- 1995 AFL season
Infobox AFL season
year = 1995
imagesize = 100px
caption = AFL logo 1990-1999
teams = 16
premiers = AFL Car
count = 16th
minor premiers = AFL Car
national cup winners = AFL Nor
nccount = 1st
highest attendance =
top goal scorer =
Gary Ablett(AFL Gee)
brownlow medallist =
Paul Kelly(AFL Syd)Results and statistics for the Australian Football Leagueseason of 1995.
North Melbourne defeated Adelaide 14.9 (93) to 8.15 (63).
Brownlow Medalwas awarded to Paul Kelly of the Sydney Swans.
Leigh Matthews Trophywas awarded to Wayne Careyof North Melbourne.
Coleman Medalwas awarded to Gary Ablettof Geelong.
Norm Smith Medalwas awarded to Greg Williamsof Carlton.
AFL Rising Staraward was awarded to Nick Hollandof Hawthorn.
* The Fremantle Dockers made their debut in the competition.
** They played their first game against Richmond at the
MCGand won their first game against Fitzroy at Whitten Oval.
* Carlton won a record 16th premiership, winning twenty games for the home-and-away season, a new record beaten in
2000 AFL season. They won their 16th consecutive match in the grand final, comfortably beating Geelong 21.15 (141) to 11.14 (80). Amidst these records, they also suffered the rare ignominy of losing to the bottom team (St Kilda) while atop the ladder in their Round 9 game.
* Richmond reached the finals for the first time since 1982, finishing 4th and making the preliminary finals.
**They won their first 7 games , winning their first five games for the first time since the early 1980s.
**They were on top of the ladder for the first time since 1982 (from rounds 9 to 12).
* Brisbane made the finals for the first time (losing to Carlton by just 13 points).
Tony Locketttransferred from St Kilda to the Sydney Swans.
* Footscray Football Club, VFL and
State of Originlegend Ted Whittendied.
**He had been given a "lap of honour" during the 1995 State of Origin match between Victoria and South Australia.
* Hawthorn missed out on the finals for the first time since the early 1980s.
**The team finished second last, failing to register a win for its last seven matches.
* Fitzroy continued to decline.
**Fitzroy failed to register a win from round 9 and finished on the bottom of the ladder with just 2 wins.
*There were many significant changes to incumbent AFL team coaches:
* After round 19, the Fitzroy coach
Bernie Quinlanwas sacked and replaced by caretaker coach Alan McConnellfor the remaining three games of their season ( Michael Nunanlater was signed as coach for 1996).
Peter Knightswas sacked as coach of Hawthorn.
John Northeyresigned from Richmond (he became coach of Brisbane in 1996).
Robert Wallsresigned as coach of Brisbane and joined Richmond as coach in 1996.
Ron Barassicoached his last VFL/AFLmatch, resigning at from the Sydney Swans at the end of 1995.
* [http://stats.rleague.com/afl/seas/1995.html 1995 Season - AFL Tables]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.