- Pat Ingoldsby
Pat Ingoldsby (born 1942 [ [http://www.irishwriters-online.com/patingoldsby.html Pat Ingoldsby] ] ) is an Irish
poet. He has hosted children's TV shows, written plays for the stage and for radio, published books of short stories, and been a newspaper columnist. Since the mid-nineties, he has withdrawn from the mass media, and is most widely known for his books of poems, and his selling of them on the streets of Dublin. The poems in his books vary starkly between humorous and sad.
In the 80's, Pat hosted children's TV shows named Pat's Hat, and Pat's Chat, and he appeared regularly on
Boscoas a story reader. His plays include Bats or Booze or Both (Dublin, Project Arts Centre, 1977); Hisself (Dublin, Peacock Theatre, 1978); Rhymin’ Simon (Peacock Theatre, 1978); When Am I Getting’ Me Clothes (Peacock Theatre, 1978); Yeukface the Yeuk and the Spotty Grousler (Peacock, 1982); and The Full Shilling (Dublin, Gaeity Theatre, 1986).
In the early nineties, he had a column in the
Evening Press(a now-gone newspaper of Ireland). These stories were later published as "The Peculiar Sensation Of Being Irish".
Pat is a fluent Irish speaker and includes a few poems written in Irish in each book of poetry.
He lives in Clontarf, in Dublin, Ireland. Since sometime in the mid-nineties, he has withdrawn from TV, Radio, and play writing. Writing poems has replaced these outlets. Pat is still part of Ireland's Arts scene, sometimes opening Art exhibitions [http://www.art.ie/viewevent1.asp?ID=22778] , introducing then-new musicians such as David Gray [http://homepage.tinet.ie/~drunken/interview1.html] , or launching other people's books [http://www.malahidecameraclub.com/reviews/club_reviews99_00.html] .
He publishes his own books through Willow Publications, which he set up and named after one of his cats (who later died).
Some of his books since 1998 have carried a note that they are protected by the "Bratislava Accord 1993, section 2 cre/009 manifest-minsk", the terms of which allegedly protect his book's content from being included in:
* "school textbooks"
* "elocution classes"
* "anything with the word "Arts" in it."
Most of Pat's poems are about his personal experiences, observations of life in Dublin, or mildly surreal humorous possibilities.
Topics of personal experiences vary from the death of his father, or the electroshock therapy he received (circa 1988), to his appreciation of the natural world or his pets (mostly cats, but also some fish). His cats' include are Rince, Runda and Go Deo.
Observations of Dublin are mostly humorous conversations overheard on the bus, or the characters he sees and talks to while selling his books on the streets. Some observations are not so cheerful as he also sees the drunks and the homeless of Dublin city, and the some aspects of modernisation which he isn't pleased with.
His most distinctive style of poetry is his humorist style. A recurring character, Wesley Quench, appears in roles such as the driver of a Flying See-Saw Brigade. Another poem, "Vagina in the Vatican", depicts a vagina sneaking into the Vatican unstopped because no one knew what it was - except for a few who couldn't let slip that they did.
He also occasionally produces stories for children. These are a childish version of his mildly surreal style.
During the rapid increase in the use of
mobile telephones, he offered a "Mobile Phone Euthanasia" services on the streets of Dublin, where he would destroy phones for annoyed owners.
Maeve Ingoldsbyis a playwright.
His books of poems
* You've Just Finished Reading This Title
* Rhyme Doesn't With Reason
* Up The Leg Of Your Jacket
* Welcome To My Head (Please Remove Your Boots) (1986)
* Salty Water (1988)
* Scandal Sisters (1990)
* How Was It For You Doctor? (1994)
* Poems So Fresh And So New ...Yahoo! (1995)
* If You Don't Tell Anybody I Won't (1996)
* See Liz She Spins (1997)
* Half A Hug (1998)
* Beautiful Cracked Eyes (1999)
* The Blue E-Tee Wet! (2000)
* Do Lámh I Mo Bhrístí (2001)
* The Frenchwoman And The Sky (2003)
* Once Upon A 'hide (2004)
* I'm Out Here (2005)
* Can I get in the bath? (2007)
His other works
* Hisself (Play, Peacock Theatre, Dublin)
* When am I Gettin' Me Clothes (Play, Peacock Theatre, Dublin) (Later adapted for radio play on
RTÉ Radio 1)
* "Note: another of his plays ran in the Gaiety too, not sure which one though"
* The Dark Days of Denny Lacey (radio play, RTÉ Radio 1)
* She Came Up From the Sea (radio play, RTÉ Radio 1)
* Fire Is Far Enough (radio play, RTÉ Radio 1)
* Liffey Ever Is (radio play, RTÉ Radio 1)
* The Peculiar Sensation Of Being Irish (short stories) (1995) ISBN 1-873548-31-1
* Laugh Without Prejudice (short stories) (1996) ISBN 1-873548-37-0
* My Own Voice (Audio CD of Pat reading some poems)
* Let Me Into Your Ear (Audio CD of Pat reading more of his poems)
* Zaney Tales (short stories book)
* Rhymin' Simon (Play)
* Yeukface the Yeuk and the Spotty Grousler (Play)
* Tell Me A Story Pat (Audio Tape)
Ingoldsby also wrote some episodes of
Location of Pat
A lot of the time, Pat can be found selling his books of poetry on Westmoreland Street. Pat's suggestion for finding him is to ask the roadsweepers if they've seen him.
* [http://www.patingoldsby.com Pat's Bit Of Cyberspace] - An official homepage, run by a friend of Pat, for Pat
* [http://www.patingoldsby.casey-ellis.com/willowpub.html Willow Publications] - most positions are held by cats
* [http://irishplayography.com/search/person.asp?PersonID=4521 Irish playwright credits]
* [http://www.spiritofmaat.com/archive/feb1/nomore.htm No More (or "Don't kill anyone for me")] , a poem from "How was it for you Doctor?", about the trouble in
* [http://www.irishwriters-online.com/patingoldsby.html Ingoldsby's entry on Irish Writers Online]
* [http://darraghdoyle.blogspot.com/2008/05/have-chat-with-pat.html Blog entry about Pat Ingoldsby, with a number of photographs]
* [http://www.footballpoets.org/p.asp?Id=6390 A football poem by Pat Ingoldsby]
Since Pat withdrew from the media spotlight before the blossoming of the Internet, it can be hard to find information about him and his work. The following links contains small bits of information.
* [http://www.geocities.com/stassam.geo/raheny2.html A page mentioning Pat's father]
* [http://web.archive.org/web/20051127015258/http://www.screenproducersireland.com/companies/graph.html An archive copy of a page which mentions a 1983 film about Pat "Between Stations"]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
См. также в других словарях:
List of Irish people — This is a list of famous Irish people.It covers * People who were born on the island of Ireland and/or who have lived there for most of their lives. * People who, though not necessarily ever having been born or lived in Ireland, have been raised… … Wikipedia
Wanderly Wagon — was an Irish children s television series which aired on RTÉ from 1968 until 1982. Wanderly Wagon followed human and puppet characters as they travelled around Ireland visiting interesting locations, rescuing princesses and generally doing good.… … Wikipedia
1942 in Ireland — Events*March 3 Due to the The Emergency the rationing of gas is introduced. *March 5 It is announced that Ireland is to have a new Central Bank replacing the old Currency Commission. *June 2 Speed levels are restricted to prevent wear of tyres on … Wikipedia
Jackdaw — This article is about the species Coloeus monedula, sometimes known as the Eurasian Jackdaw. For the species Coloeus dauuricus of eastern Asia, see Daurian Jackdaw. For other uses, see Jackdaw (disambiguation). Jackdaw … Wikipedia
Toronto Maple Leafs/Spielerliste — Dieser Artikel dient der Darstellung von Spielerlisten und Statistiken der Toronto Maple Leafs, für die im Hauptartikel nur wenig Platz ist. Darunter fallen Spielerlisten aller seit der Umbenennung 1927 in Toronto Maple Leafs in der National… … Deutsch Wikipedia
41st Grammy Awards — Infobox Grammy Awards name = 41st imagesize = 80px date = February 24, 1999 venue = Shrine Auditorium, Los Angeles, California host = Rosie O Donnell network = CBS last = 1998 next = 2000The 41st Grammy Awards were held on February 24, 1999. They … Wikipedia
Terry Wogan — This article is about the Irish broadcaster. For the Irish footballer of the same name, see Terry Wogan (footballer). For other people with the title Sir Terry, see Sir Terry (disambiguation). Terry Wogan Wogan at his Investiture Born … Wikipedia
Ray of Light — Infobox Album | Name = Ray of Light Type = Album Artist = Madonna Released = Start date|1998|02|22 (See release details) Recorded = May November 1997 Genre = Electronica, Alternative Rock, Techno, Ambient, Trip hop, Dance Length = 66:50 (Regular… … Wikipedia
Jody Watley (album) — Infobox Album Name = Jody Watley Type = Album Artist = Jody Watley Released = March 1987 Recorded = 1986 1987 Genre = R B/Pop/Dance Length = 46 mins. 24 secs. Label = MCA Producer = André Cymone, Bernard Edwards, Patrick Leonard, David Z. Reviews … Wikipedia
The University Observer — Infobox Student Newspaper colour = #d9d9ff name = The University Observer caption = University Observer, April 18, 2005 school = slogan = nickname = type = editor = Rob Lowney advisor = location = Belfield, Dublin, Ireland foundation = 1994… … Wikipedia