- Fashion Island
Fashion Island Mall
Location Newport Beach, California Opening date 1967 Management The Irvine Company Owner The Irvine Company No. of anchor tenants 4 No. of floors 3 Website 
Opened in 1967 as part of Newport Center, the mall featured four department stores: Buffum's, J. W. Robinson's, The Broadway, and J.C. Penney. These four initial buildings were designed by architects William Pereira and Welton Becket, and were flanked by several smaller stores. The Spanish architectural theme which would later define the mall was evident in the Robinson's building. In the late 1970s, Bullocks Wilshire (which later became I. Magnin) and Neiman Marcus were added. In the early 1980s, J.C. Penney moved out, and the building it occupied was reconstructed and reopened as "Atrium Court", which contained numerous smaller shops and a food court on the lower level.
The southwest entrance to Robinson's features a bronze wind-chime sculpture by mural artist Tom Van Sant, installed in September 1967, that was recorded by the Guinness Book of Records as the world's largest wind chime. (Possibly supplanted by Eureka Springs, Ark. in 2007.)
In 1988, the center underwent a major expansion and renovation based on the design of Jon Jerde, adding the Island Terrace Food Court, an eight-screen movie theater, and three new avenues of shops, all of which converge in a circular courtyard with an animated fountain that shoots jets of water up to 30 feet (9.1 m) high. This fountain is known as the "Iris Fountain" because of the radial-leaves pattern of its marble lining coupled with the jets of water that suggests the iris plant.
In 1990, the Bullocks Wilshire store became an I. Magnin. Federated Department Stores, which owned I. Magnin closed the chain in the mid 1990s, and the store was replaced with a Bullock's Women's Store. When Federated shuttered the Bullock's chain, the store was replaced again by Macy's as a Macy's Women's Store. Buffum's closed in 1991, and its space was later subdivided into smaller stores. After the consolidation of J. W. Robinson's and May Company California, the Robinson's store became a Robinsons-May in 1993. The Broadway, whose parent company had been purchased by Federated was done away with in 1996, and was replaced by one of the first Bloomingdale's stores on the West Coast.
In the early 2000s the mall underwent additional minor renovations resulting in the alteration and replacement of landscape elements, building facades, outdoor furniture ,and floor materials to better reflect the Mediterranean theme. Included in this renovation was the installment of a carousel and a new wing with restaurants and shops, although the carousel was removed in January 2010 as part of major renovations of the center. 
The Federated-May merger in 2006, greatly affected Fashion Island, resulting in the closure and demolition of the 80,000 square feet (7,400 m2) Macy's Women's Store and conversion of the former Robinsons-May into a full-line Macy's store.
On January 29, 2008, Nordstrom announced that it had signed a letter of intent to open a 138,000 sq ft (12,800 m2) store in 2010 in the former Macy's Women's Store location. On April 16, 2010 Nordstrom Fashion Island officially opened.
- Bloomingdale's 187,534 sq ft (17,422.5 m2)
- Bloomingdale's Home Store 62,000 sq ft (5,800 m2)
- Macy's 224,219 sq ft (20,830.6 m2)
- Neiman Marcus 153,000 sq ft (14,200 m2)
- Nordstrom 138,000 sq ft (12,800 m2)
- Canaletto Ristorante Veneto
- Fleming's Prime Steakhouse & Wine Bar
- Rustica California Wine Bistro
The large courtyard outside the Bloomingdale's building is occupied annually by a large Christmas tree. About a week before Christmas, every year, the tree is lit, preceded by extravagant holiday performances. The trees are taken from a private timber area near Mount Shasta, and shipped to Fashion Island in several pieces, which are then re-assembled using steel rods and a large crane.
- ^ Liddane, Lisa (November 12, 2009). "Fashion Island on schedule to remove carousel". The Orange County Register. http://retail.freedomblogging.com/2009/11/12/fashion-island-on-schedule-to-remove-carousel/15249/. Retrieved November 15, 2009.
- ^ "Fashion Island Shuts Down Carousel". Corona Del Mar Today. January 4, 2010. http://www.coronadelmartoday.com/home/fashion-island-shuts-down-carousel/. Retrieved January 8, 2010.
- ^ "Nordstrom To Open At Fashion Island" (Press release). Irvine Company. January 27, 2008. http://www.irvinecompany.com/press-room/press-release.aspx?id=1196. Retrieved October 11, 2009.
- ^ Collins, Jeff (June 26, 2009). "Fashion Island's pricey face-lift". The Orange County Register: p. Business 1. http://www.ocregister.com/articles/new-31750-ocprint-mall-features.html.
- ^ "Fashion Island Announces A Bold New Look" (Press release). Irvine Company. June 25, 2009. http://www.irvinecompany.com/press-room/press-release.aspx?id=1937.
- ^ Jeff Overley (2009-12-10). "O.C. no longer home to tallest Christmas tree". The Orange County Register. http://www.ocregister.com/news/tree-223481-christmas-feet.html. Retrieved 2009-12-11.
- ^ "Nation's Tallest Christmas Tree at M Resort". KLAS-TV. 2009-12-11. http://www.lasvegasnow.com/Global/story.asp?S=11662986. Retrieved 2009-12-11.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Fashion Island — Außenansi … Deutsch Wikipedia
Fashion (horse) — Fashion (1837 to 1860), was a famous Thoroughbred racing mare before the American Civil War, and was therefore involved in many a North vs. South match race.In FashionFashion was as popular then as Seabiscuit in his time, or as Silky Sullivan in… … Wikipedia
Fashion Show Mall — Vue du centre commercial. Pays … Wikipédia en Français
Fashion House — For a commercial company associated exclusively with fashion, see Fashion design. Fashion House Logo Format Telenovela Created by Colet Abedi … Wikipedia
Fashion Place West (UTA station) — Infobox Station style= name= Fashion Place West image size= image caption= address=6400 SouthMurray, UT [cite web |url=http://rideuta.com/images/08NEWRailCarMap.jpg|title=UTA Rail System Map |accessdate=2008 05 31 |publisher=Utah Transit… … Wikipedia
Balboa Island, Newport Beach, California — Balboa Island is an area of Newport Beach, California actually comprising three modified or artificial islands in Newport Harbor: Balboa Island (coord|33|36|23|N|117|53|40|W|), the largest; the smaller Little Balboa Island… … Wikipedia
1910s in fashion — Fashion in the years 1910 1919 is characterized by a rich and exotic opulence in the first half of the decade in contrast with the somber practicality of garments worn during the Great War. Men s trousers were worn cuffed to ankle length and… … Wikipedia
Rhode Island School of Design — infobox University name= Rhode Island School of Design motto= endowment= $380 million [cite news | last = | first = | coauthors = | title =College and University Endowments Over $250 Million, 2007 | work =Chronicle of Higher Education | pages =28 … Wikipedia
Rokko Island — Rokkō Island (jap. 六甲アイランド, Rokkō airando) ist eine 5,95 km² große künstliche Insel in der Bucht von Ōsaka in Japan. Sie bildet die Stadtteile Kōyō chō Nishi (向洋町西), Kōyō chō Naka (向洋町中) und Kōyō chō Higashi (向洋町東) im Stadtbezirk Higashinada der… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Rokkō Island — (jap. 六甲アイランド, Rokkō airando) ist eine 5,95 km² große künstliche Insel in der Bucht von Ōsaka in Japan. Sie bildet die Stadtteile Kōyō chō Nishi (向洋町西), Kōyō chō Naka (向洋町中) und Kōyō chō Higashi (向洋町東) im Stadtbezirk Higashinada der Stadt Kōbe in … Deutsch Wikipedia