- Walter Achiu
Walter Tin Kit ("Sneeze") Achiu (born August 03, 1902 in
Honolulu, Hawaiiand died March 21, 1989) was a Chinese-Hawaiian-American football player. Walter was most notably known as the first Asian to play in the National Football League. He was one of the first minorities to play in any major American professional sports league, preceding Jackie Robinson's entry to Major League Baseballby twenty years. He was elected into the University of DaytonAthletic Hall of Fame in 1974.
Achiu was a standout three sport athlete (football, baseball, and track) at the
University of Daytonfrom 1922-1927.
Achiu played for the now defunct
Dayton Trianglesof the NFL in 1927 and 1928. He was primarily used as a running backand defensive back. He later became a well-known professional wrestler.
* [http://daytonflyers.cstv.com/hallfame/dayt-hallfame.html University of Dayton Athletic Hall of Fame Members]
* [http://www.databasefootball.com/players/playerpage.htm?ilkid=ACHIUWAL01 DatabaseFootball.com: Walt Achiu]
* Wikipedia List of Retired American Football Players
* [http://www.nfl.com/news/000131pearlsofwisdom.html NFL News: Pearls of Wisdom]
* [http://www.starbulletin.com/1999/08/03/sports/kwon.html Honolulu Star-Bulletin:Sports Watch]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
List of retired professional American football players — This is a list of individuals who formerly played professional American football in the NFL, AFL, AAFC and other major leagues. See also one of the other lists of American football players for more names.A* Joe Abbey, End, [1948 1949] * Fay… … Wikipedia