- Chris Van Den Wyngaert
Christine (Chris) Van Den Wyngaert (b. 2 April 1952, Antwerp, Belgium) is a criminal law expert, and from 2003 a judge at the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia.
In January 2009, she became appointed as a judge in the International Criminal Court, where she is a judge in the Trial Division Chamber.
- 1974: Law degree from Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Belgium;
- 1970s: Alternative career as singer-songwriter, performing (among others) with Ferre Grignard and Wannes Van de Velde, and resulting in a Long Play recording;
- 1979: Ph.D in Law, University of Brussels, Belgium;
- 1980: Ph.D thesis awarded with the Henri Rolin-prize;
- From 1985: Professor criminal law at the University of Antwerp;
- Visiting Fellow of the Centre for European Legal Studies (1994-1996) and of the Research Centre for International Law (1996‑1997) at the University of Cambridge;
- 2001: Visiting professor at the University of Stellenbosch;
- 2001: doctor honoris causa at the University of Uppsala;
- 2000 - 2002: Ad hoc Judge at the International Court of Justice in the Yerodia case;
- 2003 - 2005: Ad litem Judge at the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia;
- From 17 November 2005 (term till 2009): Permanent Judge at the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia;
- 2006: Human Rights prize from Liga voor Mensenrechten.
- ^ a b c d e f United Nations: Biographical Note Judge Christine VAN DEN WYNGAERT
- ^ (In Dutch:) Website of Humanistisch Vrijzinnige Vereniging Antwerpen: Een wereld van ontmoetingen - Chris Van de Wyngaert ("A world of encounters: Chris Van de Wyngaert")
- ^ a b VRT news site 10 December 2006: Chris Van Den Wyngaert awarded
- ^ Lex Mercatoria website: CRIME WITHOUT BORDERS - The 2nd Annual Conference of The International Criminal Law Association 15 June 2001 - Conference brochure
- ^ International Court of Justice: Arrest Warrant of 11 April 2000 (Democratic Republic of the Congo v. Belgium)
- ^ United Nations, 16 December 2003: Judges Christine Van Den Wyngaert and Krister Thelin Sworn in as Ad Litem Judges of the ICTY
- ^ Federal Public Service Foreign Affairs Belgium, 19 November 2004: Professor Christine Van den Wyngaert elected as Permanent Judge at the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia
- ^ (In Dutch:) Liga voor Mensenrechten website: Programme of "Prijs voor Mensenrechten" award, 10 December 2006
- Van Den Wyngaert, C. Political Offence Exception to Extradition: The Delicate Problem of Balancing the Rights of the Individual and the International Public Order. Kluwer Academic, 1980, ISBN 90-268-1185-3.
- (In Dutch:) Van Den Wyngaert, C. Strafrecht en strafprocesrecht in hoofdlijnen. 1991. 6th revised edition: Strafrecht, strafprocesrecht en internationaal strafrecht in hoofdlijnen. Maklu, 2006, ISBN 9046600653.
- Van Den Wyngaert, C. et al. Criminal procedure systems in the European Community. Butterworths, 1993, ISBN 0406022763.
- Van Den Wyngaert, C. et al. International Criminal Law and Procedure. Dartmouth - Ashgate, 1996, ISBN 1-85521-835-6.
- Van Den Wyngaert, C. et al. International Criminal Law: A Collection of International and European Instruments. Brill Academic Publishers,
- University of Antwerp website: Criminal law/international criminal law - C. Van den Wyngaert - Current research topics.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.