- Cornell Fleischer
Cornell Fleischer is the Kanuni Suleyman Professor of Ottoman and Modern Turkish Studies at the University of Chicago.
Dr. Fleischer received his PhD from Princeton University in 1982. After leaving Princeton, Dr. Fleischer held teaching posts at Washington University in St. Louis and the Ohio State University. In 1988, Dr. Fleischer was awarded a genius grant under the prestigious MacArthur Fellows Program. In 1993, Dr. Fleischer joined the faculty of the University of Chicago. Professor Fleischer focuses primarily on Ottoman history, specializing in the Age of Suleyman. Currently he is working on a major work on Suleyman the Lawgiver as well as a number of papers dealing with the time period. In addition, he has begun work on Apocalypticism and its relationship to his field of study. Professor Fleischer also sits on the editorial board of a number of publications, including the Cambridge Studies in Early Modern History and the International Journal of Middle Eastern Studies. Dr. Fleischer is also a past director of the University Chicago's Center for Middle Eastern Studies and a member of the editorial board of the Historians of the Ottoman Empire.
- "Shadows of Shadows: Prophecy in Politics in 1530s Istanbul," International Journal of Turkish Studies 13 (2007): 51-62.
- "A Different Sort of Scholar: 'Abd al-Rahman al-Bistami (d. 1454) and the Science of Letters," Festschrift Hans Georg Majer (Munich, forthcoming, 2000).
- “Seer to the Sultan: Haydar-i Remmal and Sultan Süleyman,” in Cultural Horizons. A Festschrift in Honor of Talat S. Halman, ed. Jayne L. Warner. (Syracuse: Syracuse University Press, 2001), pp. 290-99.
- "The Lawgiver as Messiah: The Making of the Imperial Image in the Reign of Süleymân," in Soliman le magnifique et son temps, ed. Gilles Veinstein (Paris: La Documentation Française, 1992), pp. 159-77
- "Imperialism and the Apocalypse, 1450-1550," (Annales, forthcoming).
- "Between the Lines: Realities of Scribal Life in the Sixteenth Century," in Studies in Ottoman History in Honour of V. L., eds. Colin Heywood and Colin Imber (Istanbul: The Isis Press, 1994), pp. 45-61.
- "Secretaries Dreams: Augury and Angst in the Ottoman Scribal Service," Armagan: Festschrift fur Andreas Tietze. Prague, 1994.
- "From Şeyhzade Korkud to Mustafa Âli: Cultural Origins of the Ottoman Nasihatname," in IIIrd Congress on the Social and Political History of Turkey. Princeton University 24-26 August 1983, eds. Heath W. Lowry and Ralph S. Hattox (Istanbul: The Isis Press, 1990), pp. 67-77.
- Bureaucrat and Intellectual in the Ottoman Empire: The Historian Mustafa Âli (1541-1600). Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 1986.
- Center for Middle Eastern Studies at the University of Chicago
- Islamic scholars
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
См. также в других словарях:
List of University of Chicago people — The following is a list of people affiliated with the University of Chicago, including alumni, current and former faculty members, students, and others. The University of Chicago was founded in 1890 by American industrialist and philanthropist… … Wikipedia
Mustafa Âlî — Gelibolulu Mustafa Âlî bin Ahmed bin Abdülmevlâ Çelebi (born 1541 Gallipoli; died 1600 in Jeddah) was an Ottoman historian and bureaucrat of Croatian ancestry. He wrote the earliest known biography of Ahmed Bican. He also wrote poetry and… … Wikipedia
Center for Middle Eastern Studies at the University of Chicago — The Center for Middle Eastern Studies at the University of Chicago is a National Resource Center for the study of a region extending from Morocco in the West to Kazakhstan in the East. As a result, this Area Center covers some of the most… … Wikipedia
Philip James DeVries — Infobox Scientist name = Philip J. DeVries |200px image width = 200px caption = Phil DeVries field = Biologist work institution = University of New Orleans awards = MacArthur Fellowship (1988) Geraldine R. Dodge Foundation Fellowship (1993)… … Wikipedia
Islamic studies by author (non-Muslim or academic) — Included are prominent authors who have made studies concerning Islam, the religion and its civilization, except for those studies of Islam produced by Muslim authors meant primarily for a Muslim audience. Herein most of the authors from the… … Wikipedia
Molothrus ater — Tordo cabecicafé Macho adulto … Wikipedia Español
Bobby Driscoll — Infobox actor name = Bobby Driscoll imagesize = 200px caption = Bobby Driscoll, ca. 1949 birthname = Robert Cletus Driscoll birthdate = birth date|1937|3|3| birthplace = Cedar Rapids, Iowa deathdate = death date and age|1968|3|30|1937|3|3|… … Wikipedia
Liste bekannter Forscher zur antiken Philosophie — Die Liste bekannter Forscher zur antiken Philosophie erfasst Gelehrte vor allem aus den Bereichen der Philosophie und Philosophiegeschichte, der Klassischen Philologie und der Alten Geschichte, der Theologie und der Politikwissenschaft, aber auch … Deutsch Wikipedia
Paramount Pictures — « Paramount » redirige ici. Pour les autres significations, voir Paramount (homonymie). Logo de la Paramount Pictures … Wikipédia en Français
Copyright law of the United States — The copyright law of the United States governs the legally enforceable rights of creative and artistic works under the laws of the United States. Copyright law in the United States is part of federal law, and is authorized by the U.S.… … Wikipedia