- 1999 Fiesta Bowl
Name=1999 Fiesta Bowl
January 4, 1999
Visitor School=University of Tennessee
Visitor Name Short=Tennessee
Home School= Florida State University
Home Name Short=Florida State
Sun Devil Stadium
Keith Jackson, Bob Griese
Anthem=Southwest Iowa and Mountain Pointe High School bands
Peerless Price, WR
Dwayne Goodrich, CB
Fiesta Bowl, the designated BCS National Championship Game, was played on January 4, 1999 in Tempe, Arizonaat Sun Devil Stadium. The teams were the Tennessee Volunteers and Florida State Seminoles. The 1998 Tennessee Volunteers football teamwon the football program's fourth National Championship after a gap of forty-seven years by beating the Seminoles by a score of 23-16. The Seminoles rebounded to win the National Championship the next year.
After a scoreless first quarter, Tennessee's QB
Tee Martinfired a 4 yard touchdown pass to FB Shawn Bryson, for the Vols to open up an early 7-0 lead. Bryson's TD came after the Vols took a Jeff Hall field goal off the board due to a roughing-the-kicker penalty. Shortly thereafter, Florida State had the ball near midfield. Seminole QB Marcus Outzen threw an interception to Vol CB Dwayne Goodrichwho was covering WR Peter Warrick, and it was returned 54 yards for a touchdown, and Tennessee opened up a 14-0 lead. The two scores both occurred in the first 25 seconds of the second quarter. Goodrich's interception changed the complexion of the game and forced Florida State to play from behind.
Florida State did get on the board later in the second quarter with a 1 yard run by FB William McCray, but
Sebastian Janikowskimissed an extra point, so the score stood at 14-6. At the end of the half, Janikowski drilled a 34 yard field goal, and the lead was cut to 14-9.
The second half saw a new challenge for the Vols, who were clinging to a narrow lead. Corner Dwayne Goodrich, who had the interception for a touchdown in the first half, was unable to play in the second half due to an ankle injury. He was replaced by Gerald Griffin, who had not seen much action that season. Griffin was assigned to cover Warrick, and did an adequate job, limiting Warrick to one catch for the game.
The Vol defense as a unit also held its own. Once again both team failed to score for an entire quarter. After the scoreless third quarter, the Vols got back on the scoreboard again. Tee Martin fired a 78 yard touchdown pass to
Peerless Price, and the Vols reclaimed a 20-9 lead, after a missed extra point by K Jeff Hall.
Later, Tennessee added a 23 yard field goal by Hall, and the lead extended to 23-9. But Florida State was not conceding the outcome yet. Seminole quarterback Marcus Outzen scrambled for a 7 yard touchdown, capping a Florida State drive, and the lead was cut to 23-16. With under 2 minutes to go in the game, Tennessee RB
Travis Henryfumbled and turned the ball over to Florida State. However Florida State was intercepted by CB Steve Johnson, and the Vols ended with a victory.
* While Tennessee limited Peter Warrick while the Seminoles were on offense, Warrick was still successful in the return game. One memorable play, however, saw Tennessee punter David Leaverton make an open field tackle on Warrick. Had Warrick gotten past Leaverton, he would have most likely scored a touchdown. Instead, The Seminoles were held scoreless on the drive, and ended up losing by seven points, the same number saved by the tackle.
* Florida State contained the Vol passing attack except for two big plays. The first was Peerless Price's 79 yard touchdown reception from Tee Martin. The other was also another fade route from Martin to Price that covered 76 yards and set up another Vol score.
* Tennessee walk-on Tim Sewell had a blocked punt.
* Tennessee had 114 yards rushing, but leading carrier
Travis Henryhad only 28 yards rushing. The yards were spread out among Henry, Travis Stephens, Tee Martin, and Shawn Bryson.
* Peerless Price's 199 yards receiving broke a Tennessee bowl record, held formerly by Anthony Hancock. Hancock had 196 yards in the 1981 Garden State Bowl.
* The Tennessee defense held Florida State to only 253 total yards on offense. However, WR Ron Dugans had six catches for 135 yards to account for most of the total.
* The win was the first ever for an SEC team in the
* Tennessee's seniors left the school with a 45-5 record after this game.
* [http://utsports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/fball-bowls/b40.htm UTSports.com recap]
* [http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/college/1998/bowls/fiesta/news/1999/01/04/third_notes/ Sports Illustrated Recap]
* [http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/college/1998/bowls/fiesta/news/1999/01/05/rocky/index.html CNNSI.com Recap]
* 1999 Tennessee Volunteers Football Media Guide
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
1999 Rose Bowl — NCAAFootballSingleGameHeader Name=1999 Rose Bowl Date=January 1, 1999 Year=1998 Visitor School=University of Wisconsin Madison Visitor Name Short=Wisconsin Visitor Nickname=Badgers Visitor Record=10 1 Visitor Visitor Coaches=8 Visitor BCS=9… … Wikipedia
Fiesta Bowl — Tostitos Fiesta Bowl Tostitos Fiesta Bowl logo Stadium University of Phoenix Stadium Location Glendale, Arizona … Wikipedia
Fiesta Bowl — 2007, Boise State Broncos vs. Oklahoma Sooners Der Fiesta Bowl ist ein seit 1971 ausgetragenes Spiel im College Football, dem Hochschulspielbetrieb der National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) im American Football in den USA, das jedes… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Fiesta Bowl — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Fiesta Bowl Glendale (Arizona) Estadio University of Phoenix … Wikipedia Español
Fiesta Bowl — Le Fiesta Bowl est un match de football américain universitaire se tenant depuis 1971. Il avait lieu à Tempe (Arizona) au Sun Devil Stadium de 1971 à 2006. À partir de 2007, le Fiesta Bowl se tient à Glendale (Arizona) au University of Phoenix… … Wikipédia en Français
Fiesta Bowl — ▪ football game annual American college postseason gridiron football (football, gridiron) game held at the University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, Ariz., beginning in 2008, after being played at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe, Ariz., for the … Universalium
Fiesta Bowl Table — ▪ Table Fiesta Bowl season result 1971–72 Arizona State 45 Florida State 38 1972–73 Arizona State 49 Missouri 35 1973–74 Arizona State 28 Pittsburgh 7 1974–75 Oklahoma State 16 Brigham Young 6 1975–76 Arizona State 17 Nebraska 14 1976–77… … Universalium
Tostitos Fiesta Bowl — Fiesta Bowl Le Fiesta Bowl est un match de football américain universitaire se tenant depuis 1971. Il avait lieu à Tempe (Arizona) au Sun Devil Stadium de 1971 à 2006. A partir de 2007, le Fiesta Bowl se tiendra à Glendale (Arizona) au University … Wikipédia en Français
2003 Fiesta Bowl — 2003 Tostitos Fiesta Bowl National Championship Game Ohio State Buckeyes Miami Hurricanes … Wikipedia
2000 Fiesta Bowl — NCAAFootballSingleGameHeader Name=2000 Fiesta Bowl Date=January 2, 2000 Year=1999 Visitor Name Short=Tennessee Visitor Nickname=Volunteers Visitor Record=9 2 Visitor Visitor Coaches=5 Visitor BCS=5 Visitor Coach=Phillip Fulmer Visitor1=0 Visitor2 … Wikipedia