- Robert M. Citino
name = Robert M. Citino
image_size = 130px
caption = Robert Citino's faculty picture
birth_date = birth date|1958|6|19|mf=y
Writer, Professor, Historian
main interests =
German Military History, Music, World War II
spouse = Roberta Citino
Robert M. Citino (born
19 June 1958) is an American history professor, scholar and writer currently teaching at Eastern Michigan University(EMU). He specializes in German military historyand has earned acclaim by writing several historical books on the subject. He has appeared as a consultant on the History Channelseveral times on the subject of World War IIand German military tactics.
Citino was born in Cleveland,
Ohio. After graduating with his Bachelor's degree in history from Ohio State University, where he graduated Magna Cum Laude in 1978, Citino then went on to earn his Master's and PhD from Indiana Universityin 1980 and 1984, respectively. He is married with three daughters, and has taught history at EMU for more than a decade, occasionally taking a sabbatical to write another book. He is fluent in German and is a prolific reader of early 20th century German military literature, particularly the "Militär-Wochenblatt", a professional German military periodical published from 1816 to 1942.
Citino is one of America's leading authorities on German military history. Having appeared repeatedly on the History Channel as a consultant on various related subjects, notably on "Hard Target"; where he discussed the failure of U.S. intelligence before the
Battle of the Bulgein December 1944, and on HistoryCENTER where he discussed the fall of Japan in the last eight months of World War II. He has also authored numerous books, notably "The Path to Blitzkrieg", "Quest For Decisive Victory", "Blitzkrieg to Desert Storm", and "The German Way of War". His eighth book, "The Death of the Wehrmacht", was released on September 6, 2007. In 2005 his book "The German Way of War" was chosen as one of two selections of the month for the Military Book Club, competing with Oliver North's "War Stories III".
Citino is a proponent of changing the current nomenclature of German military tactics. Although he uses the word "
Blitzkrieg" on the cover of his books, he has always espoused the view that it should be called by its proper German military term, "Bewegungskrieg", or maneuver warfare. He has taught history classes at Eastern Michigan University for over a decade, mostly on German military history, stressing the doctrines of maneuver warfare to create a " Kesselschlacht" and the German doctrine of " Auftragstaktik". Citino has also taught classes about Adolf Hitler's Nazi Germany, the Holocaust, as well as American military history. In 1993 he won EMU’s Teaching I Award for his enthusiasm in the classroom and his ability to inspire student interest in history.
Dr. Citino will be a visiting professor at the
United States Military Academyin West Point, NYfor the 2008-09 academic year.
* Citino (1984). "Polen Greift An: Germany's Eastern Defenses, 1918-1933." PhD Dissertation, Indiana University Press
* Citino (1987). "The Evolution of Blitzkrieg Tactics: Germany Defends Itself Against Poland, 1918-1933." Ph.D. dissertation, Greenwood Press.
* Citino (unknown). "The Rise and Development of Armored Warfare: A Reference Guide."
* Citino (unknown). "Crane Army Ammunition Activity Annual Historical Review Fiscal Years 1980-1983."
* Citino (1991). "Germany and the Union of South Africa in the Nazi Period." Greenwood Press.
* Citino (1994). "Armored Forces: History and Sourcebook." Greenwood Press.
* Citino (1999). "The Path to Blitzkrieg: Doctrine and Training in the German Army, 1920-1939." Lynne Rienner; Stackpole Books (paperback, 2008)
* Citino (2000). "Was the Reputation of the Wehrmacht for Military Superiority Deserved?" In "History in Dispute" 4, "World War II, 1939-1945" Detroit: St. James Press.
* Citino (2001). "The Weimar Roots of German Military Planning." In "Military Planning and the Origins of the Second World War in Europe." edited by B.J.C. McKercher and Roch Legault. Westport, Conn.: Praeger.
* Citino (2002). "Quest for Decisive Victory: From Stalemate to Blitzkrieg in Europe, 1899-1940." University Press of Kansas.
* Citino (2004). "Blitzkrieg to Desert Storm: The Evolution of Operational Warfare." University Press of Kansas.
* Citino (2005). "The German Way of War: From the Thirty Years' War to the Third Reich." University Press of Kansas.
* Citino (2007). "The Death of the Wehrmacht: The Campaigns of 1942." University Press of Kansas.
* Citino (2007). "Military Histories Past and Present: A Reintroduction." American Historical Review vol.112 no.4
* Citino (2008). "The Path To Blitzkrieg: Doctrine and Training in the German Army 1920-39." Stackpole Books.
Honors and awards
* Phi Beta Kappa
* Phi Kappa Phi
* Phi Alpha Theta
* Summa Award for Scholarship, 1976
* Magna cum laude 1978
* National Resource Fellowship, Indiana University 1982
* Susan O'Kell Memorial Award for Outstanding Associate Instructor, 1982
* Letter of Commendation, Crane Army Ammunition Activity, 1983
* Eastern Michigan University Teacher I Excellence Award 1993
* History Book Club "Book Of the Month" August 2002
* Winner of the Birdsall Prize, from the American Historical Association
* Winner of the Distinguished Book Award, Society for Military History
* Voted 2007's #1 Professor in the Nation on RateMyProfessor.com
* The Charles Boal Ewing Distinguished Visiting Professor 2008/2009 West Point US Military Academy
* Citino played in a
rock & rollband while attending college
* He achieved his Bachelor's degree in only 3 years, taking 25 credit hours in a semester
* He sometimes browses internet news websites and
blogsto keep himself up to date on world affairs
* Robert Citino is a
* He used to wear oversized hockey jerseys to his lectures before he lost weight
* Does a stellar
Luftwaffeair strike impression
* He claims that his house is stacked high with issues of the "Militär-Wochenblatt"
* He was once lectured about one of his own books by a student in his class who did not recognize him
* He is a
* He plays the
electric guitar,the drums, AND the bass guitar
* Regularly attends concerts with his daughter like
Morrissey, Bob Dylanand Elvis Costello
* Speaks German, French, Italian, Polish and Latin
* He is known by many students as the king of "Keeping It Casual".
* Provided expert commentary for the History Channel on the films: "Battle of the Bulge" and "Flying Misfits."
*He has been a guest professor of Military History at the US Military Academy at West Point, NY.
* [http://www.amazon.com/s?index=books&rank=-relevance%2C%2Bavailability%2C-daterank&field-author-exact=Citino%2C%20Robert%20M. Citino's books available for sale at Amazon]
* [http://www.emich.edu/focus_emu/013106/peoplecolumn.html Citino discusses "The German Way of War"]
* [http://www.emich.edu/univcomm/easternexperts/c.htm Listing at EMU]
* [http://www.germanwarmachine.com Consulting editor]
* [http://www.questia.com/PM.qst?a=o&d=24379283 Questia: Germany and the Union of South Africa in the Nazi Period]
* [http://www.questia.com/PM.qst;jsessionid=GTzLknFLvPMjw3LfL0lYPLxjqPhsZpbtmGYDj6wYVpJVwsLzpKZf!-2128285027?a=o&d=27289710 Questia: Armored Forces: History and Sourcebook]
* [http://www.questia.com/PM.qst?a=o&d=105961025 Questia: The Path to Blitzkrieg: Doctrine and Training in the German Army, 1920-1939]
* [http://www.kansaspress.ku.edu/printbyauthor.html University of Kansas Press Authors By Last Name]
* [http://ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=23294 Professor Citino's "Rate My Professor" page]
* [http://professorsstrikeback.mtvu.com/robert-citino-eastern-michigan-university/#more-52 Professor Citino on mtvU's Professors Strike Back]
* [http://www.pritzkermilitarylibrary.org/events/2005-05-05-robertCitino.jsp Interview] on "Blitzkrieg to Desert Storm" at the
Pritzker Military Library
* [http://www.historycooperative.org/journals/ahr/112.4/citino.html American Historical Review Article October 2007]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
См. также в других словарях:
Prussian Army — The Prussian Army ( de. Preußische Armee) was the army of the Kingdom of Prussia. It was vital to the development of Brandenburg Prussia as a European power.The Prussian Army had its roots in the meager mercenary forces of Brandenburg during the… … Wikipedia
Royal Prussian Army of the Napoleonic Wars — The Royal Prussian Army was the principal armed force of the Kingdom of Prussia during its participation in the Napoleonic Wars.Frederick the Great s successor, his nephew Frederick William II (1786 ndash;97), relaxed conditions in Prussia and… … Wikipedia
Anton Wilhelm von L'Estocq — (16 August 1738 ndash; 5 January 1815) was a Prussian cavalry general best known for his command of the Prussian troops at the Battle of Eylau.BiographyL Estocq was born in Celle, the son of a Huguenot Prussian officer. In 1757 he became a cadet… … Wikipedia
Armée prussienne — Bataille de Hohenfriedberg Attaque de l Infanterie prussienne, 4 juin 1745, par Carl Röchling. L Armée prussienne (allemand : Königlich Preußische Armee) était l armée du Royaume de Prusse. Ces forces armées furent essentie … Wikipédia en Français
Battle of Annaberg — Infobox Military Conflict conflict=Battle of Annaberg partof=Silesian Uprisings caption=Silesia in 1905 date=May 21 ndash;26, 1921 place= Annaberg, near Annaberg O.S., Upper Silesia, Germany result=German victory combatant1=flagicon|Poland Polish … Wikipedia
Battle of Warsaw (1656) — Infobox Military Conflict conflict=Battle of Warsaw caption=Swedish king Charles X Gustav in skirmish with Polish Tartars near Warsaw 1656 partof=The Deluge date=July 18 July 20, 1656 place=near Warsaw, Poland result=Swedish Brandenburger victory … Wikipedia
Eduard Vogel von Falckenstein — Eduard Ernst Friedrich Hannibal Vogel von Fal(c)kenstein (5 January 1797 ndash; 6 April 1885) was a Prussian General der Infanterie.Falckenstein was born in Breslau in Prussian Silesia as the son of Hannibal Vogel von Falckenstein (1750 1808). On … Wikipedia
Kesselschlacht — Kesselschlacht, auch Umfassungsschlacht oder Belagerung, beschreibt eine militärische Lage, bei der eine Kriegspartei den Gegner mit eigenen Truppen umschlossen hat. Bekannte Kesselschlachten sind Cannae, Tannenberg und die Schlacht von… … Deutsch Wikipedia
List of World War II topics (R) — # R planes # R Adams Cowley # R boat # R. Burnett Miller # R. D. Oliver # R. F. Patrick Cronin # R. G. Waldeck # R. Harmon Drew, Sr. # R. Horne # R. Norris Williams # R4M rocket # Raab Katzenstein RK 26 # RAAF Station Bairnsdale # Rab battalion # … Wikipedia
List of military writers — This is a list of military writers, alphabetical by last name.See also list of military theorists. * Herodotus * Thucydides *Aeneas Tacticus * Xenophon *Polyaenus * Vegetius * Leo VI the Wise, Byzantine emperor ( Taktika ) * Niccolò Machiavelli ( … Wikipedia