/S0022-2836(03)00670-3. PMID 12875852.
- Bonneau, R.; Tsai, J.; Ruczinski, I.; Chivian, D.; Rohl, C.; Strauss, C. E. M.; Baker, D. (2001). "Rosetta in CASP4: Progress in ab initio protein structure prediction". Proteins: Structure, Function, and Genetics 45: 119–126. doi:10.1002/prot.1170. PMID 11835488.
- ROBETTA prediction server
- Baker, D.; Hicke, L.; Rexach, M.; Schleyer, M.; Schekman, R. (1988). "Reconstitution of SEC gene product-dependent intercompartmental protein transport". Cell 54 (3): 335–344. doi:10.1016/0092-8674(88)90196-1. PMID 3293799.
- Baker, D.; Wuestehube, L.; Schekman, R.; Botstein, D.; Segev, N. (1990). "GTP-binding Ypt1 protein and Ca2+ function independently in a cell-free protein transport reaction". Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 87 (1): 355–359. Bibcode 1990PNAS...87..355B. doi:10.1073/pnas.87.1.355. PMC 53262. PMID 2104983. http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?tool=pmcentrez&artid=53262.
- ^ http://depts.washington.edu/bakerpg/drupal/ Baker laboratory website
- ^ http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/ Rosetta@home project homepage
- ^ Hand, E. (2010). "Citizen science: People power". Nature 466 (7307): 685–687. doi:10.1038/466685a. PMID 20686547.
- ^ Cooper, S.; Khatib, F.; Treuille, A.; Barbero, J.; Lee, J.; Beenen, M.; Leaver-Fay, A.; Baker, D. et al. (2010). "Predicting protein structures with a multiplayer online game". Nature 466 (7307): 756–760. Bibcode 2010Natur.466..756C. doi:10.1038/nature09304. PMC 2956414. PMID 20686574. http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?tool=pmcentrez&artid=2956414.
- ^ "Book of Members, 1780-2010: Chapter B". American Academy of Arts and Sciences. http://www.amacad.org/publications/BookofMembers/ChapterB.pdf. Retrieved 5 May 2011.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
David Baker — may refer to: Scientists, Engineers, Architects David Baker (biochemist), American biochemist David H. Baker, American food chemist, winner of the Charles A. Black Award David A. Baker, aerospace engineer, co author of the Mars Direct proposal,… … Wikipedia
performing arts — arts or skills that require public performance, as acting, singing, or dancing. [1945 50] * * * ▪ 2009 Introduction Music Classical. The last vestiges of the Cold War seemed to thaw for a moment on Feb. 26, 2008, when the unfamiliar strains … Universalium
List of University of British Columbia people — This is a list of alumni from the University of British Columbia. This is an incomplete list, which may never be able to satisfy particular standards for completeness. You can help by expanding it with reliably sourced entries. Contents 1 Notable … Wikipedia
List of biologists — This is a list of notable biologists. It includes zoologists, botanists, ornithologists, malacologists, naturalists and other specialities. See also: *List of botanists by author abbreviation *List of zoologists by author abbreviation. *List of… … Wikipedia
Deaths in 1997 — For earlier deaths, see Deaths in 1996, 1995, 1994, 1993, 1992 1991, ... For later deaths, see Deaths in 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, ... Contents 1 … Wikipedia
Nobel Prizes — ▪ 2009 Introduction Prize for Peace The 2008 Nobel Prize for Peace was awarded to Martti Ahtisaari, former president (1994–2000) of Finland, for his work over more than 30 years in settling international disputes, many involving ethnic,… … Universalium
religion — religionless, adj. /ri lij euhn/, n. 1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and… … Universalium
Deaths in January 2010 — Contents 1 January 2010 1.1 31 1.2 30 1.3 29 … Wikipedia
List of Nobel laureates by university affiliation — This list of Nobel laureates by university affiliation shows the university affiliation (either as a student, alumnus or faculty) of winners of the Nobel Prize. Universities are listed in order of number of affiliated Nobel Prize winners, from… … Wikipedia
Deaths in August 2010 — Contents 1 August 2010 1.1 31 1.2 30 1.3 29 … Wikipedia