Edward Cuthbert Butler (1858 – 1934) was an English Benedictine historian, and Abbot of Downside Abbey. He is known for his history of Vatican I, and his writing on mysticism.
- The Lausiac History of Palladius (1898)
- Benedictine Monachism (1919)
- Western Mysticism: The Teaching of SS Augustine Gregory and Bernard on Contemplation and the Contemplative Life (1922)
- The Life & Times of Bishop Ullathorne (1806-1889) (1926)
- Religions of Authority and The Religion of the Spirit (1930) essays
- The Vatican Council. The Story Told From Inside in Bishop Ullathorne's Letters, two volumes (1930)
- Ways of Christian Life: Old Spirituality for Modern Men (1932)
- ^ Based on correspondence of William Bernard Ullathorne. Gertrude Himmelfarb describes this work (1930) as designed to support papal infallibility (cited on ).