- The Hour of Bewilderbeast
The Hour of Bewilderbeast Studio album by Badly Drawn Boy Released June 26, 2000 Genre Indie rock
Length 63:25 Label XL Recordings/Twisted Nerve Records Producer Badly Drawn Boy, Gary Wilkinson, Joe Robinson, Ken Nelson Badly Drawn Boy chronology The Hour of Bewilderbeast
About A Boy
The Hour of Bewilderbeast is an album that was released by Badly Drawn Boy in 2000 (see 2000 in music). The album won the 2000 Mercury Prize. The album featured members of Alfie and Doves as backing musicians.
The cover art, produced by Andy Votel, is loosely based on Leonardo Da Vinci's drawing "Vitruvian Man". The original art also featured Woody Allen, however his picture had to be removed due to copyright issues.
Other modifications to the album include the removal of a selection of lyrics from the track "Magic in the Air." The lyrics were replaced by an instrumental after hip hop artist Taja Sevelle claimed they were too similar to those in her single "Love Is Contagious."
Reception and legacy
Professional ratings Review scores Source Rating Allmusic  Robert Christgau (A-)  musicOMH (Positive)  NME  Pitchfork Media (8.6/10)  Spin (5/10) 
The Hour of Bewilderbeast has received mostly positive reviews. On the review aggregate site Metacritic, the album has a score of 78 out of 100, indicating "generally favorable reviews." Several reviewers compared the album to Beck and Elliott Smith.
Allmusic's John Bush praised the album, writing "Despite all attempts to sabotage his songwriting and production with innumerable experimental tidbits, songs within a song, and (seemingly) tossed-off arrangements, Damon Gough has to face the fact that he wrote and produced over a dozen excellent songs of baroque folk-pop for his album debut, and the many gems can't help but shine through all the self-indulgence." Bush also praised Gough's use of humor in the lyrics. musicOMH's Michael Hubbard also gave the album a positive review, writing "This album deserves to do well for many more reasons than the act's name, excellent though it is. It is light, breezy and atmospheric, a surprise is set loose with every track and even the title is marvellous." Brent DiCrescenzo of Pitchfork Media described the album as "loose" and "scatterbrain," but nevertheless praised the album, writing "Piano, strings, harps, and Wurlitzer attach insect wings to the lovely songs. They'll swarm and pester your head for days. With this concise tour through the gentler side of British songwriting history... Badly Drawn Boy proves what shallow saps American liberal arts majors can be behind a guitar."
Spin's Barney Hoskyns, on the other hand, gave the album a more mixed review, writing "Gough's dewy little tunes are mere scribblings in the margins of alt-folk's dog-eared hook-book, while his too-cool-to-care singing is drip-dry dreary." Hoskyns continued: "Stand The Hour of Bewilderbeast next to Elliott Smith's Figure 8 for a few bars and Gough starts to look like an imposter."
The Hour of Bewilderbeast has appeared on a few end of year lists. Pitchfork Media ranked the album #18 on its list of the top 20 albums of 2000. NME ranked the album #4 on its list of the 50 best albums of 2000. In addition, the album received the 2000 Mercury Prize, a prize Gough was favored to win. When Gough received the prize, he tossed the prize money on the ground and said: "I always assumed I was never going to win because good things don't happen to good people normally."
All music composed by Badly Drawn Boy (Damon Gough).
No. Title Length 1. "The Shining" 5:18 2. "Everybody's Stalking" 3:39 3. "Bewilder" 0:48 4. "Fall in a River" 2:17 5. "Stone on the Water" 3:58 6. "Another Pearl" 4:27 7. "Body Rap" 0:45 8. "Once Around the Block" 3:44 9. "This Song" 1:32 10. "Bewilderbeast" 3:30 11. "Magic in the Air" 3:43 12. "Cause a Rockslide" 5:55 13. "Pissing in the Wind" 4:19 14. "Blistered Heart" 1:50 15. "Disillusion" 5:19 16. "Say It Again" 4:41 17. "Epitaph" 3:50
The following people contributed to The Hour of Bewilderbeast:
- Badly Drawn Boy (Damon Gough) – vocals, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, piano, lead guitar, bass guitar, keyboards, drum machine, tambourine, handclaps, whistling, slide guitar, harmonica, Wurlitzer electric piano, lead keyboards, organ solo, drum machine organs, percussion, crash cymbal, vibraphone, xylophone, harp, string arrangement, sound effects
- Matt McGeever – cello, handclaps
- Sam Morris – bass, keyboards, French horn, handclaps
- Ian Smith – drums, electric guitar, percussion, vibraphone, handclaps
- Joe Robinson – drum programming, loops, theremin, effects, sound effects
- Andy Votel – drum programming, effects, piano, keyboards, strings samples, samples
- Adrian Dacre – drums
- Sean Kelly – drums, handclaps
- Ian Rainford – handclaps
- Jez Williams – electric guitar, slide guitar
- Jimi Goodwin – bass
- Andy Williams – drums
- Martin Rebelski – Wurlitzer electric piano, clavinet, keyboards
- Gary Wilkinson – keyboards, drum programming, sirens, noises
- Paul Taylor – string arrangements
- Sophie Williams – handclaps
- Derrick Santini – handclaps
- Spencer Birtwhistle – drums
- Northern New Orleans Brass Band – horns
- Clare Hewitt – backing vocals
Chart (2000) Peak
UK Albums Chart 13 US Billboard Heatseekers 36 US Billboard Independent Albums 23
Year Song Peak positions UK
2000 "Another Pearl" 41 2000 "Disillusion" 26 2000 "Once Around the Block" 27 2000 "Pissing in the Wind" 22
- ^ 2000 Shortlist. Mercury Prize. Retrieved 23 June 2011
- ^ a b Badly Drawn Boy – The Hour Of Bewilderbeast. Discogs. Retrieved 23 June 2011
- ^ a b Talbot, Michael (May 2002). The Business of Music. Liverpool University Press. p. 197. ISBN 9780853235385. "On 7 October New Musical Express noted: 'Badly Drawn Boy aka Damon Gough has been forced to release a new pressing of his debut album, The Hour of the Bewilderbeast, after major publishing company BMG objected to the use of a lyrics from Taja Sevelle's 1987 hit "Love is Contagious"... The Mercury Prize winner has also changed the artwork on... Bewilderbeast for its American release. The cover - a collage by Gough himself, including a picture of Woody Allen - used images without the copyright owners' prior consent'"
- ^ THE BOY GETS DISILLUSIONED. NME. 10 August 2000. Retrieved 23 June 2011
- ^ a b c Bush, John. The Hour of Bewilderbeast. Allmusic. Retrieved 22 July 2011.
- ^ Christgau, Robert. CG: badly. robertchristgau.com. Retrieved 22 July 2011.
- ^ a b Hubbard, Michael. Badly Drawn Boy - The Hour of Bewilderbeast. musicOMH. Retrieved 22 July 2011.
- ^ NME Album Reviews - The Hour of Bewilderbeast. NME 23 June 2000. Retrieved 22 July 2011.
- ^ a b c DiCrescenzo, Brent. Badly Drawn Boy: The Hour of Bewilderbeast. Pitchfork Media. 30 September 2000. Retrieved 22 July 2011.
- ^ a b Hoskyns, Barney (December 2000). "Badly Drawn Boy - The Hour of Bewilderbeast". Spin 16 (12). ISSN 0886-3032. http://books.google.com/books?id=aPe2ZKjsEBIC&pg=PT28&lpg=PT28&dq=%22hour+of+bewilderbeast%22+spin&source=bl&ots=2tCGpbi9Eh&sig=99NGci0DjKm_XYKgKmyt1Iex2ys&hl=en&ei=DJkpTvepI8vpgAfcqtSECw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CBsQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false.
- ^ Critic Reviews for The Hour of Bewilderbeast. Metacritic. Retrieved 23 June 2011
- ^ Pitchfork Staff. Top 20 Albums of 2000. Pitchfork Media. 1 January 2001. Retrieved 22 July 2011.
- ^ A decade in music - 50 best albums of 2000. NME. Retrieved 22 July 2011.
- ^ Mercury joy for Badly Drawn Boy. BBC. 13 September 2000. Retrieved 22 July 2011.
- ^ a b "BADLY DRAWN BOY - The Official Charts Company". The Official Charts Company. http://www.theofficialcharts.com/artist/_/badly%20drawn%20boy/. Retrieved 23 June 2011.
- ^ a b "The Hour of the Bewilderbeast - Charts". Allmusic. http://www.allmusic.com/album/the-hour-of-bewilderbeast-r491948/charts-awards. Retrieved 10 June 2011.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
The Shining (song) — There is a song named The Shining in each of these albums: *The Hour of Bewilderbeast by Badly Drawn Boy *Redemption Process by Anorexia Nervosa … Wikipedia
Badly Drawn Boy discography — The following is a list of albums, singles and other songs by Badly Drawn BoyAlbums* The Hour of Bewilderbeast June 26, 2000) Chart Position:#13 (UK) * About a Boy (April 8, 2002) Chart Position:#6 (UK) * Have You Fed the Fish? (November 4, 2002) … Wikipedia
Badly Drawn Boy — Background information Birth name Damon Gough Born 2 Octo … Wikipedia
Mercury Prize — Страна … Википедия
Badly Drawn Boy — Pour les articles homonymes, voir BDB. Badly Drawn Boy … Wikipédia en Français
Parachutes — Parachutes … Википедия
Badly Drawn Boy — (* 2. Oktober 1969 in Manchester, England als Damon Gough) ist ein britischer Musiker und Songwriter, der eine Folk/Pop Mischung spielt. Sein Künstlername stammt von einer Figur aus der Zeichentrickserie Jamie and his Magic Ball. Diese Serie… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Badly Drawn Boy — Badly Drawn Boy … Википедия
Badly Drawn Boy — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Badly Drawn Boy Badly Drawn Boy, en 2005. Información personal … Wikipedia Español
2000 in music — See also: * 2000 in music (UK) * * TOC Events*John Tavener is knighted in the New Year s Honours List. *Gary Glitter is released from jail in January, two months before his sentence for sexual offences ends. *January 1 At exactly midnight EST in… … Wikipedia