- Circular knitting
Circular knitting or knitting in the round is a form of knitting that creates a seamless tube. When knitting circularly, the knitting is cast on and the circle of stitches is joined. Knitting is worked in rounds (the equivalent of rows in flat knitting) in a spiral. Originally, circular knitting was done using a set of four or five double-pointed needles. Later, circular needles were invented, which can also be used to knit in the round: the circular needle looks like two short knitting needles connected by a cable between them. Longer circular needles can be used to produce narrow tubes of knitting for socks, mittens, and other items using the Magic Loop technique. Machines also produce circular knitting; double bed machines can be set up to knit on the front bed in one direction then the back bed on the return, creating a knitted tube. Specialized knitting machines for sock-knitting use individual latch-hook needles to make each stitch in a round frame.
Many types of sweaters are traditionally knit in the round. Planned openings (arm holes, necks, cardigan fronts) are temporarily knitted with extra stitches, reinforced if necessary. Then the extra stitches are cut to create the opening, and are stitched with a sewing machine to prevent unraveling. This technique is called steeking.
- Zimmermann, Elizabeth. (1972). Knitting Without Tears. New York: Simon and Schuster. (Reprint Edition ISBN 0-684-13505-1)
- Rutt, Richard (2003). A History of Handknitting. Loveland, CO: Interweave Press. (Reprint Edition ISBN 1-931499-37-3)
- Hiatt, June Hemmons. (1989). The Principles of Knitting: Methods and Techniques of Hand Knitting. New York: Simon and Schuster. ISBN 978-0671552336
- Allen, Pam, Trisha Malcolm, Rich Tennant, and Cheryl Fall. (2002) Knitting for Dummies. New York: Hungry Minds, Inc. ISBN 978-0764553950
- Breiter, Barbara, and Gail Diven (2003) The Complete Idiot's Guide to Knitting and Crocheting Illustrated, 2nd Edition. New York: Alpha Books. ISBN 978-1592570898
- "Large and Small Diameter Circular Knitting videos" from KnittingHelp
- "How to knit with one circular" from WeebleKnits
- "How to knit with two circulars" from WeebleKnits
- "How to knit small circumferences using one long circular needle" from WeebleKnits
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
circular knitting — 1. a technique of knitting in circular or tubular form with curved or straight needles. 2. (in machine knitting) a process of knitting tubular and seamless fabrics by using special needles and shaping the fabric by varying the tension or length… … Universalium
circular knitting — 1. a technique of knitting in circular or tubular form with curved or straight needles. 2. (in machine knitting) a process of knitting tubular and seamless fabrics by using special needles and shaping the fabric by varying the tension or length… … Useful english dictionary
circular knitting machine — noun : a machine with needles and yarn feeds arranged in a circle for knitting fabrics, hosiery, sweaters, and underwear … Useful english dictionary
Knitting — Knit redirects here. See also KNIT and Knitted fabric. Knitting is a method by which thread or yarn may be turned into cloth. Knitting consists of loops called stitches pulled through each other. The active stitches are held on a needle until… … Wikipedia
Knitting needle — Bamboo knitting needles A … Wikipedia
circular-knit — adjective knitted in tubular form circular knit sweaters without seams • Similar to: ↑seamless * * * | ̷ ̷ ̷ ̷ ̷ ̷| ̷ ̷ adjective : knitted in tubular form by machine and usually later shaped or cut circular knit sweaters and seamless hosiery… … Useful english dictionary
circular-knit — /serr kyeuh leuhr nit /, adj. noting, pertaining to, or made of a fabric made by circular knitting. Cf. flat knit. * * * … Universalium
knitting — /nit ing/, n. 1. the act of a person or thing that knits. 2. the act of forming a fabric by looping a continuous yarn. 3. knitted work. 4. stick or tend to one s knitting, a. to mind one s own business: Don t worry about my work just tend to your … Universalium
knitting machine — Machine for textile and garment production. Flatbed machines may be hand operated or power driven, and, by selection of colour, type of stitch, cam design, and Jacquard device (see Jacquard loom), almost unlimited variety is possible. Modern… … Universalium
Hand-knitting — is a special case of knitting, in which the knitted fabric is produced by hand.Flat and circular knittingWeft knit fabrics can be divided into two types: those that have selvages (side edges) and those that are tubes, where the side edges have… … Wikipedia